Affliction Warlock and Gems - Help

Hey there,

So I just got back into WoW, I quit during DragonSoul and I've been playing MoP for a little over a month now and every single website I go to and every person I armory had different gems. What the heck do I use?! I am currently ilevel 486 and starting to get back into raiding but finding any type of information regarding MoP just stinks!

10+ Year Old Account
    Best thing to do is to sim your character and get your own personal stat weights then look if your stat weights for your stat of choice are more then half the worth of INT. If they are more then half gem for straight secondary stat as much as you can, if only less then half the worth gem for INT. Simples.

Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Best thing to do is to sim your character and get your own personal stat weights then look if your stat weights for your stat of choice are more then half the worth of INT. If they are more then half gem for straight secondary stat as much as you can, if only less then half the worth gem for INT. Simples.
    Simple? -_-' This is supposed to be a game.

Quote Originally Posted by Marionette View Post
    it takes roughly 5 minutes to determine what would improve your characters performance.

In general for affliction you're going to want yellow (mastery) gems, if the socket bonus is anything besides crit, use green(mastery/hit) or orange(mastery/int) to match.

If you want to treat it as a game to mess around with, feel free. There's a lot of people who like to treat it semi-seriously/seriously and who want every little advantage. I find myself in the latter category, but there's a large portion of the playerbase who don't care about every little advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by Cemila View Post
    In general for affliction you're going to want yellow (mastery) gems, if the socket bonus is anything besides crit, use green(mastery/hit) or orange(mastery/int) to match.
    Thank you.

Why even bother with asking what gems to use then? It's supposed to be a game. Gemming stam seems like a lot of fun.

On a serious note, the correct answer is people gem differently and there will never be a true rule of thumb because of haste breakpoints, fights, etc. Multi dot fights, Pure Haste til 4750 then all pure Mastery is good for yellow. Int + whatever in the red slots. Hit + whatever in the blue slots. Single target fights (Elegon, Garalon, etc.) want to stack haste. Pure Haste in yellow. Int + Haste in red. Hit + Haste in blue.

Honestly, simming takes 5 minutes and will give you YOUR personalized stat weights which will make sense for your gear levels. Or just open your toon in askmrrobot.com and it'll do all your gems/reforges for you.

Quote Originally Posted by kenshinag View Post
    Why even bother with asking what gems to use then? It's supposed to be a game. Gemming stam seems like a lot of fun.

On a serious note, the correct answer is people gem differently and there will never be a true rule of thumb because of haste breakpoints, fights, etc. Multi dot fights, Pure Haste til 4750 then all pure Mastery is good for yellow. Int + whatever in the red slots. Hit + whatever in the blue slots. Single target fights (Elegon, Garalon, etc.) want to stack haste. Pure Haste in yellow. Int + Haste in red. Hit + Haste in blue.

Honestly, simming takes 5 minutes and will give you YOUR personalized stat weights which will make sense for your gear levels. Or just open your toon in askmrrobot.com and it'll do all your gems/reforges for you.
    I may be too lazy to learn to use simcraft but I'd be better off bashing my face on the keyboard to gem and reforge then using askmrrobot.
    Simcraft it is..

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 03:37 AM ----------

Fantastic, Simcraft is telling me that haste scales higher than mastery.
    Last edited by Marionette; 2012-12-05 at 08:14 AM.

My personal gemming/reforging for Affliction is like this:

- Reforge or gem hit/expertise to 15% hit cap. Missing as Affliction isn't horrible for a computer with instant reactions, but it's horrible for me as a player.

- Reforge or gem haste until 4717 soft cap. This is just one of the many Affliction soft caps, but most folks seem to be preferring this one. It gives an extra tick to your Corruption as long as you have the 5% haste buff from someone. If you're Goblin, you get 1% extra haste, so in that case your soft cap is lower.

- Your soft cap for crit rating is 0. Everything is more valuable than crit rating. (Well, not dodge or parry, obviously.)

- Reforge everything beyond the above caps to mastery.

As a consequence of the above, all gear of the same item level that has no crit has largely the same value. The hit/haste/mastery secondary stats are mostly interchangeable, as long as you're able to reforge out of hit so that you're not over cap, and reforge out of haste so you're not over 4717 soft cap.

I should mention that Simcraft uses a profile with 6590 haste instead of 4717, so it's quite possible that's better. However, it's also possible you need a certain amount of mastery to pull that off, so therefore high item level. Or maybe BiS gear has so much haste you can't reforge out of it more. Someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to answer that.
    Last edited by Elodeon; 2012-12-05 at 11:38 AM.

Deleted
    Same as Elodeon.

Not being hit cap is not a matter when you're a computer and immediatly notice your were missing, as a human player I think it's a dps loss.

Deleted
    "think it's a dps loss".
    Based on .... ?

Look this has been discussed many times. You will have more consistent DPS with hit cap, but you will have higher DPS without hit cap. Most people on these forums who went down to 11-13% have seen very large DPS increases. Sure they miss a GCD here having to recast an instant, but because all others dots have an extra 600 or so mastery, it makes up for it.

It's fine for affliction, where very little spells (ie haunt) are actually resource / CD based. For other specs ... yeah not so much. Gimping your hit in demo can potentially lead to less DF generation, so the cap is more important there.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eiffeltower View Post
    "think it's a dps loss".
    Based on .... ?
    Think means "Me", I hope we're allowed in a forum to provide our advice.
    It looks like because you provide discussions as proof.

If I use "think" it's because I've never seen a simulation with a real human-like model. A human will not only have to re-apply dot, he will eventually loose some tick for instance.

If you have this proof, please share.

Because of reforging, gemming usually doesn't really matter that much for any class - the only choice to be made is whether gemming secondary stats is better than gemming primary stats. Lucky for Affliction Warlocks, your best secondary stat is pretty close to half the value of your primary stat, so you can pretty much gem however you want with any combination of Intellect, Mastery, Haste and Hit.
    http://darkcontent.wordpress.com/ - blog (updated Oct. 8, 2013). Latest post: T16H Affliction Trinket Rankings in Combination, done in SimC 540-4.