Page 6 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    >implying defensive intent in previous post

Time Magazine, being primarily located in 'muricuh (gag), would view Xenoblade as a 2012 release because that's when us Canadians and... those American people... managed to finally get our hands on it. It's like calling TERA a 2012 release. For North America, it technically was, despite the game being live for almost a year and a half prior.

Persona 4, my "terrible" point was hyperbole for effect, nothing more. But the reason it's not on the list isn't because of it being niche (The Persona franchise has been well recieved again and again, and Time's writers seem to enjoy finding things that go beyond Bro Ops 7, and seem immune to hype a la TOR), but simply because the game had been launched after the article was written, prior to being published.

Had Persona4Golden been launched a couple months ago, I could see it easily taking a happy slot near the top of that list. That was the point I was making. It's not a niche game. It just simply came out too late.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2012-12-10 at 08:08 AM.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Quote Originally Posted by sibut View Post
    Time magazine: the gold standard of video game analysis, amirite?
    ^^

They actually had a decent top 10 aside from the dumb 1st pick, but my personal favorite wasn't even on the list (Borderlands 2).
    Retired GM of Temerity - US Top 50 raiding on a strict 3 nights since Ulduar. Check us out!
    https://www.wowprogress.com/guild/us/hyjal/Temerity

Time magazine was just giving their opinion. It doesn't mean much of anything. You could line up 10 other magazines doing a top 10 and I bet most of it would be completely different. That being said it's not a knock on GW2. They put a lot of work into it, so it's nice to see that it's at least being recognized.

Hyperbole for effect? Is that what we're calling "putting words in my mouth" these days? It is a niche game, for a niche platform (Vita). Niche being, low market share and low visibility. Also isn't it just an enhanced port of a 4 year old game to begin with? So yeah, still not sure why you had to go full snark because I had never heard of it.

On a related note I can think of at least half a dozen games which don't fall into the "niche" category that were omitted and could have also just as easily broken the list. But lets face it, you're just upset that GW2 is #1 on an opinion list, boo-hoo.

GW2 lacks very fundamental things we already had in other games for a decade.

1. No seamless background loading world to adventure in: instead you got loading screens.
    2. Closed up zones with visible and invisible walls.
    3. No fast travel system: no horses, mounts, apparently even the wheel as a person's transport is not invented yet.
    4. No open world PvP, only instances.

As such GW2 is a step back compared to what we already had years ago. Jumping from one loading screen to another loading screen is not my idea of an open world MMORPG you adventure in.

I know by posting this I am taking a huge risk of being banned by these fanatic GW2 mods, but just be sure to check these features for the "best game" according to a dude typing for Time...

The fact this idiot put TL2 on 10 and took a shot at D3 is telling me we have a Blizzard hater on that Time staff.

Grtz to him.

Quote Originally Posted by BenBos View Post

1. No seamless background loading world to adventure in: instead you got loading screens.
    3. No fast travel system: no horses, mounts, apparently even the wheel as a person's transport is not invented yet.

As such GW2 is a step back compared to what we already had years ago. Jumping from one loading screen to another loading screen is not my idea of an open world MMORPG you adventure in.

I know by posting this I am taking a huge risk of being banned by these fanatic GW2 mods, but just be sure to check these features for the "best game" according to a dude typing for Time...

The fact this idiot put TL2 on 10 and took a shot at D3 is telling me we have a Blizzard hater on that Time staff.

Grtz to him.
    No worries on being banned by "fanatic gw2 mods," they all hate the game too and probably agree with everything you said.

Oh man, are we fanatics or haters? I CAN'T DECIDE WHICH CAMP IS WHICH!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kail View Post
    I find this set of "Top Ten" to be rather decent. Normally I'd expect to see the popular/hyped games on a "Top Ten" such as D3, MoP, and CoD, however popularity is obviously unimportant to this reviewer. However I personally do not agree with GW2 being #1. Great game with great ideas, but not #1.

