Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Deleted
    Sorry for using your thread, rigo93, hope you won't mind. But I am considering to build and want a new computer too. I'm playing SWTOR, GW2, WoW, Allods Online, Blacklight Retribution, Tribes Ascend etc. on min/medium. I really want to play those games on at least good, preferably on ultra (highest settings).

I haven't build a pc for so long, it feels like I forgot about stuff surrounding building a pc and it doesn't help either I haven't followed hardware specific in detail articles on Tom's Hardware and Anandtech for some years. I am mostly reading the news on different pc related sites. I didn't know the Core i5 is such a good choice for a gaming pc, still I don't like it that it has integrated GPU. Surely everyone will buy a separate GPU for the job? Anyway, I don't know no nothing about overclocking, so would it be better for me just to buy Core i5 3570? I see that one is like 15-20 euros at some computer shops in my town. Or even Core i5 3470, that one is like 40 euros cheaper overall.

Since you guys are talking about SSDs aswell, which brand you guys recommend? Intel, Samsung, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ or Crucial? I see only those brands at the stores in my town. And specifically if I look at the specs, what should I pay attention to? The IOPS? And the type of controller it uses I assume it doesn't really matter does it?

Lastly, which motherboard should one choose with the Core i5 3570K processor if you I want to spend like only max 120 euros on a motherboard? And specifically which chipset should I look for? If I look at the websites of my local computer stores, I see motherboards with either a Intel H77 or Z77 chipset in that price range.

Thanks in advance for reading.
    Last edited by mmoc907bd1685c; 2012-12-06 at 03:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    The vast majority listed on that site are not games and just benchmarking software. The game that are listed there is a 3.6 difference at most. Is 3.6 FPS worth $100? When you are already above 60/120 and with VSync on there will be ZERO difference? Also, those are about the only games that actually support Hyperthreading. SWTOR does not, nor do most games. Any game that does not utilze Hyperthreadign will see ZERO difference between an i5 and an i7.

---------- Post added 2012-12-05 at 07:32 PM ----------

Yes, but the reason for that is not the SSD, all the SSD does is save you a littl on the load times. It does not make the game run smoother. It does not increase your FPS. It's the rest of your system doing that.

All I was saying is that an SSD, while nice, is a luxury that offers very very little to MMO games, even SWTOR.
    New to this thread, and I agree with this assessment.

I'm also in the market and considering a new comp. This information is invaluable. However, personally, and I think it bears out in a lot of things that having a good SSD with a large 7200+ 1-2tb drive would be the optimal for a system.

I love the info on the cpu's in this thread and is helping me refine what I'm looking for in a build.

Questions that I have, would be, 8/16 on RAM, Windows 7 vs 8, 1/2gb on a video card?

And yes, at this point, my main gaming is SWTOR. But I do at least some streaming of videos, and I'd like the option to hook it up to my 46" television and maybe watch and play at the same time.

Deleted
    Personally, I would agree that you could spend 2k on a proper quality rig, with all the bells and whistles, and you might enjoy crisper graphics and images, and slightly shorter load screens but the simple fact is this. I have an average rig, and sometimes I login and the games a bit slow, especially in busier server times, and the combat seems slightly laggy in places. Other times late at night or earlier morning I loging and its like the games running on speed! Super fast, no delay and instant combat.(its pefect its like your the only one on the server!)

The speed of your Internet, and the speed in which the swotor servers opperate at peak times is a massive part of how enjoyable your gamming experience is and no amount of spending on your rig is going to change that, however it might help smooth the edges, on what you feel and see visually.

I find if you pump up every graphic setting theres too much going on, anyhow and its a bit OTT and even though my system can handle it, i find if you tweak settings, bring a few settings down you can find a great medium, which actually looks and feels better the everything full hog anyway, which begs the question why do you need every setting full other then to just boast about it?

What good is a ferrari if you live in the city, and your longest trip is the school run.
    Last edited by mmoc7b1b5106fe; 2012-12-06 at 10:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkEmperor View Post
    Sorry for using your thread, rigo93, hope you won't mind. But I am considering to build and want a new computer too. I'm playing SWTOR, GW2, WoW, Allods Online, Blacklight Retribution, Tribes Ascend etc. on min/medium. I really want to play those games on at least good, preferably on ultra (highest settings).

