Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Pre-built gaming rig

Hello, I just wanted to ask some questions about this pre-built gaming rig I had ordered, firstly though here are the specs

CHASSIS COLOUR Alienware Aurora Matte Black 875W Chassis edit
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Four Core, 10MB Cache 3.60GHz) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) edit
    GRAPHICS CARD 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 edit
    MEMORY 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel edit
    HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE DVD+/-RW (Read/Write) 24x edit
    SOUND CARD Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection edit
    SERVICES AND SUPPORT 1 yr Next Day In-Home Hardware Support

It is Alienware, YES I DO KNOW THE PRICE AND A GOOD IDEA OF HOW MUCH WAS PAID FOR THE NAME ALONE

But will this setup play WoW, The Sims 3, Battlefield 3 and other high-end games at the resolution of 1920x1080?

Quote Originally Posted by Veh View Post
    But will this setup play WoW, The Sims 3, Battlefield 3 and other high-end games at the resolution of 1920x1080?
    WoW and Sims yes.

Battlefield 3, kind of http://tpucdn.com/reviews/AMD/Cataly..._1920_1200.gif . 50 FPS is still good though.

Damn. Whats a rig like that cost ya coming prebuilt?

Deleted
    should have grabbed the Ti version of that 660 instead way better for the price.
    also why ask advice after you placed the order?

10+ Year Old Account
    From my past 'window shopping' at Alienware's site i reckon that rig will cost around £1500-£1900.

No idea on what it will run though, but it looks to be beastly

Deleted
    I find it atrocious that you're paying £1,600 for that, I built my PC myself and everything is a higher spec (16g ram etc), and it cost me £1000, for a bit of working out where to go for cheaper parts you're saving a fortune - I'd advise you to build your own next time!

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Those specs are better than my rig's. You won't have any problem playing WoW or BF3, especially at 1920x1080.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Rebo View Post
    Those specs are better than my rig's. You won't have any problem playing WoW or BF3, especially at 1920x1080.
    for the price he's paying he's only getting half the performance while he paid a premium. (also bf3 <50fps on not maxed out ultra for that pricetag is just bad, even goblins don't make such rip-offs)

Just to note, if you are only gaming then the I7 is kind of pointless and could have been spent better on a i5-3570k and a better gpu.

I am going to say this right now, I would send that back and just build your own....2 hours of time to put it together and we can tell you recommended parts. Also most things are covered under decent length warranty.

IF you have to prebuild for any reason things to remember, Gaming wise I7 means nothing, gpu should be generally 660ti or anything above or in amd 7870 and anything above. Also I really do not think alienware is a good idea at all, Dell generally has my complete distrust on their general consumer side.

Here's an example
    http://pcpartpicker.com/p/r3nC

and you get AC3 free with it...<.<. This set up will also allow you to play everything you said maxed out, and you have room in the budget to get a higher end gpu too.
    People probably have some better recommendations then me this is just my preferred brands....Also I know this isn't what you were asking for but I really hate to see people buy alienware and get overcharged.
    CPU: Intel I5-3570k 4.7ghz MB: Gigabyte Z77-D3H
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Ram: G-Skill 8GB 1333
    SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 120GB PSU: Corsair CX850M Case: Corsair 750D

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    for the price he's paying he's only getting half the performance while he paid a premium. (also bf3 <50fps on not maxed out ultra for that pricetag is just bad, even goblins don't make such rip-offs)
    Even though I agree that it's expensive, price is irrelevant for this topic. The OP didn't ask for approval of his purchase. He just asked whether it would run those games well.

Deleted
    Even though I agree that it's expensive, price is irrelevant for this topic. The OP didn't ask for approval of his purchase. He just asked whether it would run those games well.
    which makes sense how, after he already ordered it?
    not speaking of approval of purchase but even if money wouldn't be the issue he could have gotten a better alienware. (he basicly got a gimped set of certain parts now, gpu being the main one with a ssd as close 2nd)
    Last edited by mmoce1d4ab16bc; 2012-12-05 at 06:16 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hello, I just wanted to ask some questions about this pre-built gaming rig I had ordered, firstly though here are the specs

