Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    The Kim Jong Un thing was a result of a 4chan troll action and I doubt he will be nominated in the end. I don't understand how people can that bitter anyway to liken the scale of the nomination of GW2 with that one of Hitler and Kim Jong Un (which is unlikely to happen) for the person of the year. It's like saying: "See, they voted for terrible men like Hitler and Kim Jong Un, it should be no surprise for anyone that their penchant for terrible things extends to things like Guild Wars 2 as well!".
    Last edited by Ravenblade; 2012-12-14 at 08:34 AM.
    WoW: Crowcloak (Druid) & Neesheya (Paladin) @ Sylvanas EU (/ˈkaZHo͞oəl/) | GW2: Siqqa (Asura Engineer) @ Piken Square EU
    If builders built houses the way programmers built programs,the first woodpecker to come along would destroy civilization. - Weinberg's 2nd law

He seeks them here, he seeks them there, he seeks those lupins everywhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenblade View Post
    The Kim Jong Un thing was a result of a 4chan troll action and I doubt he will be nominated in the end. I don't understand how people can that bitter anyway to liken the scale of the nomination of GW2 with that one of Hitler and Kim Jong Un (which is unlikely to happen) for the person of the year. It's like saying: "See, they voted for terrible men like Hitler and Kim Jong Un, it should be no surprise for anyone that their penchant for terrible things extends to things like Guild Wars 2 as well!".
    Yeah, and those idiots also ignore the rest of the top 10 in the list which was very solid as well.

Deleted
    I never felt like GW2 Was supposed to directly compete with WoW, its a different beast. I think alot of people who dismiss it instantly as being "crap and inferior" don't really "get" the game. At least for me, its a casual game, a game I log onto when I'm bored of WoW or other games I am playing, do a few events, do a few quests, maybe some dungeons. It's much more a social experience for me than WoW is.

I can totally understand why that isn't for some people, but that doesn't mean that the game is terrible, it just does a different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Vellerix View Post
    I never felt like GW2 Was supposed to directly compete with WoW, its a different beast.
    Indeed they are different types of games in various ways.

The problem is this: http://www.forbes.com/sites/johngaud...ul-mmo-period/

While GW2 & WOW are different in a lot of places- O'Brien's statements were extremely dubious, Aion was actually #2 to World of Warcraft for years, players & observers are in the right to take Arena.net to task over their hubris/claims.

At least for me, its a casual game, a game I log onto when I'm bored of WoW or other games I am playing, do a few events, do a few quests, maybe some dungeons. It's much more a social experience for me than WoW is.
    This is exactly how the Guild Wars series [all 5 games] were designed and maintained up till recently. They are still casual focused games appealing to mostly casual players. Uncommon to find prestigious or hardcore players ringing bells as hard as the casual players. Though we should keep in mind their are a lot of more casual players of MMOs post-Warcraft than hardcore players.

Guild Wars 2 is also inundated with bandwagon jumpers. That is to say players who played little or nothing of Guild Wars 1. Many of whom have an axe to grind over their Shaman being nerfed or trinkets costing 20 valor more. Take most of the nonsense posted on either side with a grain of salt.

Speaking personally, the casual focus of the series was always been a strong draw for me too. Perfect time filler between raid tiers or when burnt out on grind of other MMOs.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Supajayare View Post
    And with that said, I can see this thread being overrun by Blizz fanbois or GW2 h8er who see the link to this thread on the main MMOC page and ridicule how the author knows nothing about video games or how much he got paid by Anet.
    I don't think any blizzard game atm should be on that list.

That said I don't agree with many games on that list.

but I must say I like how you label anyone that disagrees with this list a blizzard fanboy.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 09:41 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpanther View Post
    Wow has been down on just about every Tuesday for hours...last time for 10 hrs..and that is not counting the several restarts they been doing lately. I did not get the game ( GW2 ) until like 2 weeks after launch, but so far, in a matter of several weeks of playing, GW2 has never...not once...been down for anything which has kept me from playing when I wanted to. These are the facts, if you like the game or not, they have superior ways to handle patches and maintenance then Blizzard does. And I enjoy playing them both.
    I can say the same for WoW. Not saying it's better. just saying.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azuri View Post
    I do understand that it's a non-trinity based game and with all do respect you say I, me etc etc and that's cool that you can get your groups but there must be a need for some sort of functional LFG if someone actually made an exterior LFG site that is being used, linked and praised on this site. Even the spam LFM is really laughable you may get caught by the spam filter if you don't re-word your LFG message and can't talk in chat channels for set amount of time. Now that sounds like a winning formula. /sacrasm

