Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Swaying grass is cute and all, but until they get around to putting in some of the real, functional things that they promised - or that an MMO really should have in 2012 - bragging about their awesome tech probably isn't all that appropriate.

You know...Guesting, a functional LFG tool, some basic PvP features like...oh...matchmaking. Or rankings.

Oh, and love those zones that are straight out of EverQuest-1999, nice perfect squares with single entrances/exits and loading screens. Why?

Maybe fixing the War and Peace-sized list of bugs that still plague some classes and gear setups.

Really, if we're going to talk about GW2's tech, they have a loooooooong way to go before bragging is in order.
    Actually, a lot of them aren't perfect squares, look at Caeledon forest, CLEARLY a rectangle, -not- a square =P.

And they never promised LFG, or any of those basic PvP features, so... as much as i -want- them in the game they never promised they -would- be (granted they said some of them are being worked on so there's that).

Personally, i think they have plenty of room to brag when it comes to tech, and just in general, because a lot of those modern MMOs with the swaying grass also have significantly higher requirements, where as GW2... well i have been playing it without a video card in my computer for a good 2 months now... so, yeah, that's pretty impressive lol, i can tell you for a fact i can't do that on WoW and i'm not even going to try that for SWTOR or Rift...

PS: What class is bugged out that much still? I know ranger and Mesmer aren't, don't really play anything else though...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    And they never promised LFG, or any of those basic PvP features, so... as much as i -want- them in the game they never promised they -would- be (granted they said some of them are being worked on so there's that).
    What Anet "promised" has nothing to do what what he was speaking to.

He clearly was talking about common features of modern MMOs; LFG, matchmaking ,etc.

Only thing listed which concerns a "promise" on Anet's part is the guesting. If GW2 lacked a mini map and some one said "they should have basic features such as a mini map."

That isn't a matter of promises.

LFG and matchmaking don't effect me too much. But that's a pretty big misreading that can dovetail to some sketchy debatin' we ain't having in this thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    What Anet "promised" has nothing to do what what he was speaking to.

He clearly was talking about common features of modern MMOs; LFG, matchmaking ,etc.

Only thing listed which concerns a "promise" on Anet's part is the guesting. If GW2 lacked a mini map and some one said "they should have basic features such as a mini map."

That isn't a matter of promises.

LFG and matchmaking don't effect me too much. But that's a pretty big misreading that can dovetail to some sketchy debatin' we ain't having in this thread.
    Meh, i skimmed through the first part lol, but yeah LFG doesn't even phase me, if we have it, so what? If we don't, again, so what? I find groups just fine, the only difference would be one version would be faster, the other takes 5 minutes (still faster than wow) so i'm not to concerned by it.

I personally don't see a matchmaking pvp thing being all that big of a deal because if you have the top end people all quarantined away that's going to SUCK for them, i mean, cmon, they'll all be forced to fight each other and have to wait for decades to actually get in matches unless they force lower ranked people to fight them eventually, this is for paid tournies btw which is where they want to add matchmaking to the most...
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    I must say, that even though I don't really log on much any more, it was a great game experience during the "honeymoon" period when I got it and given the chance again, I would still spend the money on it.

I truly enjoyed the style, the graphics and the jumping puzzles. For the quality of graphics, the engine was optimized much better than any other mmo I have ever played. It ran silky smooth on my 560ti and then 660ti at max everything.

Can't really explain what turned me off. Maybe the dungeon mechanics. I think I am a die-hard supporter of the trilogy or quadrilogy form of gamestyle. It makes for better PvE, more complex dungeon mechanics and raids - in my opinion, of course.
    Last edited by theWocky; 2012-12-13 at 08:00 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    but yeah LFG doesn't even phase me, if we have it, so what? If we don't, again, so what? I find groups just fine

I personally don't see a matchmaking pvp thing being all that big of a deal

I see these comments far to many times in MMO starts. With out sounding like an ass get over yourself. Look at the big picture there are others that want/like/use these features and they should be welcomed and embraced and even pushed for by all. It helps fortify a healthy player population by not alienating and driving players away that want these features.

Don't take it personally because many many people always shout the same things and devs do eventually cave in if that's what you want to call it to these type of features and sometimes it's a bit to late. *cough SWTOR cough*

I will give one personal example I play Rift I couldn't give a shit about player/guild housing (atm anyways) but by no means will you hear me saying what a waste of developer time. The more feature rich your game is in the long run it will benefit you and the gamers in your community.

