Poll: Should circumcision be the person's own choice?

Page 4 of 89 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by A Day to Remember View Post
    I cant see why anyone would want to be uncircumcised, its more comfortable for yourself and your partner (as out generation it is the "norm" to be circumcised, most girls ive met have said they would never be interested in a guy who isnt) and its easier to clean and take care of. It baffles my mind to think someone would chose to remain uncircumcised, much less consider it illegal lol.
    -Firstly it's not about looks, it's about human rights. One's right to self determination. If you are speaking cosmetic surgery then that is a decision that a fully informed ADULT should make for themselves.

-Secondly, only 30% of the world's population is circumcised. Specifically 30% in America in 2009. And 20% in Europe.

-Thirdly, a large number of independent studies have shown that women find circumcised penises to be more pleasurable.

-Finally, the penis DOES indeed have a function and serve a purpose:

The function of the foreskin for women in intercourse is to seal the natural lubrication inside the vagina and provide a gentle internal massaging action. The intact penis moves in and out of its foreskin, which provides a frictionless, rolling, gliding sensation. Intact men tend to make shorter strokes that keep their bodies in contact with the clitoris more, thus aiding female orgasm (O'Hara 1999). On the other hand, the circumcised penis functions like a piston during intercourse - the head of the penis actually scrapes the lubrication out of the vagina with each stroke. As the man thrusts, his skin rubs against the vaginal entrance, causing discomfort, and sometimes pain (O'Hara 1999, Bensley 2001). Far from making sex better for women, circumcision decreases female satisfaction.

The foreskin contains several special structures that increase sexual pleasure, including the frenulum and ridged band (the end of the foreskin where it becomes internal), both of which are removed in circumcision. The LEAST sensitive parts of the foreskin are more sensitive than the MOST sensitive parts of the circumcised penis (Sorrells 2007). In other words, if you wanted to decrease a penis' sensitivity the most, circumcision would be the ideal surgery. The foreskin has nerves called fine-touch receptors which are clustered in the ridged band (Cold 1999). This type of nerve is also found in the lips and fingertips. To get an idea of the sensation these nerves provide, try this experiment: first lightly stroke your fingertip over the back of the other hand. Now stroke your fingertip over the palm of your hand. Feel the difference? That is the kind of sensation the foreskin provides, and the circumcised man is missing.
    http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...ical-realities

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post

We were born with quite a few stuff that aren't so useful to modern humans to be honest.

http://www.bloggingwv.com/20-useless...-we-need-them/

The wisdom teeth are one of the issues with which many of has had to deal with for example.
    Please don't compare something useless, like the appendix, to a person's foreskin... the foreskin has it's use.

Quote Originally Posted by stances View Post
    As someone who is circumsized it really doesn't bother me in the slightest
    Pretty much. It really doesn't bother me at all. For a male, it's also actually good for health for previously mentioned bacterial reasons.

Female circumcision though, that's just fucking wrong. It has no health benefit and in fact kills due to resulting infections afterwards sometimes.

As for the whole debate about trying to prevent masturbation... that is a stupid and useless debate. It shouldn't even enter into the equation. What you do with your junk by yourself is your own business.

Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    it is a "norm" in a very select western countries.
    Yes, the medically relevent ones, kids born in third world countries obviously dont have this done.

Calling it mutilation makes your cause lose credence.

Also, this seems like a thing for people to latch on to to be able to cry about and play the victimized man.

10+ Year Old Account
    Everyone is up and arms... To make things clear... the people saying circumcision is horrible are flat out liars... LIARS PANTS ON FIRE... haha... But honestly, I'm circumcised and I have no issues. I have plenty of sensation down there... I don't have a hard time getting it up... Matter of fact, I have NO issues.

