Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinity Divinity View Post
    A.Net isn't bad...but this is just one one in a long list of poor decisions on their part in regards to account security and customer service, yes.
    Not really. Should it have been in earlier, yeah, planned from the start, sure. Is it a bad decision to implement the system as soon as it's available, of course not.

The main "bad decision" that springs to mind for me is the email-change form that let folks spam it. That's day-1 stuff (though I'm no IT guy). The fact that tons of other databases (including Battlenet and some game-magazine forums and such) were comprimised and lists of folks password were out there isn't really their fault.

The authenticator system is one of those things that I think should just come in the box (for versions that have boxes) for all MMO's now, but it's an added expense that they want to avoid tacking on. The email-verification system worked fine for me. But, really, anecdotal evidence is useless for a reason. My friend has problems with TOR, WoW and now GW2 crashing on his PC, I do not. He constantly bitches about all of them to me, and my only response is "can't offer any help...". Plenty of folks had issues, plenty of folks didn't. We don't know what the rate was, so assuming anything else is a bit pointless.

I think it's pretty tragic that people can't admit there are faults with certain games. I play WoW but I have dabbled with GW2 and I didn't like it, it wasn't a game I liked. Does it deserve #1 spot? No, I don't think so. The game has too much stuff "missing" that I would call crucial. Let me elaborate on the faults with GW2 and WoW (as I see them currently):

GW2:
    > no seamless world, instanced zones kill off any immersion for me
    > no hardcore setting (yes, I'm a hardcore PVEr) but I sort of expected this
    > too easy to generate gold
    > class imbalance (there's a lot of it)
    > repetitive "hearts" (which are just quests) but I list them here because really there isn't too much to do at max level.
    > professions are not really worthwhile, they don't give you anything "special"
    > Bots (to deny there are bots is dumb)

WoW
    > this valor upgrade system is complete trash, I hate it
    > t15 being higher iLvl than upgraded 509 (thus 517) ilvl is totally stupid, basically means LFR in t15 will be =< (by 5) to 517/509, which is dumb
    > class imbalance (I play a healer, and wow things aren't balanced at all)
    > Bots

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HamSandwichFace View Post

GW2:
    > no seamless world, instanced zones kill off any immersion for me
    As opposed to the time wasting flight paths in WoW?
    > no hardcore setting (yes, I'm a hardcore PVEr) but I sort of expected this
    Possibly I'm more casual so I dont live or die by the game.
    > too easy to generate gold
    Not a chance since the patch of Nov 15th, good luck getting gold now!
    > class imbalance (there's a lot of it)
    No way is it worse than the 100s of build changes Blizzard has made in WoW...not even close to a one spell spamming frost mage nor the palladin bubble.
    > repetitive "hearts" (which are just quests) but I list them here because really there isn't too much to do at max level.
    You do the same thing at 80 you do at 1-79 and it has a much better replayability than WoW due to down grading characters to level with.
    > professions are not really worthwhile, they don't give you anything "special"
    Very early stages on this, and i have always seen this as an issue in mmo's
    > Bots (to deny there are bots is dumb)
    This was the tragedy and likely will cause irreperable harm to the game, it has to the economy and all non cheating players are their victims at this point.
    In a nutshell GW2 at launch was pretty much everything it was marketed as but the poor management has begun to degrade the quality of this game very very quickly. So that said compared to every other flop to date yup they get game of the year from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    In a nutshell GW2 at launch was pretty much everything it was marketed as but the poor management has begun to degrade the quality of this game very very quickly. So that said compared to every other flop to date yup they get game of the year from me.
    It was marketed as a "revolution", it was not. Plain and simple.

Not sure how flight paths have anything to do with instanced zones though!

For me, I'm a hardcore PvE player, and GW2 simply didn't offer anything in the category of:

a) grind-worthy
    b) challenging
    c) purposeful
    Last edited by HamSandwichFace; 2012-12-18 at 05:15 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HamSandwichFace View Post
    It was marketed as a "revolution", it was not. Plain and simple.

Not sure how flight paths have anything to do with instanced zones though!

For me, I'm a hardcore PvE player, and GW2 simply didn't offer anything in the category of:

a) grind-worthy
    b) challenging
    c) purposeful
    It was revolutionary in several forms, the most significant being it wasn't another WoW knock-off (when launched, it's getting there pretty quick). Also you need to consider things like upscaling events, dragons in particular, building seige weapons in pvp, WvWvW.

well if you don't see flight paths as a time waste and emersion breaking how do you feel about the stupid balloon travel in WoW?