Reviews and rating are more of guidelines. Just because X game rates a little higher than Y doesn't meant X > Y to everybody. However, when a certain game gets a low score across the board with most reviewers, chances are the game is of poor quality.
    The fact he omitted ALL Activision Blizzard games AND took a shot at Diablo 3 explains a lot really.

You can find these idiots everywhere currently, apparently even on a Time Magazine staff.

The year an MMO introduced open world play across servers without loading screens will be remembered in 10 years time though.(but that was not GW2 of course).

And this Time dude will boost he predicted it all along with his cognitive dissonance. That's how it works really ...

The fact he omitted ALL Activision Blizzard games AND took a shot at Diablo 3 explains a lot really.

You can find these idiots everywhere currently, apparently even on a Time Magazine staff.

The year an MMO introduced open world play across servers without loading screens will be remembered in 10 years time though.(but that was not GW2 of course).

And this Time dude will boost he predicted it all along with his cognitive dissonance. That's how it works really ...
    Yeah nevermind that Torchlight 2 is fucking 10x better than Diablo 3. It must be a conspiracy.

Erm...why should an Activision-Blizzard be on the list? Is there a requirement? Maybe he just didn't think they released any games worthy of being in the top 10? Or is there a mandatory, "X games by Y publisher" requirement? Apparently that makes him an idiot though, despite the fact that he's a very well respected games journalist.

And FYI, cross realm zones has been a pretty polarizing feature, with a lot of negative feedback about its implementation. It's impressive, technologically, but as for it being a huge success, I don't think it's hit that point yet.

Deleted

As good as mists is, in no way is it a top 10 game of the year, and D3....deservedly taken a shot at. Your point about cross servers is controversial becuase even though I like it, its not been well received by a few.

Deleted
    To be fair making any video game lists and rank them is like ranking tea flavors. In any way the list will be subjective to what the editor likes or if it's public to what the majority of the players want. But that still doesn't validate the list, as each person has it's own taste in games. And to be fair as a hardcore players I enjoyed GW2 a lot untill I reached max level, did PvP, leveled proffesions and just got bored of the no end-game content.

But that's just my own opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Erm...why should an Activision-Blizzard be on the list? Is there a requirement? Maybe he just didn't think they released any games worthy of being in the top 10? Or is there a mandatory, "X games by Y publisher" requirement? Apparently that makes him an idiot though, despite the fact that he's a very well respected games journalist.

And FYI, cross realm zones has been a pretty polarizing feature, with a lot of negative feedback about its implementation. It's impressive, technologically, but as for it being a huge success, I don't think it's hit that point yet.
    Bah, 25 million copies sold of Black Ops 2 and 11 million PC copies sold of Diablo 3 would like to have a word with you.

I expect more from a GW2 mod then to come up with justin bieber popularity arguments.

Also you have to be a complete idiot if you don't see that OPEN WORLD play across servers in real time without loading screens is a real breakthrough in single server MMO's. Certainly in landscape based MMO 's.

It puts an end to ever dying single server populations in the long run and it is first seen in 2012.

Historical even, but who cares, right ?

Let's call closed 1990's zones and 3 billion loading screens to replace travel the new standards...

Right.

With his stab at D3 (rather a good game since patch 1.05) in his comment on TL2(sic), he might as well underscore his next articles with "reknown Act Blizz hater"...

Because he ignored commercial success (cod, d3), innovation (cross server open worlds) and patch qualities.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-12-10 at 09:16 AM.

Deleted
    Oh lord its BenBos blizz paid poster! Well BenBos commercial success dosent mean that its a game that deserves GOTY of 2012. D3 is a step backwards from D2 and that it needed numerous patches to be a decent game says a lot about its quality, its not a bad game but imo it has numerous design flaws that cant be fixed by patches. Black Ops 2 adds nothing to the genre it dosent even try same old crap diffeent year, its doing more harm than good to the FPS genre. CRZ is a cheap solution to dead realms which has all disadvantages of a high pop realms (mob tagging, lack of resources) with none of its advantages (try to recruit a capable raider from a dead realm).

