Poll: Draenei warlocks; would you like to see them?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Been a long time since I've seen that. Watching this till hurts like hell.

if the naaru tell them to feed on feces they will do so. if the naaru tell them to accept a handful of warlocks, they will do so, even if they aren't very fond of the idea.
    No. They would not. They are not mindless slaves. Remember the schism between Scrycers(?) and Aldor?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by checking facts View Post
    except that lore conservationism takes us nowhere.
    It's not lore conservationism, it's a pure understand of anthropological and cultural bases. Even the name "Draenei" (Exiled Ones) is a construct of their battle and run from their fel brothers. A moment a "Draenei" starts using fel, he stops being a Draenei.

10+ Year Old Account
    Eredar, the originals then became maanari eredar and the draenai (exiles).

Even though they said they would never do felmagic, why do they have mages then? This is why the night elves got rid of all magic (druidism/holy not included) until now. A warlock, by lore, is simply a mage that craves more power, and finally delves into the felarcane. (gamewise, if ur not affliction, u lose to mages, unless its pvp, where u always lose to mages). And honestly, there are also those, who likes to fight fire with fire.

Once a "draenai" uses felaracane, their body changes within, or at least we are told. (cutting ties with the broken for now, as they were corrupted through other means rather wielding it, it was forced onto an unwilling host by an assailant (orcs) or by the demonic enviroment.) The warlocks out in terrocar forrest have little to no distinction besides being a darker tint in color, which you can be. Now the Eredar that were corrupted by Sargaras and his legion changed them, either substantually in some cases (kiljaedan) or not much (the prince in Kara or Archimonde) or something in the middle (terrorguards.) So, make this a little easier on lore people, I am going to place "They would shunned, exiled, beaten with a rubber hose," on the side for now.

In most settings, a warlock is shunned, feared, and exiled. In cities, lorewise, noone really knows who warlocks are, as warlocks will not show themselves, or their pet minions, unless you are forsaken or blood elf. I dont know if lorewise stormwind knows, but that nice little warlock cove back in a bar is what i see as what most warlocks would do, and they are not know, lorewise (at least from vanilla/bc days). So if a major alliance city has an underground coven of locks, not known to most, (as i am sure the si7 know about it and check it regularly.) what is going to stop an ancient race from having a secret coven themselves that is unknown from most eyes, besides the blatant prejudice of some crusaders, that would knock on doors and execute whoever they believe is a felmagic user even if they are not, that hold no respect for some that would go to the means of self sacrificing with fire to kill an enemy that they hate even if they must become the enemy them self?

So we come to the point on why draenai can/cannot become warlocks. Lorewise, it is stated that they "change" and that the entire draenai race is prejudice against anyone who wields felaracane. In the end, there are always going the select few who will fight fire with fire (some will sub come to the legions influence) and will keep it secret. Lorewise, it is not that hard to implement a secret order of locks to the draenai. ( it really isnt). In lore they would look like shadow priests or mages, and would never have their minions summoned in public. Sure, if they did they would be exiled, feared, and hated, but when is a lock not (not including forsakened or blood elves and wel now orcs since garrosh took office)? Hell, even mages are shunned in night elf society.

Draenai should eventually have the class option to be locks. (and druids for that matter). The lore is and always has been there to have them (and not). And with Xi'ri helping locks come 5.2 (or hopefully sooner) the naaru even see the importance of them (the ones that can control the power)

No draenei from the exodar would want to wield fel energy. Your best bet for warlocks similar to draenei would be redeemed man'ari.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your best bet for warlocks similar to draenei would be redeemed man'ari.
    I like that. Man'ari that were born thousands of years later and disagree with the legions views would be infinitely more plausible than a draenei going power hungry and spouting felmagic anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    No draenei from the exodar would want to wield fel energy. Your best bet for warlocks similar to draenei would be redeemed man'ari.
    Which has not happend yet now. No eredar who has sided with Kil'jaden and Archemond has ever returned to the light, they're beyond redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    It's not lore conservationism, it's a pure understand of anthropological and cultural bases. Even the name "Draenei" (Exiled Ones) is a construct of their battle and run from their fel brothers. A moment a "Draenei" starts using fel, he stops being a Draenei.
    precisely this.
    im not a lore conservative, i'm all for people branching out into new areas.
    tauren learning how to paladin works, regardless of the idjits screaming lore rape.
    most races learning most races works.

draenei being warlocks is one of the few that doesn't work. if the draenei were about anything else other than "we don't abide demons" then it could happen, but not being warlocks is literally the entire social construct of being draenei and that's nigh upon impossible to resolve in lore.

now having eredar leave the Burning Legion and enter gameplay as a neutral race that can be warlocks. that's feasible, draenei warlocks makes even less sense than Forsaken Paladins however. a Forsaken Paladin would be an oddity in lore and most of his Forsaken comrades would think he's batshit insane, but the chances of them thinking he's an abomination and forcibly removing him from their midst isn't high. if any Draenei took up fel magic they would be ridden out of town on a rail as soon as any other draenei found out, and that's if the draenei race was feeling merciful and didn't outright execute the dangerous heretic.
    they abide warlocks in the Alliance ranks because...well what are they going to do? tell King Varian that his humans are not allowed to be warlocks anymore because the draenei don't trust them? they are guests on this planet and they know it, they are not about to overstep their bounds by making demands on other races, they can make demands on their own people and they do. no warlocks is more than their law, it's basically their guiding principle around which their society revolves. they hate demons even more than they hate Orcs and they can't find it in their great big blue hearts to forgive the Orcs.
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

Quote Originally Posted by BatteredRose View Post
    They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    I like that. Man'ari that were born thousands of years later and disagree with the legions views would be infinitely more plausible than a draenei going power hungry and spouting felmagic anyway.
    They would just lump them in with the draenei. It would basically be a draenei warlock. It's why tauren "sun druids" are in-game paladins, because they didn't want to create an entire new class just for tauren sun druids, so they went with paladins. Just like they would just give draenei warlocks but have the flavor text of them being redeemed Man'ari, instead of making a new race just for that purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ask View Post
    I've always wanted draenei warlocks.
    Draenei aren't all light kissers. Some of them did choose to follow Sargeras and are part of the Burning Legion right now. So why not, really ?
    I voted no, but I'm honestly agreeing with you. I guess we might see some draenei locks in the next burning legion xpac.
    Sweeter than yo mama's apple pie.

