Modem and Router question

Ok so here's the deal. I have a Netgear modem/router combo, given to me by my internet provider. Honestly, it's garbage. I could go through all of the reasons, but just believe me. My internet plan or whatever just ran out, and when I renew it, apparently they're coming to install a new box. I know you can buy those separately, or at least the router part.. Should I do this? And how do I go about it?

Quote Originally Posted by The Pro View Post
    Ok so here's the deal. I have a Netgear modem/router combo, given to me by my internet provider. Honestly, it's garbage. I could go through all of the reasons, but just believe me. My internet plan or whatever just ran out, and when I renew it, apparently they're coming to install a new box. I know you can buy those separately, or at least the router part.. Should I do this? And how do I go about it?
    Check a local electronic store or even newegg. They have cable modem/gateways all in one devices.

Or if you prefer buy the cable modem and router seperately.

Before buying them check with your ISP whether or not the devices are compatible (give them the make and model number and they should be able to tell you). If not ask which one is the higher end modem/router that their customers usually buy and use.

I'm assuming you have cable modem. The same works for DSL connections.

Again check with your ISP on that.

It's wiser to buy your own than pay a monthly rental fee whereas the cost to rent far exceeds the value of that modem/router and would be better of buying it separately.

Especially if you're gonna stick with that ISP for quite some time.

What model router will they be giving you - and what one do you have at the moment?

What more do you want from a router that you don't currently have?
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7