I haven't build a pc for so long, it feels like I forgot about stuff surrounding building a pc and it doesn't help either I haven't followed hardware specific in detail articles on Tom's Hardware and Anandtech for some years. I am mostly reading the news on different pc related sites. I didn't know the Core i5 is such a good choice for a gaming pc, still I don't like it that it has integrated GPU. Surely everyone will buy a separate GPU for the job? Anyway, I don't know no nothing about overclocking, so would it be better for me just to buy Core i5 3570? I see that one is like 15-20 euros at some computer shops in my town. Or even Core i5 3470, that one is like 40 euros cheaper overall.

Since you guys are talking about SSDs aswell, which brand you guys recommend? Intel, Samsung, Kingston, Corsair, OCZ or Crucial? I see only those brands at the stores in my town. And specifically if I look at the specs, what should I pay attention to? The IOPS? And the type of controller it uses I assume it doesn't really matter does it?

Lastly, which motherboard should one choose with the Core i5 3570K processor if you I want to spend like only max 120 euros on a motherboard? And specifically which chipset should I look for? If I look at the websites of my local computer stores, I see motherboards with either a Intel H77 or Z77 chipset in that price range.

Thanks in advance for reading.
    May as well get the 3570k, it is not much more, and even if you do not plan on OCing rigth away, 2 years down the road if you want a boost out of your system you can buy a better cooler and OC it. It is actually a lot easier than you might think too, especially with a k version chip. They were designed to be OCed and with the right MoBo it is very easy to do.

For SSD's, the brand I currently recommend it a Samsung 830/840 Series.

ASUS boards are my favorite, they are really good boards. ASRock are a little cheaper and offer some of the best price/feature on the market. If you go with the k chip, you want the Z77. It is the Overclockable board. The ASRock Extreme4 is a highly recommended board.

If you want more advice, please head to the computer sub forum, really, do. It is probably one of the best places to get advice on buying a PC.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 08:29 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    New to this thread, and I agree with this assessment.

I'm also in the market and considering a new comp. This information is invaluable. However, personally, and I think it bears out in a lot of things that having a good SSD with a large 7200+ 1-2tb drive would be the optimal for a system.

I love the info on the cpu's in this thread and is helping me refine what I'm looking for in a build.

Questions that I have, would be, 8/16 on RAM, Windows 7 vs 8, 1/2gb on a video card?

And yes, at this point, my main gaming is SWTOR. But I do at least some streaming of videos, and I'd like the option to hook it up to my 46" television and maybe watch and play at the same time.
    Most definitely, a good SSD and a 500GB/1-2TB Storage drive is optimal. However, when someone like the OP does not provide a budget, the best bet is too keep it as low as possible. Doing a combo adds ~$100 to a build and is not worth it in a system primarily for gaming as all it does is slightly lower loading times. It does not affect quality or FPS in any way.

8/16 GB RAM. 16 Offers you nearly nothing for gaming, unless you are running a RAM Drive for SWTOR and need extra RAM. No game will really use all 8GB of your RAM, and even if they do, at that point they do not really suffer in performance, at least not noticeably. However, RAM is cheap, 16 is not much more than 8, so really, up to you.

Windows 7/8. I would go with 7. I never use a version of Windows until they are developing the next one, though I have heard good things about 8. I can't say anything bad about 8. This, again, is purely preference.

1/2 GB Video Card. Purely depends on if you are running a multi-monitor setup or not. If you are running 1 monitor or 1 for gaming 1 for browsing, 1GB is more than enough. If you are running an Eyefinity setup streacthing your game across 3 monitors you would want the 2GB.

Really though, if you want Computer advice, you should go to the Computer Sub-Forum here on MMO-C. It is probably one of the best places in the world to go to for computer advice. Myself and many other system builders more experienced than me post there regularly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lwa View Post
    Get a WD Raptor drive instead.
    If you waste your money for the small increase for something like that buy a caching ssd for the 7200 rpm hard drive will deliver way better results.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ew,3087-8.html actually shows Amd not doing to bad in SWtOR.

Quote Originally Posted by rigo93 View Post
    Motherboard: ASUS M5A88-M

Graphics Card: Radeon HD7770 1GB

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition

RAM: 8 GB

HDD: 1 TB 7200 rpm

PSU: 600 W

Building a computer is fun but it would be my first gaming build, please help me with this. I'm aiming for max or ultra settings with still great FPS.
    Do yourself a favor: if you want to be gaming, buy Intel/Nvidia, not AMD/ATI. AMD/ATI systems have 10000x more problems then intel ones on just about every single launch.

All I was saying is that an SSD, while nice, is a luxury that offers very very little to MMO games, even SWTOR.
    Strongly disagree here. My main grip with the game is the HUGE loading times, and SSD aleviates that.