TL;DR: Don't be stubborn and stop living under a rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    The more feature rich your game is in the long run it will benefit you and the gamers in your community.
    I agree with this 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    In addition to GW2's technology of not having server queues there is also no weekly downtime - Zero! New builds are deployed on the fly with a simple reload of the game while WoW has to shut down it's creaky old servers week after week for hours at a time.

And if you want to talk technology, let's take a look at graphics. In GW2 grasses sway dynamically as I run through them, I leave footprints in the snow as I walk. Trees look real, not like bad origami - I can even climb them. As for character models the difference is simply astounding - there is no comparision.

Or how about how GW2's tech allows the devs to create massive amounts of content at a pace that WoW can only dream of? It took one dev 12 hours to create the Hunger Royale game which took place over an entire zone and gave all our characters special clothing, weapons and skills for the event. We are getting an entire expansion's worth of content in January and February. For free I might add.

Sorry Ben, I understand your disappointment but WoW really does not want to compare it's technology to GW2's, it just makes it look bad. It's an old game and I'm sure it has a loyal core fanbase and will go on for years but technology-wise it's behind the times.
    I find the "lawl wow has downtime lawl every week lawl" kinda funny because it's so untrue.

If you, you know, paid attention since Cata, you would've actually had notice Tuesdays go by with no maintenance whatsover for weeks at a time, same with MoP (although you would have to give credit, start of an expansion to work out some bugs). Saying GW2 doesn't go down is laughable as well, as I'm pretty sure I remember being not able to play for some hours at a time.

I know it's the cool thing to hate WoW but come on, let's try to be informed before spouting off comments like yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ausr View Post
    I find the "lawl wow has downtime lawl every week lawl" kinda funny because it's so untrue.

If you, you know, paid attention since Cata, you would've actually had notice Tuesdays go by with no maintenance whatsover for weeks at a time, same with MoP (although you would have to give credit, start of an expansion to work out some bugs). Saying GW2 doesn't go down is laughable as well, as I'm pretty sure I remember being not able to play for some hours at a time.

I know it's the cool thing to hate WoW but come on, let's try to be informed before spouting off comments like yours.

I'm pretty sure you're making stuff up because GW2 has only been down for a couple hours right after launch. Since then 100% uptime. This is with 2 major content patches.

Didn't WoW have some kind of 10 hour + extended maintenance just this Tuesday?
    Valar morghulis

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    Yeah, lets not be in denial. WoW still has the somewhat-confusing weekly Tuesday maintence and GW2 is pretty much up all the time, barring the occasional server restart.
    I didn't deny anything. I admitted WoW has some downtime but not like the poster I quoted made it out to be so dramatically. Obviously if it was down for 10 hours, something must've happened.

GW2 has been down for a lot more than a couple hours after launch, please don't be in denial like I was just accused of.

10+ Year Old Account
    The technology is so advanced it's beyond his comprehension.
    Valar morghulis

I didn't deny anything. I admitted WoW has some downtime but not like the poster I quoted made it out to be so dramatically. Obviously if it was down for 10 hours, something must've happened.

GW2 has been down for a lot more than a couple hours after launch, please don't be in denial like I was just accused of.
    WoW is down every Tuesday for maintenance with occasional exceptions. Usually then, they do rolling restarts. When a major patch hits, they usually do an extended one.

GW2 doesn't do that, at all. Patch size doesn't matter, restart and move on.

GW2 has had 1 long unplanned authentication problem that I recall since launch. Battlenet has also had numerous times where the authentication system went down and you couldn't play Blizz games. These are errors/ glitchs that can happen in any game. We can match hotfixes/bugs/unplanned downtimes between the two systems if you want to make up a big list and do the research, but that seems sort of pointless.

Both games have ups and downs.

Quote Originally Posted by Svifnymr View Post
    Both games have ups and downs.
    must...resist....double...entendre...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

I don't recall GW2 having downtime other than a few 30 minute restarts the week of launch.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Wow has been down on just about every Tuesday for hours...last time for 10 hrs..and that is not counting the several restarts they been doing lately. I did not get the game ( GW2 ) until like 2 weeks after launch, but so far, in a matter of several weeks of playing, GW2 has never...not once...been down for anything which has kept me from playing when I wanted to. These are the facts, if you like the game or not, they have superior ways to handle patches and maintenance then Blizzard does. And I enjoy playing them both.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zeekphreak View Post
    This the same Time Magazine that voted Hitler man of the year in 1938?

