Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Would you consider this a "Ninja"?

I frequently tank on my paladin to get off spec gear and to get the satchel of exotic mysteries. (i have found several rare mini pets, and also the green proto drake from this bag).

Anyway, whenever I tank a dungeon, for various reasons, I always always hit "need" whenever i see a Ghost Iron Lockbox drop.

Ghost Iron Lockbox

Would you consider this a "ninja"? I dont think it is because of the ability to need in the first place, and in cross realm dungeons, usually everyone hits need anyway. Do you usually hit need on items like this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    I frequently tank on my paladin to get off spec gear and to get the satchel of exotic mysteries. (i have found several rare mini pets, and also the green proto drake from this bag).

Anyway, whenever I tank a dungeon, for various reasons, I always always hit "need" whenever i see a Ghost Iron Lockbox drop.

Ghost Iron Lockbox

Would you consider this a "ninja"? I dont think it is because of the ability to need in the first place, and in cross realm dungeons, usually everyone hits need anyway. Do you usually hit need on items like this?
    I would click need if i knew i was gonna bother getting it opened, and i do click need on any other BoE kind of item that everybody else may click need on, but i know already that these will just rot up in my bags/bank and then i'll vendor them at the end :P

nope............

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zykaz View Post
    I would click need if i knew i was gonna bother getting it opened, and i do click need on any other BoE kind of item that everybody else may click need on, but i know already that these will just rot up in my bags/bank and then i'll vendor them at the end :P
    The nice thing about the ghost iron lockboxes is that if you hit need, the item inside the box isnt BoP. So you can still trade it to your enchanter alt to disenchant it. Not to mention the nice 40g just waiting to be grabbed up in the box.

10+ Year Old Account
    Technically it's not ninja'ing. Do I think it is? Sure. You're depriving the rest of the group the chance at a piece of vendor loot and some extra gold

I'm not sure "and in cross realm dungeons, usually everyone hits need anyway." is accurate. Least not from what I've seen. From an old school perspective it might not be ninja'ing but it's bad manners unless some trigger happy person rolls need first. It's the same concept as any other green. You don't hit Need for that two handed green that vendors for 30g do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Technically it's not ninja'ing. Do I think it is? Sure. You're depriving the rest of the group the chance at a piece of vendor loot and some extra gold
    But is it ok when everyone in the group is hitting need? Thats what usually happens, i see everyone hit need, so i do the same.

---------- Post added 2012-11-02 at 07:00 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by omni View Post
    I'm not sure "and in cross realm dungeons, usually everyone hits need anyway." is accurate. Least not from what I've seen. From an old school perspective it might not be ninja'ing but it's bad manners unless some trigger happy person rolls need first. It's the same concept as any other green. You don't hit Need for that two handed green that vendors for 30g do you?
    No not really on any green items, just the lockboxes.

I wish blizz would've removed the need option on lockboxes ages ago.
    Its an item that everyone "needs"...It's vendor trash with gold, and with a possible chance to get another lockbox inside.
    So to your question, i see needing on lockboxes as ninja-ing (i don't get upset about it, just *sigh* and move along)

ps. amazingly for the 6 or 7 times i seen it drop in dungeon it was won by a greed roll (all of them). Besides that, you don't see everyone roll need as with the new system you only see if a need/greed roll has won it after everyone has rolled.

Nothing in this game can technically be ninja'd, so no.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Valdigor View Post
    I wish blizz would've removed the need option on lockboxes ages ago.
    Its an item that everyone "needs"...It's vendor trash with gold, and with a possible chance to get another lockbox inside.
    So to your question, i see needing on lockboxes as ninja-ing (i don't get upset about it, just *sigh* and move along)

ps. amazingly for the 6 or 7 times i seen it drop in dungeon it was won by a greed roll (all of them). Besides that, you don't see everyone roll need as with the new system you only see if a need/greed roll has won it after everyone has rolled.
    Yeah i once got 3 more lockboxes from a single lockbox. It was pretty amazing

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess so, but I wouldn't care about an item like that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yes because you do NOT need a lockbox even if you are a rogue, or got the ability from a profession to open it. However personally I allways keep check if some idiot needs on them, and then need as well. Thankfully it does not happen all that often anymore.