I'm just saying and not really directed at you personally and there is so much preaching in the context of "I'm all right jack" with <insert game function here> feature is working for me so it doesn't need fixing.
    Once again i'm not saying "Don't add it!" i'm saying i don't give a fuck one way or the other if they do because it doesn't affect me, if they add it, yay! they added it! if they didn't add it? Who cares! i sure as hell don't. And how often do you post in /yell that you're getting locked out? It may be that i talk to fucking everybody as well as when i look for groups that keeps me from being spam filtered but w/e.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 08:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

While GW2 & WOW are different in a lot of places- O'Brien's statements were extremely dubious, Aion was actually #2 to World of Warcraft for years, players & observers are in the right to take Arena.net to task over their hubris/claims.

This is exactly how the Guild Wars series [all 5 games] were designed and maintained up till recently. They are still casual focused games appealing to mostly casual players. Uncommon to find prestigious or hardcore players ringing bells as hard as the casual players. Though we should keep in mind their are a lot of more casual players of MMOs post-Warcraft than hardcore players.

Guild Wars 2 is also inundated with bandwagon jumpers. That is to say players who played little or nothing of Guild Wars 1. Many of whom have an axe to grind over their Shaman being nerfed or trinkets costing 20 valor more. Take most of the nonsense posted on either side with a grain of salt.

Speaking personally, the casual focus of the series was always been a strong draw for me too. Perfect time filler between raid tiers or when burnt out on grind of other MMOs.
    Gotta say, i much prefer the casual approach too, but then again i'm biased because i'm a casual and CLEARLY i'm going to rather play a casual game than a hardcore grind your balls off game...

That being said i wouldn't say GW2 has become more hardcore friendly, it's still pretty freaking casual which is why so many "hardcore" players bitch and moaned so they were granted fractals, something that everyone (including casuals) can do, but hardcore players could have their "progression" and for the most part it seems to have sated both groups quite nicely.
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post

One of the best things was when a GW2 guy (forget which) at a convention (forget which) was saying something like "we don't want to beat WoW. You're not paying a sub for our game, so play both, we want people to enjoy the experience" or something similar. It was refreshing, really. And yeah, we ALL know every company wants to make as much money as they can, but it was more comforting than the competitive shit like the guy in your link. Sometimes I wish these companies didn't communicate at all, so I wouldn't hear such garbage. When reading some WoW news, it once again seemed to me that they've shifted to a profile of hyping the next thing. When I started playing, the info was about the game that was out, but now no matter where you go on the game, almost everything is known before it releases to the public, almost everything is OLD before you get it.

But then, I'm in one of those "I hate the world" moods at the moment, so whatever.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    I don't think any blizzard game atm should be on that list.

That said I don't agree with many games on that list.

but I must say I like how you label anyone that disagrees with this list a blizzard fanboy.

---------- Post added 2012-12-14 at 09:41 AM ----------

I can say the same for WoW. Not saying it's better. just saying.
    Then I think you donot play on early Tuesdays. GW2 is able to do thier maintenance and patches without taking the servers down for that. Which makes them superior when it comes to that procedure...just saying..

10+ Year Old Account
    Then I think you donot play on early Tuesdays. GW2 is able to do thier maintenance and patches without taking the servers down for that. Which makes them superior when it comes to that procedure...just saying..
    This, so many schooled Tuesdays that left me pissed off at blizzard because they did maitenence until school would've fucking been out...
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

GW2 might actually make it game of the year 2012 on IGN too.

Game of the Year Nominees
    IGN's official nominees for 2012 Game of the Year are...

■Mass Effect 3
    ■Guild Wars 2
    ■The Unfinished Swan
    ■Borderlands 2
    ■Hotline Miami
    ■FTL
    ■Halo 4
    ■The Walking Dead: The Game
    ■Journey
    ■Dishonored

Glad to see this as GW2 is a solid game but I like playing it here and there and I stick with other games for now. Off-topic, I'm really surprised BorderLands 2 isn't on that list.

Quote Originally Posted by androidftw View Post
    GW2 might actually make it game of the year 2012 on IGN too.

Game of the Year Nominees
    IGN's official nominees for 2012 Game of the Year are...