The only argument that one can make is that it's mutilation, but it's the most slight amount of mutilation... I've seen worse from cosmetic surgery. How about we say people can do w/e they want??? A kid won't care... and if they do, they're just crying over spilled milk... it's like giving a kid a dollar and another one 4 quarters... in the end, they'll both buy what they want, but one will cry because they don't have what the other has.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

Deleted
    I'm not circumcised but if I ever have a boy, I won't want him to get circumcised. It's there for a reason, until he turns 18, it's staying in there, when he turns he can choose to remove it or not.

Deleted
    Yes, the medically relevent ones, kids born in third world countries obviously dont have this done.
    Drop the smugness, it's only common in the US due to it's puritan roots. Almost every other Western nation considers it an oddity rather than something commonly done.

Don't see why it's legal. Actually I do, but it's wrong to say it out loud.

Deleted
    Research. Before throwing out crap, do some research.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    Gall bladder, appendix - both of which can cause severe pain and even death if they develop a problem; and both of which you do not need at all.

Also, I object to the OP using the term 'mutilation' to describe circumcision.
    It paints everyone who HAS been circumcised (a decision that, as you pointed out, is rarely a decision they make on their own) as somehow disfigured.
    False. The gall bladder concentrates bile and aids in the digestion of lipids. The appendix acts as a reservoir for endemic gut flora from which normal populations are established following severe intestinal disease. The foreskin has a function, as the glans is naturally a semi-internal organ much like the eyeball or gum. Lastly, if female circumcision = mutilation, then why not male?

It's barbaric and outdated, and it's only defenses are based in superstition, religious baggage, and false information.
    Last edited by Urti; 2012-12-04 at 09:14 PM.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Please don't compare something useless, like the appendix, to a person's foreskin... the foreskin has it's use.
    Which is? 10 chars

Deleted
    Noticing a pattern here. US users defending it, European Users against it / pointing out it's an oddity. One word really, culture.

I think if the parents of a boy want to have him circumcised then they should be allowed to have it done.

I don't see how it's mutilation to be honest. Sure it fits the textbook definition of it, but it's just some skin on your penis.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Majad View Post
    I'm not circumcised but if I ever have a boy, I won't want him to get circumcised. It's there for a reason, until he turns 18, it's staying in there, when he turns he can choose to remove it or not.
    Perfectly reasonable. Except for the whole "turning" part, what are you!? Shapeshifters!?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vindicatorx View Post
    I generally don't get why this topic comes up as often as it does I have never sat there and thought about being circumcised if I wasn't already. I was circumcised at birth because my parents who both have worked in the medical field their entire adult lives felt it was a good idea. My family is not religious at all and I don't get why so many of you really give a shit about it. If I had not been circumcised at birth would I have it done now? Hell no I can only imagine how unpleasant that experience would be.
    It is just as unpleasant experience when you are an infant or adult. The only difference is that you forget it soon. After seeing an infant fall into coma (not fall asleep) from the circumcision, I kinda started to hate the practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Lassira View Post
    And battered wives don't feel abused.
    You're telling me I should be upset that I am circumcised? Calling male circumcision mutilation is not helpful for trying to convince people it's wrong. Because it really doesn't change the pleasure I feel with my wife and vice versa or the love we feel towards each other.
    MY X/Y POKEMON FRIEND CODE: 1418-7279-9541 In Game Name: Michael__

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istaril View Post
    Drop the smugness, it's only common in the US due to it's puritan roots. Almost every other Western nation considers it an oddity rather than something commonly done.

well apparently its actually illegal to do in Germany, not sure about the rest of Europe. i dont know what the % of people with it done in Europe is, but as far i know the only people who have it done here are from religious families. the hospitals won't reccomend to have it done at birth, and most parents won't do it. its really just the norm in US and heaily religious countries.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Perfectly reasonable. Except for the whole "turning" part, what are you!? Shapeshifters!?
    Lol, forgot to type the "18" part.

"when he turns 18". ;P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reganom View Post
    Probably as turning 18 would require shapeshifting having everything to do with shape and all