Heroic Wind Lord Mel'jarak, looking for input on Kor'thik strikes & dispels

We started pulling this guy yesterday for about 30 minutes, to get a better feel before our next raid, and had a couple of issues. Hopefully we get some assistance so we don't have to adjust our strategy a lot

Raid Comp:
    Feral druid (or blood DK)

Disc Priest
    Mistweaver Monk
    Resto Shaman

Warlock
    Hunter
    Warrior
    Shaman
    Mage
    Moonkin

Our original plan is to CC all 3 amber trappers, but dispels became an issue. We have 5 single offensive dispels, and mass dispels. However if we keep the disc priest spamming dispel the entire fight, we can't spirit shell the kor'thik strikes. So we will assign 5 single target dispels every other quickening, alternating with mass dispel.

Is it possible to survive the kor'thik strike in any way other than spirit shell? If anything, how often is it cast, along with rain of blades?

From what I understand the strike is every 40s, and the rain every 60s right?

Unless we figure out a way to do it, we may have to swap a blademaster for an amber trapper, and I have an irrational hate for the amber guys, and would rather just perma CC them if possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Maefor View Post
    Unless we figure out a way to do it, we may have to swap a blademaster for an amber trapper, and I have an irrational hate for the amber guys, and would rather just perma CC them if possible.
    Personally I see the amber trappers as the least problematic of the adds, and if even YOU see it as irrational... well.... you should probably try something else.

cc 1 amber 1 blade 1 mender. hold dps so u dont get recklessness rains. strikes hit hard but wont 1 shot the person.

We CC 2 Trappers, 1 Blademaster. 3 Blademasters is possible with a Disc, but not really worth it.

Throw out a Mass Dispel every time it's off CD when they cast Quickening. I believe your Moonkin can Sym your Disc for another MD, which is fairly necessary with 3 Menders out. Single dispels should make sure the boss and Blademasters do not have stacks.

We always CC 3 Amber Trappers. It is the easiest way to do it IMO if you have the comp for it, and by the looks of it, you do. We have both our Disc Priest and Boomkin Mass Dispelling but now that the Boomkin CD has been increased, we have a Hunter or Shaman as backup. With this tactic, you only have to move for Whirling Blade and Wind Bombs, i.e almost a Patchwerk fight.

Korthik Strikes do not kill you if the Quickening is dispelled properly. Personals and regular shields should be enough. We Spirit Shell the Rain of Blades.

Here's a video, might help - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWHQ6eNfpz4
    Ashr

Get your shaman / moonkin to purge quickening. Have your disc priest get a 5 stack archangel and start coating spirit shell on the raid ~15 seconds before rain of blades goes out. Track Korthik Strikes on your raid frames and get a PW:S on them, there's about 3 second window where you can react and shield the target.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post
    We always CC 3 Amber Trappers. It is the easiest way to do it IMO if you have the comp for it, and by the looks of it, you do. We have both our Disc Priest and Boomkin Mass Dispelling but now that the Boomkin CD has been increased, we have a Hunter or Shaman as backup. With this tactic, you only have to move for Whirling Blade and Wind Bombs, i.e almost a Patchwerk fight.

Korthik Strikes do not kill you if the Quickening is dispelled properly. Personals and regular shields should be enough. We Spirit Shell the Rain of Blades.

Cheers for the video, rather clean kill really.
    Serbian <MYST> , Draenor EU

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post

Seconding this, by far the easiest way to do it. Just make sure you personal cd the strike and have priest MD on cd with chicken symb MD. After that we have purges / tranq shots to get rid of the rest.

Deleted
    We 2 healed and 2 tanked it and had our priest go shadow and he just tabbed through the mobs to dispell anything that others didn't get. Also dk's can glyph icy touch to dispell.

Imo, the key to get this boss down is to not aoe too much at the start. He starts spawning windbombs at 80% iirc. So what we do is that we get him to about 85% until we start aoe'ing. Doing this you will get a lot less windbombs, but this tactic requires you to nail the dispelling which, imo, is easier than to move around the entire fight.

We used a night on him where we started killing the adds right of the bat. On the next night we chanced the tactic and killed him within a few tries.

we CC'ed all ambers off and the boss was a cake after that. Took only 4 pulls to kill it.

Deleted
    so 2 tank 2 heal or 1 tank 3 heal?

Quote Originally Posted by Deathruler11 View Post
    so 2 tank 2 heal or 1 tank 3 heal?
    From what I know, it should be 1 tankable irrespective of the tactic you use, as long as Quickening is dispelled properly.

Healing is slightly different. We're using 3 but it's more for gearing and stuff. It can easily be 2 healed the way we do it and I suspect a highly geared Disc Priest with some DPS off-healing can simply solo heal it. We CC all 3 Amber Trappers. If you don't, you might need a bit more healing because the resins hurt quite a bit on heroic in my experience, and we were running out of it properly.
    Ashr

we actually had a very similar group to yours except (protadin, blood dk, disc priest, resto shaman, hunter, lock, mage, moonkin, frost dk, ele shaman) which we got very close just having me as the hunter and the ele shaman spamming our dispels every time the moonkin couldn't get it with his symbiosis mass dispel. This was working fairly well but due to our moonkin being bad about wind bombs we weren't able to get it the 1st night of attempting it. 2nd night we had our moonkin on his shadow priest anyway (heroic will of the emperor soaking) and decided to just keep him there for heroic wind lord so he could dispel 100% of the casts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCKR1...ature=youtu.be. If you have anyone with even a semi geared shadow priest you may want to consider making a swap just for this fight because it makes it significantly easier. Otherwise having individual dispels work just have your hunter spec into fervor and handle the boss+3 blademasters and have your ele shaman handle the 3 menders.

Also, remember that Mass Dispel removes only 1 stack per cast, so if the mobs have 2 stacks of Quickening up, you'll need 2 Mass Dispels (or back up single target) to clear them all.
    Ashr

^ but you should basically be clearing them as they're cast, particularly wind lord and the blademasters. If anything ever hits 2 stacks its not the end of the world but one of your dispellers definitely done goofed.

I play a disc priest on that fight and pretty much do very little other than dispel and shield. We CC all the amber trappers. If you dispel the Blademasters, a normal PWS will be enough for Korthik Strike. The only difficult parts of the fight are when you have both Menders and Blademasters up--your disc priest has to be on his toes with the dispels, prioritizing boss > Blademasters > Menders. Except at the beginning of the fight, there should never be a significant amount of time when you have both types of adds up.