■Mass Effect 3
    ■Guild Wars 2
    ■The Unfinished Swan
    ■Borderlands 2
    ■Hotline Miami
    ■FTL
    ■Halo 4
    ■The Walking Dead: The Game
    ■Journey
    ■Dishonored
    That's a sweet list of games. I hope GW2 wins it, Borderlands 2 and Dishonored are also pretty damn awesome.
    Hi

Heh, that's another very solid list of games for GOTY. Happy to see Unfinished Swan up there, that's such an interesting game. Kinda hard to claim IGN GOT PAID FOR THAT LIST!!!! When half the list consists of smaller, non AAA games that had little to no marketing budget.

Journey and the Walking Dead... amg, two very very good games.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    I understand the walking dead, but how was Journey so good? I played it and didn't think it was that great. Music is good, graphics are nice, but seriously, I honestly thought it was overrated. I think its okay, but it didn't make me get a tear or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Indeed. Journey was like 2nd or 3rd on my EOY games list. Just phenomenal game design. Though I didn't care for the Walking Dead too much. It was still good.

I felt there were a lot of "pretty decent" games this year outside of my top 5. Kinda found it tough to slot GW2 in over Secret World. But I'd say they are both really darn good MMOs. Admittedly I am more partial to TSW's style, theme and gameplay than Guild Wars 2.

The irony being TSW is kinda more like GW1 than GW2. Except for the gear thing. I just really enjoyed TSW [ not that it means much]. Maybe more so than any other MMO this year actually. Though I am not saying it was the best MMO of the year by far.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua View Post
    Very good list. I'd say the only out of place game on there is The Last Story, but that's just because pretty much everyone's divided on it. I mean, yeah a lot of folks don't like Halo 4, Torchlight 2, Guild Wars 2, etc... But the critics all hailed those games. The Last Story received mixed reviews and just as mixed player feedback on the game.
    As I close up on my impressions of Last Story, I liked some of the things they were doing with it. What I liked, I liked a lot, and what I didn't really gripped me the wrong way. The Introduction not being an introduction to characters at all just a "Here they all are, they're dying in combat don't die" left me asking why I'm supposed to care in the first place. I felt exceptionally stupid the first couple fights I was in because I'm spamming <A> and it does nothing because the game attacks for you but it doesn't tell you that (or tell you that <A> is used for other things later) until after the second fight anyways. Ugh. Really?

That, and well design choice limited the capabilities of the graphics engine. It felt like 2004's Star Ocean: Till The End of Time. The Wii's hardware can push better than this, and Xenoblade didn't feel this pain at all because of their choice in art direction. But if you're making every in game event fully utilize removable modular armor pieces that can each be shaded independently and have that show up on every character on a Wii, it's going to make it look a little worse than PS2 games from almost 10 years ago.

I have mixed feels about Last Story. I'm glad I got to play it, really. But it's definitely not up there in one of my most memorable gaming experiences recently (though the combat for it was quite enjoyable).

Also, TSW makes me smile with their transition to B2P. Instead of TOR (Punish those that are free so that they pay to get the full deal!) they're going with the much more consumer-friendly end of it (reward the people that want to pay by giving them more stuff!). If I can find the time coming up, I'll have to look into trying it for myself. That said, Telara's siren call is making me wish I had the time (not the money, the time) to dive into everything Rift wants me to do. The only reason I don't play that game right now isn't because of sub-fee, but because I just don't have enough clones to get to it, yet.

you know one of the major things blizzard do on a tuesday? do a mass back up of ALL players characters. thats something arenanet DONT do. so if you get your anet account hacked and your character stripped bare or deleted, they are gone forever. arenanet have no backups in place.

guess you get what you pay for.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post
    you know one of the major things blizzard do on a tuesday? do a mass back up of ALL players characters. thats something arenanet DONT do. so if you get your anet account hacked and your character stripped bare or deleted, they are gone forever. arenanet have no backups in place.

Considering they had this technology in place for Guild Wars 1, it makes you wonder what the hell they're doing. Obviously not a priority. Just like playing with my friends across four seperate servers at the same time (they rolled with their guilds/servers) with their advertised "Guesting" feature which was sold as a point to feel free to roll on other servers from eachother, yeah that totally wasn't a priority either.

Quote Originally Posted by InfiniteRetro View Post

lolwut? Not only is this incorrect it shows a pretty stunning lack of understanding of how simple technology works...
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.