A) grind..i'm sorry to say is all the game has at this point from legendaries to ascended and karma
    B) as far as challenge, if you are comparing hard modes in dungeons, that i can't reply to because i despise dungeon crawling which is all that is left for loot progression in GW2 now
    C)I have no idea what purpose anyone has in a game other than playing the game....if you are referring to gear, well the new ascended path gives you and other WoW players exactly what you wished for.

10+ Year Old Account
    GW2 was not revolutionary, the lack of trinity means you are pretty much soloing even when around other people in your group. In GW1 I had to make sure I was within my healers range and if needed in pvp peel which added a ton of team work. You had front, mid, and back line. In GW2, you have zergs and no team work for shit. Every boss has some lame ass mechanic and since there are about what feels like 2 skills in the entire game on my thief, depending on what gimmicky build I'm running I am always feeling bored.

DB condition spam which literally only uses 1 button 24/7 with steal around a 35-40s cd and caltrops being 24-30 that shit is insanely boring. My backstab build would be 2 buttons, BS and autoattack.

How in the hell can you call that revolutionary? Or the removal of healers revolutionary? Or the total fucktard 180 the company has done turning their shitty game more into world of guildwars craft every day? The entire game is dead except for LA because everyone is grinding fractals. Yeah... how revolutionary.... GW2 is all about autoattack and grind for no good rewards. Truth hurts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrno View Post
    grumpy old man you are

Funniest thing is tbh, the fact that TL2 is listed ... and Diablo 3 isn't
    it's a good list with great games, normally i don't quite agree with lists but this one comes close to the truth for me
    Every game on that list I liked except TL2, I personally think Diablo 3 is better, but like them its are own personal taste that matters.
    I don't always hunt things, But when I do, It's because they're things & I'm a Bear.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Maconi View Post
    I agree with most of that list except GW2. If it was the game ArenaNet hyped it up to be, maybe. It's honestly nothing more than a westernized Korean grinder in it's current state though (tons of effort, very little reward, broken content everywhere, tons of push towards the cash shop, etc.). I guess that's to be expected with NCSoft @ the reins (and Nexon chomping at the bit). That's all referring to PvE, don't even get me started on the failure that is sPvP/WvW (the one thing that could save this game/make it way more popular and still hasn't received any love).

Maybe if GW2 was somewhere in the middle/bottom of the list, but #1? Something just doesn't seem right about that.
    The thing about GW2 is that it is fun to play. It is fun to run around in the field. It is fun to wander around in the cities, just talking to NPC’s, enjoying the scenery.

The only place I read bad things about GW2 is on this forum, mmo-champion. Its a shame that this forum breeds nothing but wow love, and hate for anything else.

As a current wow AND gw2 player, I have to say that gw2 is very different from wow in many, many ways. For me, it was absolutely one of the best games of the year, and no wonder it keeps showing up on these lists.

As a casual player, no raiding at end game means nothing to me. WoW could have all raiding removed and it wouldn't change anything for me. GW2 provides the kind of gameplay that wow really does not deliver...large group events that don't require a bunch of coordination and grouping, excellent exploration and rewards for doing so, great graphics and scenery, and all at any pace you want to play it at...no feeling of having to play like in most mmo's where if you don't log in for a few days you feel like you've lost something.

I don't see myself NOT logging into gw2 multiple times a week any time in the near future, and outside of mmo-champ where every game that's not wow gets shit talked to smithereens, everyone else I know enjoys it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoneseek View Post
    The only place I read bad things about GW2 is on this forum, mmo-champion.
    Have you actually read through the GW2 forums? The whole shitstorm over ascended gear, world droprate nerfs, the awful Lost Shores launch, jumping puzzle related crying, profession bugs...those forums are ground zero for all of that. MMOC doesn't even come close, aside from the few people that go out of their way to bash the game whenever they can.

edit: OT - grats to Anet, I'm sure this will drive their sales up at least a little bit. I'll still be waiting till all the necro bugs are fixed to come back to the game...so maybe another 6 months or so.
    Last edited by Notos; 2012-12-19 at 07:37 AM.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Well this thread went sideways fast. Haters gonna hate I guess.

