ImagineFX features Michael Whelan's Deathwing

This month's ImagineFX magazine features some great illustrators (Todd Lockwood, Alex Ross, etc) taking on Blizzard art. The issue includes a 2 page spread of DEATHWING, a large painting (48" x 36") by Michael Whelan that Blizzard commissioned to hang in their corporate office.

Whelan recently wrote a "making of" feature on his website that details his process from initial sketches through composition and color studies to the finished painting. Check it out at: http://www.michaelwhelan.com/deathwing/

10+ Year Old Account
    Very cool work, I wish Blizzard would of put better people on the job for the raid design of Dragon Soul instead of presumed interns cause the people who designed MoP raids can't be the same people who did Dragon Soul.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't like the head study but then I saw the finished product... What an amazing piece of art. Acrylics! They used acrylics, man! In the day and age of everything being digital this is very refreshing to see this piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Archdruid Dehydrate View Post
    Very cool work, I wish Blizzard would of put better people on the job for the raid design of Dragon Soul instead of presumed interns cause the people who designed MoP raids can't be the same people who did Dragon Soul.
    they're not the same people.

There's also an interview with Whelan on WoW Insider that ran today. Interesting read.

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome. Definitely have to pick that issue up. Imagine always has tons of great stuff. Definitely helped my art improve.
    Last edited by Golden Yak; 2012-12-07 at 05:09 AM.