Quote Originally Posted by Granyala View Post
    No. They would not. They are not mindless slaves. Remember the schism between Scrycers(?) and Aldor?
    yeah, the naaru a'dal told them to work together with their hated enemies against illidan and the deceiver.

and they did. they hated it, but they did.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 11:15 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Tauror View Post
    no, the moment a draenei goes back to argus he stops being a draenei. it means "exiled ones", not "pure ones" or "non-warlock ones". all their name means is that they are exiled from their home world.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

The other day I saw a female Draenei wearing the Warlock T10 (ICC) offset pieces. Looked pretty smexy. So Draenei Warlocks get my vote, haha.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

yeah, the naaru a'dal told them to work together with their hated enemies against illidan and the deceiver.

and they did. they hated it, but they did.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 11:15 PM ----------

no, the moment a draenei goes back to argus he stops being a draenei. it means "exiled ones", not "pure ones" or "non-warlock ones". all their name means is that they are exiled from their home world.
    a self-imposed exile to get away from their demonic ilk.

basically they ran away and politicized it as "we've exiled ourselves"
    not that i can blame them and i'm not implying that it was a weak move, but it's not any sort of genuine exile and it is all about demons and fel and warlockery
    “He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.”

They're greedy soulless monsters for not handing me everything for my 15 moneys a month!

10+ Year Old Account
    there can't be any Draenai Warlocks because the Dreanai and the Alliance would exile or kill them you got to remember the lore it can't happen because you would be seen as a minion of the Burning Legion

Quote Originally Posted by Dellis0991 View Post
    there can't be any Draenai Warlocks because the Dreanai and the Alliance would exile or kill them you got to remember the lore it can't happen because you would be seen as a minion of the Burning Legion
    well to be 100% fair, the Alliance probably wouldn't do anything. they are distrustful of warlocks but Gnomes, Humans,Dwarves, and Worgen get along as is without their racial hierarchy flipping out. Velen might burn them with Holy Flame however.

Quote Originally Posted by Albert the fish View Post

not that i can blame them and i'm not implying that it was a weak move, but it's not any sort of genuine exile and it is all about demons and fel and warlockery
    but being a warlock does not make them demons or equals to the eredar who sold themselves to the legion.

did you know that when demons are killed, they just come back later in new bodies?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Banish_the_Demons

the true way to defeat a demon is by destroying their bodies and banishing their souls. do you know who can do that?

warlocks. warlocks are the best at fighting demons. they know all about demons, they can control demons, they can make them slaughter each other, they can banish their souls.

a race whose worst enemy is the burning legion needs warlocks, else they are fated to lose their war.

of course, they could always just make use of gnome warlocks and human warlocks. but that just makes them into hipocrites. "we don't mess with demons because that would make us evil, but we need someone who does to help us. could you kindly go evil in our instead?"
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    Because they went against the decision of their homeworld, which was to embrace fel magic, therefore they exiled themselves. It's right on the Rise of the Horde novel.

What you want is the same as religious money-lover communist. It's a paradox.

May as well. If NE's can break their taboo and become mages, I don't see why draenei can't go warlock.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

10+ Year Old Account

It's not self imposed. Archimonde and Kil'Jaeden were furious when they learned of Velens decision, because they regarded it as Treason. They started hunting their Eredar brethren and they would have been slaughtered right there on Argus if the Naaru hadn't intervened and helped them to flee.

So yeah, we didn't even have the choice of peaceful coexistence. It was: "Accept the naaru help and run, become a slave to Sargeras or die".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathory View Post
    May as well. If NE's can break their taboo and become mages, I don't see why draenei can't go warlock.
    That's the thing, unlike the magic taboo among the Night Elves, the fel energy is not a taboo among the Draenei. It's forbidden and against their cultural codes.

but being a warlock does not make them demons or equals to the eredar who sold themselves to the legion.

did you know that when demons are killed, they just come back later in new bodies?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Quest:Banish_the_Demons

the true way to defeat a demon is by destroying their bodies and banishing their souls. do you know who can do that?

warlocks. warlocks are the best at fighting demons. they know all about demons, they can control demons, they can make them slaughter each other, they can banish their souls.

a race whose worst enemy is the burning legion needs warlocks, else they are fated to lose their war.

of course, they could always just make use of gnome warlocks and human warlocks. but that just makes them into hipocrites. "we don't mess with demons because that would make us evil, but we need someone who does to help us. could you kindly go evil in our instead?"
    i'm not saying their decision makes perfect sense. i'm saying they decided to steer well clear of demonic magics...that's what makes them draenei.
    also holy power has the ability to destroy demons, hell even physical destruction under the right circumstances does. it's just hard.

also nature magic can do it, that's what killed Archimonde.
    presumably anything CAN kill a demon, you just have to use enough force, or for Dreadlords kill them on their home planet(theoretically since i don't think that has been directly tested yet)

and warlock magic doesn't make them demons IMMEDIATELY, but blizzard hasn't been shy about pointing out that inundation with fel/demonic magic does turn people into demons eventually.
    there is more than a few npcs in the game that are demons now because they got too hard into warlock shit.