Poll: Draenei warlocks; would you like to see them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 13
... LastLast
    The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Draenei Warlocks

I know this thread has been made before (about a year ago), but a quick search through the database rendered it old enough to start the discussion again, imo.

Scummer's topic got me thinking again; Draenei are Eredar cleansed by the Naa'ru and we all know that Corrupted Eredar control the Burning Legion a.k.a. Demons.
    We've seen Humans (and Worgen/Undead), Orcs, Trolls and Elves, alle weilding the corrupted staff of demonic power, and yet we haven't seen a Draenei do it, even though we know they were technically the first.

The initial idea for warlocks was, that we could enslave the demons to fight against them. That whole thing works like a charm, so why not let Draenei re-discover it, like Human hunters, Bloodelf Warriors and Nightelf Mages ?

They could be treated the same way (lorewise) as most Warlocks and DeathKnights... with a certain degree of disgust.

And if we're going down this road, it would be great to make (for this class only) available the red-ish skin... purely optional.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, just no...

works about as well as tauren pallies. only if they pull some lore out their ass
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

EDIT: Draenei Warlock NPC: http://www.wowhead.com/npc=18686

I'd LOVE to have draenei warlocks. we already have a few born draenei who decided to go to the other side lorewise, like levixus. to me, it wouldn't seem strange if a few of the younger draenei started wondering why they have to suffer and die because of what their great-great-great grandfathers decided 25000 years ago.

draenei warlocks could start as draenei who decided to betray their kind and work for sironas, the eredar in the draenei starting area. aafter some while, in a few warlock-specific quests, sironas would try to sacrifice them for the sake of the legion's plan, and they'd see that they chose the wrong side.

the draenei warlock would than betray sironas and defeat her. she wouldn't actually die, but the draenei would capture her for interrogation. afterwards, you'd go into the exodar where the guards would start spitting on you and throwing fruit at you (like the DK quest in org/sw). You would talk to velen and he would forgive your sins and say you are welcome to use your dark powers for the sake of good, that the light works in many forms, and perhaps you learning how to bend the darkness to your will was a way of the light to get you to act where the light itself cannot (something akin to what the naaru m'uru will tell warlocks in 5.2).

the warlock trainer could be sironas in disguise at first (we all know she was disguise as a draenei when she got the exodar to crash) and than sironas in jail later. you'd have to ask the guards permission to visit her (only warlocks would be able to, because they have velen's special permission) and than force her to teach you stuff.

this way, draenei warlocks would have "always been here and we just never noticed them".
    Last edited by checking facts; 2012-12-05 at 12:58 PM.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    I'm all for Draenei Warlocks. Night Elves can be Mages again, something we never thought would happen. I'm sure they can write some lore to justify a small group of Draenei practicing the dark arts of magic.

Deleted
    I've always wanted draenei warlocks.
    Draenei aren't all light kissers. Some of them did choose to follow Sargeras and are part of the Burning Legion right now. So why not, really ?

But Draeneis turn into broken ones if they use dark magic if I'm not wrong.
    So no.

They are not "cleansed", they're simply original. As I understand, warlock practices include close contact with fel energies, which seems to take quick effect on draenei/eredar for some reason. That's exactly why there's no draenei warlocks: they simply can't practice fel magic and remain in their original form. You're either warlock OR draenei, not both.

15+ Year Old Account
    Add a poll. Would be fun to see summary. I like this idea

Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    I'd LOVE to have draenei warlocks. we already have a few born draenei who decided to go to the other side lorewise, like levixus. to me, it wouldn't seem strange if a few of the younger draenei started wondering why they have to suffer and die because of what their great-great-great grandfathers decided 25000 years ago.
    Wait, they "suffer and die" because they can't be warlock? Where did you pull that from?

Explanations for any new race-class combination could be made. Draenei warlocks however would be one of the more difficult ones given their absolute phobia of corruption.
    Meanwhile, back on Azeroth, the overwhelming majority of the orcs languished in internment camps. One Orc had a dream. A dream to reunite the disparate souls trapped under the lock and key of the Alliance. So he raided the internment camps, freeing those orcs that he could, and reached out to a downtrodden tribe of trolls to aid him in rebuilding a Horde where orcs could live free of the humans who defeated them so long ago. That orc's name was... Rend.

The thing with Draenei is that they are hyper-vigilant against corruption now, because of what happened before with Sargeras, Archimonde, and Kil'jaeden. So while they have the potential to become warlocks (any magic-wielding race would have the potential, actually), any Draenei who did become a warlock would probably be immediately shunned and exiled.

That said the potential is there for a decent storyline if they ever wish to relax the class/race restrictions further.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Wait, they "suffer and die" because they can't be warlock? Where did you pull that from?
    they suffer and die because they decided to side against the legion. the legion has been slaughtering them like pigs and chasing them through the galaxy for the last 25000 years.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    if a draenei turned to using fel magic and became a warlock they would be neither draenei nor eredar, they would be man'ari and shunned from draenei and broken society...

not to mention it goes against everything (and i mean everything) the draenei stand for due to the fact their would be no draenei if they hadnt had turned away from fel magics in the first place

and comparing night elf magi to draenei warlocks isnt a very good comparison at all, as the draeneis hatred for fel faaaaaar outclasses the night elves mistrust for arcane, proven by the fact that while night elven magi have caused the destruction of the middle land mass of kalimdor, "draenei" (man'ari/ere'dar) warlocks have caused the annilation of countless worlds and those under the command of Kil'jaedan have hounded the draenei for thousands of years

while the cosmetic appeal of draenei warlocks is amazing (they look great in some warlock tiers) there is just too much animosity between draenei and demonic magic for them to be playable
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kisho View Post
    The thing with Draenei is that they are hyper-vigilant against corruption now, because of what happened before with Sargeras, Archimonde, and Kil'jaeden. So while they have the potential to become warlocks (any magic-wielding race would have the potential, actually), any Draenei who did become a warlock would probably be immediately shunned and exiled.