Also I fully agree its stupid that you can still need on them - especially after they removed the option to need on the dmf quest drops.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Not at all. If it's custom for all to need then I see no problem with this at all. There honestly should only be one button on things like lockboxes anyway.

Edit: How the heck could it possibly be ninjaing if not hitting need means you'd be the only one who doesn't have a chance at it? Saying you're a ninja because someone doesnt understand the custom of needing the lockbox and there's a possibility of someone greeding is like saying you're a ninja for hitting greed because someone doesnt understand the custom of greeding greens and could pass and intended to /roll on it.

Second edit: if no one truly needs a lockbox, it only makes sense for all to need, similar to rare mounts and the tabard from SM. By not having a custom of group need it only opens the door for accusations of ninjas. For any item where there is no true possibility for someone to -need- it persay I can see no reason why we ought not all hit need to close the door to all forms of system abuse.
    Last edited by Xenryusho; 2012-11-02 at 07:17 PM.

I always need on them on the off chance someone else in the group does as well.

https://us.battle.net/support/en/art...zzard-s-stance

Quote Originally Posted by Blizzard
    World of Warcraft makes traditional loot theft impossible, since loot follows specific eligibility rules. Players will only be able to loot items they are entitled to access; they cannot "ninja" loot from other players.

My rule of thumb - ask the group. If everyone is rolling Need, then do it. If everyone else rolls Greed, and you Need, then that is kinda lame. If I see a mix - I ask.

I always roll greed on those. I'm happy if somebody rolls need tbh and I have a rogue to open them. They usually just end up cluttering my bags until I get pissed off and vendor/destroy them.

Not to hijack the post but I have a "ninjaing" question of my own. In a 5 man dungeon I was on my druid tank, there were no other leather wearers in the group. Leather healing belt drops from the boss. I watched to make sure nobody needed on it (which I expected since nobody wore leather). It was an upgrade with my healing set and everyone else rolled greed. I assumed nobody would mind if I rolled need. Shaman healer called ninja (even though he rolled greed) and promptly left the group on the next pull. I had to laugh it off. Was that considered ninjaing?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaylock View Post
    But is it ok when everyone in the group is hitting need? Thats what usually happens, i see everyone hit need, so i do the same.
    Just what groups are you going with? I do dungeons every day on more than one character (tank/dps on one, heals on another), nevermind leveling dungeons and I have yet to see anyone needing on all of the lockboxes or greens. It's so rare that most of the time the group is flabbergasted that anyone did roll need.

Quote Originally Posted by l0rdcha0s View Post
    Not to hijack the post but I have a "ninjaing" question of my own. In a 5 man dungeon I was on my druid tank, there were no other leather wearers in the group. Leather healing belt drops from the boss. I watched to make sure nobody needed on it (which I expected since nobody wore leather). It was an upgrade with my healing set and everyone else rolled greed. I assumed nobody would mind if I rolled need. Shaman healer called ninja (even though he rolled greed) and promptly left the group on the next pull. I had to laugh it off. Was that considered ninjaing?
    No, especially since only you can use it. I don't ask when only I can use it, but I will say "taking for OS"

Blizz's stance is irrelevant to reality. If someone who has a belt, needs the same belt for the soul purpose of depriving someone who can actually gain benefit from it. It is ninja looting. Blizz issued that statement because they cannot, and will not, devote the resources to investigating and resolving all cases of loot discrepancy especially when most of the reported cases could be subject to terribly subjective outlooks. Rather, they continue to improve the system so that these cases of abuse are less common (change to LFR loot for instance) and at the same time take a hands off approach to the situations that remain.

Once again, blizz does not decide what is ninja looting, they only decide what they feel is ninja looting based on their intent for policy management and enforcement. It's up to the community as a whole to either do a comprehensive analysis of ninja looting. Or decide on a case by case basis what counts as abuse of the looting system.