Anyways, nice to see GW2 getting some recognition. Looking forward to getting back there once I have the spare time again. Although when I look at the rest of that list, it looks like I'll be mighty busy during the holidays with AC3, Dishonored and XCom. So many great games these days, it's hard to find time for all of them.

I have Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Darksiders 2 and many new games... but I keep coming back to GW2.

<3

The game which is not rewarding, which is not fun, 1st place? Really? I wonder how many $ they paid for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaughty8 View Post
    The game which is not rewarding, which is not fun, 1st place? Really? I wonder how many $ they paid for that.
    I guess they paid every single gaming media to get that 90/100 metacritic score, rigged the G4TV game death match, paid even MORE for gamespot to rank them as PC game of the year, and are probably even paying people to keep playing their game.

Or, you know, fun is subjective.

Rewards = Fun?

Right..

Herald of the Titans Darksoldierr's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    I have Borderlands 2, Dishonored, Darksiders 2 and many new games... but I keep coming back to GW2.

<3
    Oh god, Darksiders 2 was such a dissapointment, i bought it on release day and still didn't finished it
    Time is on our side
    Brutal Gladiator Enhancement Shaman *rawr*

Quote Originally Posted by Darksoldierr View Post
    Oh god, Darksiders 2 was such a dissapointment, i bought it on release day and still didn't finished it
    Good thing you already saw the ending then. (Spoiler: They reused the exact ending from Darksiders 1.)
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

Deleted
    What a joke of a list:

10 - Torchlight 2 - D3 owns it in every single way, sorry
    09 - Halo 4 - Really, this game in a top 10 list?
    08 - LittleBigPlanet - Ok-ish game, could be justified and 8th place
    07 - The last story - Get the hell away already
    06 - Papo & Yo - simple indie game, shouldn't be in a list like this
    05 - AC3 - the only people i know who liked this game are AC fanboys, and there aren't many
    04 - Dishonored - yeah, a failed copy of thief....
    03 - Xcom - No comment
    02 - Xenoblade chronicles - a game that actually deserves being on this list
    01 - GW2, lol just lol, even in the mmo genre itself 2 x-packs came out that blow GW2 out of the water (rift xpack and mop)

Seems like a bought list really....

where are titles like Borderlands2, Bioshock infinite, Diablo3, BO:2 etc? (the actual bestelling games)

Quote Originally Posted by Voidmaster View Post
    What a joke of a list:

10 - Torchlight 2 - D3 owns it in every single way, sorry
    09 - Halo 4 - Really, this game in a top 10 list?
    08 - LittleBigPlanet - Ok-ish game, could be justified and 8th place
    07 - The last story - Get the hell away already
    06 - Papo & Yo - simple indie game, shouldn't be in a list like this
    05 - AC3 - the only people i know who liked this game are AC fanboys, and there aren't many
    04 - Dishonored - yeah, a failed copy of thief....
    03 - Xcom - No comment
    02 - Xenoblade chronicles - a game that actually deserves being on this list
    01 - GW2, lol just lol, even in the mmo genre itself 2 x-packs came out that blow GW2 out of the water (rift xpack and mop)

Seems like a bought list really....
    Wait a second.

You are really trying to say that the development houses of Minority, Runic, Arkane Fairaxis are paying off Time Magazine?

where are titles like Borderlands2, Bioshock infinite, Diablo3, BO:2 etc? (the actual bestelling games)
    But these highly commercial games made by some of the biggest and wealthiest devs in the industry wouldn't be "paid" for; &/or more deserving via commercial success in a EOY editorial?

Stating your opinion is fine. However, it is fully possible for people to state ignorant or asinine opinions as above.

Should be careful about the line you are towing here between raw ignorance and internet trouble-making.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Wait a second.

You are really trying to say that the development houses of Minority, Runic, Arkane Fairaxis are paying off Time Magazine?

But these highly commercial games made by some of the biggest and wealthiest devs in the industry wouldn't be "paid" for; &/or more deserving via commercial success in a EOY editorial?

Stating your opinion is fine. However, it is fully possible for people to state ignorant or asinine opinions as above.

Should be careful about the line you are towing here between raw ignorance and internet trouble-making.
    Yeah i think those small houses are exactly the houses that pay for these editorials, the big houses with the bestsellers dont need to do that as they sell millions of copies anyway. Thinking otherwise is ignorant (see what i did there? passing that ball back ).