In all seriousness I can see why though. Most of the other MMOs on the market have multiple expansions you'd have to buy up too. One box, no sub and done.
    Hell I wish I could trade my copy/account to someone who'd really enjoy it.
    man of the year 2012 is Kim Jong Un, and GW2 best game...seem legit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I see these comments far to many times in MMO starts. With out sounding like an ass get over yourself. Look at the big picture there are others that want/like/use these features and they should be welcomed and embraced and even pushed for by all. It helps fortify a healthy player population by not alienating and driving players away that want these features.

Don't take it personally because many many people always shout the same things and devs do eventually cave in if that's what you want to call it to these type of features and sometimes it's a bit to late. *cough SWTOR cough*

I will give one personal example I play Rift I couldn't give a shit about player/guild housing (atm anyways) but by no means will you hear me saying what a waste of developer time. The more feature rich your game is in the long run it will benefit you and the gamers in your community.

TL;DR: Don't be stubborn and stop living under a rock.
    I'm not being stubborn, i said, and i quote "but yeah LFG doesn't even phase me, if we have it, so what? If we don't, again, so what? I find groups just fine." i'm not saying "Zomg stop bitching guyz we don't needz dem!" i'm saying -I- as in me personally, do not care if they get added or not because, again, -I- personally don't have issues getting a group and do not care if they are there.

All i do is yell out the window for about 5 minutes and just take the first 4 other players i find, idc what prof they are, if they're 80, if they do or don't have gear, i don't care about that shit as long as they can get into the instance and play as a group i'm fine with taking them.

Btw, as much as your examples would be amazing beacons of "get off your high horse, we need them." (should that had been my argument mind you), those games also had a trinity, you know, the thing where 2/5s of the group had to be composed by two very underplayed roles. I was actually up in arms about the whole lack of LFG in those games because it took fucking hours to find a god damn tank to do any fucking instance, it was so stupid! In GW2 that problem doesn't exist though which is why i flat out do not care if we get an LFG or not.

While I loved GW2 and feel I totally got my moneys worth for a one time payment, as somebody who doesnt love MMO PvP and for some reason in all games has trouble enjoying alts as of late, I found endgame GW2 to be just horrible. Grind the same dungeon to get gear (that looks awesome mind you) that has the same stats as crafted gear. Other than that it was farm Orr events to make some gold on the AH (which was also done very well when it was working). I suppose what I felt was just a lack of things to do to progress my char from a PvE standpoint. That being said, free content patches and no sub leaves it still on my harddrive. While I didnt feel like GW2 deserves to top a list, I suppose with the pile of shit games that crushed our hopes this year it has earned the spot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw, as much as your examples would be amazing beacons of "get off your high horse, we need them." (should that had been my argument mind you), those games also had a trinity, you know, the thing where 2/5s of the group had to be composed by two very underplayed roles. I was actually up in arms about the whole lack of LFG in those games because it took fucking hours to find a god damn tank to do any fucking instance, it was so stupid! In GW2 that problem doesn't exist though which is why i flat out do not care if we get an LFG or not.
    I do understand that it's a non-trinity based game and with all do respect you say I, me etc etc and that's cool that you can get your groups but there must be a need for some sort of functional LFG if someone actually made an exterior LFG site that is being used, linked and praised on this site. Even the spam LFM is really laughable you may get caught by the spam filter if you don't re-word your LFG message and can't talk in chat channels for set amount of time. Now that sounds like a winning formula. /sacrasm

I'm just saying and not really directed at you personally and there is so much preaching in the context of "I'm all right jack" with <insert game function here> feature is working for me so it doesn't need fixing.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocassius View Post
    man of the year 2012 is Kim Jong Un, and GW2 best game...seem legit.
    Yes it is legit.

"Man of the Year" isn't an indication of the "best" person of the year, merely the one who influenced the world the most. At least by Time's perspective.

Hitler was in the running for Man of the Century, along with Gandhi and Einstein (who won).