That said the potential is there for a decent storyline if they ever wish to relax the class/race restrictions further.
    Didn't people say the same thing about Night Elves and Mages before Cataclysm?

New young Draenei doesn't really know their past history as well as those still alive who experienced it, whilst they were surely taught that fel magic is bad, I would say it's not far fetched at all that some of them would pick up the art and practice it, after seeing just how powerful it is.

If they can accept Death Knights back into their fold, I really don't see how they couldn't accept Warlocks. Yeah sure they are evil in different ways, and a Warlock is more of making an active choice, but still.
    Last edited by mmoce2fa46bcbe; 2012-12-05 at 11:51 AM.

Draenei were never 'cleansed' they never became corrupt in the first place, fleeing rather than taking part in the corruption of the rest of their race. Draenei are by definition the uncorrupted, and as such they can be Draenei, or Corrupted/Warlocks, but not both. While I'm sure it could be put into lore if Blizzard really wanted to it isn't something I'd like to see personally.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaozu View Post
    If they can accept Death Knights back into their fold, I really don't see how they couldn't accept Warlocks. Yeah sure they are evil in different ways, and a Warlock is more of making an active choice, but still.
    death knights havent really been accepted back into the fold of any race (except forsaken for obvious reasons), most death knights lore-wise are either in Northrend dealing with the scourge, or western/eastern plaguelands helping the argents kill the scourge there

i mean the only friendly death knight NPC we see after wrath is a dwarf training stormpike recruits in hillsbrad, and he's killed by lowbie horde (not counting thassarian/koltira coz everyone knows about them lol)

also you have to remember that 3rd generation death knights didnt choose to be 'evil' (unlike their 1st and 2nd generation predecessors), as apposed to warlocks who are undoubtedly evil and choose be become and remain as such
    Last edited by Jawless Jones; 2012-12-05 at 12:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Scummer's topic got me thinking again; Draenei are Eredar cleansed by the Naa'ru
    FULL STOP.

We are not.

We never were Man'ari Eredar, thus there was no need to cleanse us. Velen saw the corruption Sargeras would bring and fled along with 1/3rd of our race before any corruption actually occurred.

As for the warlocks: Again and again because you people can't seem to grasp this concept:
    Draenei are physically incapable of wielding fel magic. Hell even the abundant presence of fel magic in the attack of Shattrath caused a cut in the ties to the light, rendering the afflicted ones Krokul (Broken ones).

Yes you could play a Krokul-Warlock. NO you will never ever be able to play a Draenei warlock. Not w/o a massive retcon (Metzen inc? <_<) that would essentially fuck up our entire races signature.

New young Draenei doesn't really know their past history as well as those still alive who experienced it, whilst they were surely taught that fel magic is bad, I would say it's not far fetched at all that some of them would pick up the art and practice it, after seeing just how powerful it is.
    What?!

1) Draenei are immortal. Don't compare our youth with humans
    2) The last big attack was 60 years ago. For an immortal race that would be like .. yesterday. Hell we crashed 6 years ago because fel-consuming maniacs disabled our engines....

DKs don't cast fel magic.
    DKs didn't choose to bekome DKs.
    DKs don't summon demons.
    DKs are NOT evil by nature. They were mind controlled by the Lich King.
    DKs have a hard time already and most of them are shunned and NOT welcomed back.

I will NEVER accept a warlock. I will hunt them down an kill any of them before they can become Man'ari and harm us all.
    Last edited by Granyala; 2012-12-05 at 12:22 PM.

Lorewise, they should have been able to play as a warlock.

The Lightbringer Highlord Hanibuhl's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryonic View Post
    Add a poll. Would be fun to see summary. I like this idea
    Added a poll!

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    FULL STOP.

We are not.

We never were Man'ari Eredar, thus there was no need to cleanse us. Velen saw the corruption Sargeras would bring and fled along with 1/3rd of our race before any corruption actually occurred.

As for the warlocks: Again and again because you people can't seem to grasp this concept:
    Draenei are physically incapable of wielding fel magic. Hell even the abundant presence of fel magic in the attack of Shattrath caused a cut in the ties to the light, rendering the afflicted ones Krokul (Broken ones).

Yes you could play a Krokul-Warlock. NO you will never ever be able to play a Draenei warlock. Not w/o a massive retcon (Metzen inc? <_<) that would essentially fuck up our entire races signature.

What?!

1) Draenei are immortal. Don't compare our youth with humans
    2) The last big attack was 60 years ago. For an immortal race that would be like .. yesterday. Hell we crashed 6 years ago because fel-consuming maniacs disabled our engines....

DKs don't cast fel magic.
    DKs didn't choose to bekome DKs.
    DKs don't summon demons.
    DKs are NOT evil by nature. They were mind controlled by the Lich King.
    DKs have a hard time already and most of them are shunned and NOT welcomed back.

I will NEVER accept a warlock. I will hunt them down an kill any of them before they can become Man'ari and harm us all.
    Love your enthusiasm, but we *are* Eredar. We're just not the corrupted kind.
    But if we were to be controlling the demons, we could use em for our own good!