Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Tricks to avoiding Wind Bombs on Wind Lord Mel'jarak

So I guess I'm a "baddie" or whatever it is kids are calling it these days. I've never in my entire WoW career had trouble with mechanics on a fight after a few runs. However, on the Wind Lord, I've caused my guild several wipes now on wind bombs. I come here in hopes of getting better and seeking advice from anyone who's had the same trouble. I want to improve and be able to rock this encounter without completely sucking.

Does anyone have any advice for avoiding wind bombs on the wind lord? Anything any add-ons can help with? I'll take any and all advice. I'm admitting to my suckage here and just want to get better.

Thank you.

get out of em as they spawn on you, you have some time to get out of em

you don't need to run 200 yards away of it as well... just make a 3 yard step on the side and make all the next wind bombs spawn in a "line" all on each other by an half

dont box your self in and pay attention to when they land on you

Pretty sure DBM and probably any other boss mod gives you both an on screen text warning and an audio alert when it is targeted to you. Do you not use these?

edit: At the very least, DBM warns you of every single wind bomb cast. Check your feet on every single one.

he tosses it at you, it lands on the ground, about 2 seconds later a circle appears around it and if anything is in it/touches it it explodes

so the trick to avoiding it is when he throws one under you, take 2 steps away (roughly 3 yards). while doing this dont step on another one. In general i'd spread out from other range (give yourself an escape route) and make sure not to be in front of where the tank will be moving the boss.

I do use DBM. it is possible that I have this disabled for this particular boss. I need to figure out how to ensure that it is enabled during combat.

nvm, wrong mechanics

Assuming that you are using DBM, you should play with speech bubbles turned on. When a Wind Bomb gets cast on you then it'll look something like this:

It's pretty hard to not see that, to be honest.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

Thanks Rustjive. Silly question. But is that the speech bubbles thing an Interace > Socials thing? Or is that DBM specific?

DBM generates the messages, but if you have it disabled in Interface > Socials it will not show up. So you need to enable it there and unless you've changed DBM settings (I have not), they'll show up.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.

15+ Year Old Account
    turn on your computer monitor

Step 1) Get DBM

Step 2) When it yells at you to run away because a Wind Bomb is targeted on you, run away.

Step 3) Collect loot.

Deleted
    You have 3 seconds to move afaik, it pops on you, walk outside of it, but stay near, no need to walk miles.

The most important thing is is not locking you inbetween bombs.

Think it like a beer pack : when a bottle is empty, to take the other, just next to the last.

Step 1. Look at your screen
    step 2. Watch it get thrown at you
    step 3. Press a strafe key....

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    You have to train your eyes to recognize them. Just keep looking at Wind Bombs until you notice them reflexively instead of having to stare at the floor.

Are you wiping because you aren't moving out of them? Or you wiping because you are running into them?

If you are running out of room to stand, then you need to fix how you guys are spread around the boss.

If you are not running out of them, then yea, maybe you need to use the text bubbles like suggested above, and just pay more attention.

Quote Originally Posted by imaginative View Post
    So I guess I'm a "baddie" or whatever it is kids are calling it these days. I've never in my entire WoW career had trouble with mechanics on a fight after a few runs. However, on the Wind Lord, I've caused my guild several wipes now on wind bombs. I come here in hopes of getting better and seeking advice from anyone who's had the same trouble. I want to improve and be able to rock this encounter without completely sucking.

Does anyone have any advice for avoiding wind bombs on the wind lord? Anything any add-ons can help with? I'll take any and all advice. I'm admitting to my suckage here and just want to get better.

Thank you.
    The GTFO addon may help, but I think that only works with stuff that only affects you (e.g., standing in fire)

If you've never had mechanic issues before, then it's pretty sad that these would kill you of all things.

If you use DBM, you get a loud sound warning when it happens.

Just look at your character and instantly strafe (default keys: Q or E) when they come out. There is no "trick", you just GTFO.

If you're having issues...
    - Running out of them: You're either lagging up a storm or, like YOU said, you're a baddie, and should learn to GTFO
    - Running into them: Pay more attention to where you run, and don't move AT ALL unless a Wind Bomb lands on you.

Now unless the entire room is littered with bombs and you have NO CHOICE but to run into one, then that's a raid-wide issue on DPS (though if you passed Garalon, your DPS should be fine), or people are putting bombs in bad spots (as a Mage, I typically cluster about 5-7 of them near each other to avoid the room being covered)
    Last edited by Polarthief; 2012-12-06 at 02:35 PM.
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

Deleted
    Did you have the same problem with wiping the raid on LK? Cos if you did, then this is exactly the same kinda thing.

DBM does not alert you to wind bombs that are near you if they weren't cast directly on you. You can still be in the trigger radius if it was thrown at someone next to you. Also, maybe turn up your particle density a bit? That might help you see the smokey outline a bit better.

Our raid group has ranged at max range loosely spread behind the boss, tank kites around the outside edge of the room. If a wind bomb gets dropped near you, you just take a few steps forward. This means if he targets you for his blade throw, you can always move left or right to avoid it, never near a bomb. When we start getting too close to melee, the tank moves the boss. You will hit the enrage well before the room fills with wind bombs, unless they are getting too spread out. Just over compensate so it's a non issue. When in doubt, move away.