Quote Originally Posted by xizzu View Post
    Oh lord its BenBos blizz paid poster! Well BenBos commercial success dosent mean that its a game that deserves GOTY of 2012. D3 is a step backwards from D2 and that it needed numerous patches to be a decent game says a lot about its quality, its not a bad game but imo it has numerous design flaws that cant be fixed by patches. Black Ops 2 adds nothing to the genre it dosent even try same old crap diffeent year, its doing more harm than good to the FPS genre. CRZ is a cheap solution to dead realms which has all disadvantages of a high pop realms (mob tagging, lack of resources) with none of its advantages (try to recruit a capable raider from a dead realm).
    Not quoting game record breaking sales like Black Ops 2 (best selling game ever) and D3 (best selling PC game ever) in your "top 10 games of 2012" is baffling.

Ignoring a breakthrough in MMORPG design, like open world cross server play in seamless mode is another huge ignore button...

How many ignore buttons do you want from a man who promotes the amateurish anti christ of Diablo 3 ?

Right.

Deleted
    Sales dosent mean quality, Black ops 2 and d3 added nothing to the genre, zilch, nada, zero, they do not deserve top 10 not even top 20!

You are confusing the best 2012 games with the most commericialy succesful agmes of 2012, two different things.

Sales dosent mean quality, Black ops 2 and d3 added nothing to the genre, zilch, nada, zero, they do not deserve top 10 not even top 20!

You are confusing the best 2012 games with the most commericialy succesful agmes of 2012, two different things.
    Which simply shows the man does not take record breaking (!) successes as an element of merit.

Btw Diablo 3 runs circles around TL2. Diablo 3 is on par with GW2 playing sessions on Xfire.

And IF commercial success AND long term playing sessions on Xfire is not counting AND cross realm introduction as a new innovation is NOT counting for this Time dude, it is very clear he has but one agenda:

Put all Activision Blizzard games on ignore, no matter how successful in sales, no matter how much they are played on tools like Xfire, no matter how many innovative things they introduce in open world on line play.

I would say: clear case of a typical anti establishment poster.

For sure it will help out this pathetic gaming industry in the long run.

Let's tackle the big one: it is fun.
    Last edited by BenBos; 2012-12-10 at 09:51 AM.

Oh look - Torchlight II > D3:

Torchlight II may be another prepossessing click-festival of studied, refined imitation — an extension of Torchlight‘s budget-priced, high-gloss loot game with multiplayer sewn in. But it’s arguably seen a little further, if only by standing on the shoulders of giants (and goatmen, dryads, droog, machae, bugbear necromancers and siren’s daughters). In that sense, it remains unabashedly Blizzard-like, a greatest hits of greatest hits albums, an amalgam of amalgams. But where Blizzard still wants $60 for a game like Diablo III, developer Runic continues to upend traditional sales models by asking just $20 for a no less polished action roleplaying game, with at least as much content.
    Pull my tail

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    Yeah nevermind that Torchlight 2 is fucking 10x better than Diablo 3. It must be a conspiracy.
    D3 does not deserver to be in top anything because of AH ... the game is fun untill you buy first thing from AH. After that all the magic of gear finding is gone.

1.-2. Silly arguments really. How often do you travel from zone to zone in GW2.
    3. Did you miss all the insta porting waypoints ?
    4. Tell me in what MMO in the past decade did open world PvP work. Closest two I can recall are WAR (awfully buggy/unfinished) and AoC (lacking any features besides the combat itself) Not to mention the goal for GW2 was for players to work together in PvE ... not against each other. It's a group event guys ... just don't use any aoe spells or you will kill each other before you kill the boss. That would work really well
    Last edited by Repefe; 2012-12-10 at 09:52 AM.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

the only thing gw2 did add to the genre was a really good bullshitting PR scam. every feature was done better in the other mmos Arenanet stole them from. PR was what sold the game, NOT the actual game itself because once people realised how much of a floating turd the game was in the bowl, people left it in droves. id be surprised its topping Star Wars' active player base currently.

Black Ops 2 is a fantastic game, far better than any previous cod because it actually is starting to NOT feel like previous CoDs.