New Build Completed, Weird Sound

Finished my current build a week ago, everything was going fine. Then, last night, I heard a weird sound coming from my case that I haven't heard since the build was done. The best way I could describe the sound is a slight whistle-like sound winding down. The sound only happens maybe once every 2-3 hours and only started recently (over a week since the build was completed). My guess is that it's the sound of a failing PSU, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Case: Corsair 650D
    MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
    HDD: Seagate Spinpoint F3 500GB
    PSU: Corsair HX650 650W

I realize that identifying problems based on sound descriptions is a bit tough but anyone have any guesses on what it could be? If all else fails, I'll just sit by the case with an empty paper towel tube and try to pinpoint the location of the sound but anything that could save time and the hassle of waiting for a sound that comes only once every 2-3 hours for 1-2 seconds would be a huge help.

Quote Originally Posted by Disconnected View Post
    Finished my current build a week ago, everything was going fine. Then, last night, I heard a weird sound coming from my case that I haven't heard since the build was done. The best way I could describe the sound is a slight whistle-like sound winding down. The sound only happens maybe once every 2-3 hours and only started recently (over a week since the build was completed). My guess is that it's the sound of a failing PSU, but I would appreciate a second opinion.

Case: Corsair 650D
    MOBO: ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    GPU: GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 3GB
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
    CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio
    RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 2133
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB
    HDD: Seagate Spinpoint F3 500GB
    PSU: Corsair HX650 650W

I realize that identifying problems based on sound descriptions is a bit tough but anyone have any guesses on what it could be? If all else fails, I'll just sit by the case with an empty paper towel tube and try to pinpoint the location of the sound but anything that could save time and the hassle of waiting for a sound that comes only once every 2-3 hours for 1-2 seconds would be a huge help.
    does the sound come at any particular time while you use your computer? My best guess would not be the PSU but rather the GPU as a small% of 7900 and 7800 gpu series have a distinct whine when they are stressed. This does not reflect on the viability or quality of the card but rather a small manufacturing error which results the sound you have. hope that helps....

Does it happen even if you don't game?

Sounds like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xery6nG0EFI

Quote Originally Posted by sjrrkb View Post
    does the sound come at any particular time while you use your computer? My best guess would not be the PSU but rather the GPU as a small% of 7900 and 7800 gpu series have a distinct whine when they are stressed. This does not reflect on the viability or quality of the card but rather a small manufacturing error which results the sound you have. hope that helps....
    Unless World of Warcraft on High settings, with Shadows set to Low, is stressing my GPU, I doubt that's it. In addition to that, the sound only lasts for 1-2 seconds, so it's not like it's a constant whine or anything. Another reason why I don't believe it's the result of my GPU being stressed is because I've had it occur while just sitting at my desktop while waiting for a Steam download to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Does it happen even if you don't game?

Sounds like this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xery6nG0EFI
    It occurs mostly when I game but as I mentioned in my response to the first quote, I've had it occur once while I wasn't gaming as well. Also, it doesn't sound like the sound in your video. However, I do hear that sound whenever my headset is plugged in and World of Warcraft is open. If I'm sitting at the desktop, no sound. As soon as I get into World of Warcraft, I hear that sound in my headset. Not really related to my original problem (I don't think so at least) but any idea what that could be a result of?

EDIT: Found a video that shows what sound it is. Is that a faulty PSU that should be RMA'd or is it a somewhat common occurrence that isn't really harmful?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9m3B5J41YI
    Last edited by Disconnected; 2012-12-05 at 10:59 PM. Reason: Definitely PSU

10+ Year Old Account
    Happens to my CX600 aswell... Been going on for about a year, only happens when I turn off the computer though. Not sure whats wrong with our psu, but it's been lasting me for quite awhile.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

EDIT: Found a video that shows what sound it is. Is that a faulty PSU that should be RMA'd or is it a somewhat common occurrence that isn't really harmful?

From that video, it looks like the fan is imbalanced, as it's slowing down and squealing a bit. The sound isn't constant so when it does squeal it's likely to be hitting something.
    Computer: Intel I7-3770k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB 1600MHz DDR3 RAM | AMD 7970 GHz @ 1200/1600 | ASUS Z77-V PRO Mobo|

Unless World of Warcraft on High settings, with Shadows set to Low, is stressing my GPU, I doubt that's it. In addition to that, the sound only lasts for 1-2 seconds, so it's not like it's a constant whine or anything. Another reason why I don't believe it's the result of my GPU being stressed is because I've had it occur while just sitting at my desktop while waiting for a Steam download to finish.

It occurs mostly when I game but as I mentioned in my response to the first quote, I've had it occur once while I wasn't gaming as well. Also, it doesn't sound like the sound in your video. However, I do hear that sound whenever my headset is plugged in and World of Warcraft is open. If I'm sitting at the desktop, no sound. As soon as I get into World of Warcraft, I hear that sound in my headset. Not really related to my original problem (I don't think so at least) but any idea what that could be a result of?

Do you have Vsync enabled?

Uhm I rather think it's your graphics card coil whining, not your power supply. Coil whining is very very common for cards like gtx 680/7970. Just try your card in another pc and use any gpu app/game.

If you can't try it in another PC, just plug your graphics card out and use the IGP instead (just connect your monitor to the motherboard's video output) and load the PC as much as possible, ie stresstests & igp stresstests, if the noise is still there -> RMA PSU.