CHASSIS COLOUR Alienware Aurora Matte Black 875W Chassis edit
    PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ i7-3820 (Four Core, 10MB Cache 3.60GHz) edit
    OPERATING SYSTEM English Windows® 7 Home Premium (64 BIT) edit
    GRAPHICS CARD 1.5GB GDDR5 NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 edit
    MEMORY 8192MB (4x2GB) 1600MHz DDR3 Quad Channel edit
    HARD DRIVE 1TB SATA 6Gb/s (7200RPM) 32MB Cache edit
    OPTICAL DRIVE DVD+/-RW (Read/Write) 24x edit
    SOUND CARD Integrated HDA 7.1 Dolby Digital capability edit
    SECURITY SOFTWARE No Security/Anti-Virus Protection edit
    SERVICES AND SUPPORT 1 yr Next Day In-Home Hardware Support

It is Alienware, YES I DO KNOW THE PRICE AND A GOOD IDEA OF HOW MUCH WAS PAID FOR THE NAME ALONE

That's a serious monster! But aren't the CPU and RAM a bit over the top for a gaming rig?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vayshan View Post
    That's a serious monster! But aren't the CPU and RAM a bit over the top for a gaming rig?
    overkill is underestimated, in this case only 8gb ram could be a little overkill but it is pretty standard in gaming rigs these days.
    the cpu is actually a worse choice compared to most chips since it cannot overclock due to locked multiplier. (30% potential performance loss these days pretty much)

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    which makes sense how, after he already ordered it?
    not speaking of approval of purchase but even if money wouldn't be the issue he could have gotten a better alienware. (he basicly got a gimped set of certain parts now, gpu being the main one with a ssd as close 2nd)
    Again, I agree. I never said it made sense.
    Maybe the OP can cancel the order and do it all from scratch? No idea.
    From his post, it seems like he's comfortable paying up.

Any comment, OP? Based on a few benchmarks and reviews, you could net yourself a much better deal.

For example, I'd have tried to get whatever the current Core i5 K-series bang-for-the-buck winner is and just overclock it. Granted, not everyone is comfortable messing around with an overclock, but some others have hinted at this already.

At any rate, if your decision is made and you are comfortable with the purchase, then you'll still have a decent rig.
    Last edited by Max Rebo; 2012-12-05 at 06:34 PM.

Deleted
    Exactly Max, nail on the head. 50 fps on BF3 is completely fine. In the Alienware Aurora setup it would cost me £200 more for the SLI GTX 660's 1.5GB (OEM). The total price of it was £1038.00 including shipping. I'm only wanting to play games on ultra at 1920x1080, this machine shall be able to do that, right?

Exactly Max, nail on the head. 50 fps on BF3 is completely fine. In the Alienware Aurora setup it would cost me £200 more for the SLI GTX 660's 1.5GB (OEM). The total price of it was £1038.00 including shipping. I'm only wanting to play games on ultra at 1920x1080, this machine shall be able to do that, right?
    Yeah of course. The only difference you have from a custom build & alienware is just a better motherboard and better cooling, ram quality should be fine. Alienware actually uses reliable PSU's.

The 3820 can be overclocked, this chip has an unlocked multiplier around 43. But the BCLK can be tweaked to still get 4.7GHz in a few secs.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Yeah of course. The only difference you have from a custom build & alienware is just a better motherboard and better cooling, ram quality should be fine. Alienware actually uses reliable PSU's.

The 3820 can be overclocked, this chip has an unlocked multiplier around 43. But the BCLK can be tweaked to still get 4.7GHz in a few secs.
    Thanks Faithh, I don't know much about overclocking but I presume the processor will be fine? How will loading times be with games with these specifications?

Thanks Faithh, I don't know much about overclocking but I presume the processor will be fine? How will loading times be with games with these specifications?
    Loading times are highly dependent on read speed from drive. Since you don't have an SSD, your loading times shouldn't be significantly different from other computers using a mechanical hard drive.

You can go to 4.3 on the 3820 with the multiplier! Great build!
    i7 3770k @ 4.3 GHz | Cool Master Evo Push/Pull | Asrock z77 Extreme 4 | GTX 680 4GB SLI | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Blue 1TB | CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB| Seasonic X850W | Thermaltake Element V Black Edition| CrossOver 27Q 2560x1440 S-IPS 27" Monitor | Razer DeathStalker |Naga MMO Champion |Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Yes it will, but loading times are going to feel really sluggish without an SSD compared to a better balanced $500 cheaper computer that does have SSD included. You aren't gonna get the satisfaction you should from daily use, especially if you've ever used a computer that does have SSD.

about this pre-built gaming rig I had ordered
    Why didn't you ask first and then order? Would've made more sense. For Alienware and any other brand.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.