Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Dave Kosak Interview (5.1) - Wowhead

Hi everyone, wowhead just posted an interview with Dave Kosak about 5.1 and different design choices put into the quests I thought some people here might want to discuss it as daily quests are a hot topic right now in regards to MOP

http://www.wowhead.com/news=208882/w...ner-dave-kosak

10+ Year Old Account
    Woot.

In before Alliance v.s. Horde debate. Glad he acknowledges Tyrande though.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Deleted
    " I haven't even started my cloud serpent mount, and I'm really excited about that faction, just had other things to do."

Ha. Hahah!

I'm not daily hater (i'm one of those who did every possible daily everyday if not exalted), just started doing pandaren ambassador on my second toon, but i just can't agree on that. Cloud serpents were shittiest dailies after jade serpent AC ones, and i'm really happy that with rep buff, i'm already halfway revered after 2 days of dailies... dunno how that did happen, never saw any eggs.

This whole interview (in fact, every interview) feels to me like it's from some other game.

10+ Year Old Account
    The stuff about Tyrande does kinda piss me off.
    He claims that they did not intend to put her in a bad light, yet they wanted her to charge headlong at a fortified position with a ""casualties be damned"" attitude. I'm not sure how that wouldn't have put in anything but a bad light.
    If 5.1 is Kosak's idea of "bad ass Night Elves" as he said a while ago then I have little faith in Night Elf lore anymore.

Sorry to sound so critical over it, but Night Elves have kinda gotten the short end of the stick and the trend continues.

The Tyrande stuff is just bullshit.

Tyrande was headstrong in War3, but she wasn't stupid. And that is how she is portrayed as in 5.1. Anyone could figure out its a trap, and they make Tyrande go "/shrug LETS GO DO EETTT."

You can make Varian a better lead in other ways than at the expense of the other faction leaders. I wanted the "Trials of the High King" nonsense, but not in a way of like "Oh Varian is the High King because he's not an absolute moron like Tyrande is."

Deleted
    Your question gets to the real heart of it there. A lot of people, as soon as the expansion launched, felt dailies were mandatory and started grinding their faces off--which is a pretty terrible way to play dailies.

You heard it here first folks. Dave Kosak 2012!

Makes dailies mandatory. Feels people actually doing dailies constantly is a terrible way to be play.

Ladies and gentleman, Dave 'Fargo' Kosak.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post
    He claims that they did not intend to put her in a bad light, yet they wanted her to charge headlong at a fortified position with a ""casualties be damned"" attitude. I'm not sure how that wouldn't have put in anything but a bad light.
    If 5.1 is Kosak's idea of "bad ass Night Elves" as he said a while ago then I have little faith in Night Elf lore anymore.

Sorry to sound so critical over it, but Night Elves have kinda gotten the short end of the stick and the trend continues.
    To be fair, that's very much the attitude she had in Warcraft 3's Sentinel campaigns. If the enemy was there, you bet your biscuits she was going to attack; she even raided a Warden-run prison to free Illidan just on the off chance he would cooperate and bolster her forces without giving thought to what would happen if he turned traitor or what would happen after the war was over, for better or worse.

The problem is, the intention's there (I could see it between smacking around waves of cannon fodder) but the execution makes her feel more petulant than headstrong. It's like they tried to give her back her spine, but put it in upside-down and skewed kind of funky.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JhanZ View Post
    Makes dailies mandatory. Feels people actually doing dailies constantly is a terrible way to be play.

Ladies and gentleman, Dave 'Fargo' Kosak.
    They are not really mandatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by KrazyK923 View Post
    You can make Varian a better lead in other ways than at the expense of the other faction leaders. I wanted the "Trials of the High King" nonsense, but not in a way of like "Oh Varian is the High King because he's not an absolute moron like Tyrande is."
    In all fairness, I did call that they were going to hand the other Alliance leaders either the 'slavering fanboy' or 'incompetent' balls to shill the whole development. It's why I've never been very jazzed about the whole thing, political ramifications aside.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

Lead quest designer.

Quests. The worst part of wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Tedsterz View Post
    Extra loot progression in a game where loot progression is key, I can see why people think they are.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    No, but they felt that way....and actually were in some ways.

The Daily design was a minor failure in many ways.

EJL

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scummer View Post

people wanted Tyrande to be more then a housewife to malfurion and show some kind of night elven fury again, so her suddenly going all 'sod the peasants just kill them all!' is what you get as a result.
    #boycottchina

Deleted
    on my server Horde doesnt even exist (Silvermoon EU) all we have from PvP is killing Horde mobs which is good thing actually because I rolled on PvE server for a reason.

If you want to spend the valor points you get from dungeons or tillers dailies, there was no way around doing dailies for the factions who offer gear (in 5.0). Thats why dailies felt/feel mandatory.
    With the upgrade system in 5.1 this is a bit better, but just a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    people wanted Tyrande to be more then a housewife to malfurion and show some kind of night elven fury again, so her suddenly going all 'sod the peasants just kill them all!' is what you get as a result.
    Except there's more that can be done than "doormat wife" and "idiot commander."

Tyrande wasn't stupid in Warcraft 3, even if she was headstrong.

If you want to spend the valor points you get from dungeons or tillers dailies, there was no way around doing dailies for the factions who offer gear (in 5.0).
    Unless you do...you know...raiding...for valor...and then they changed rep needed for some stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by DarkAviator View Post
    If you want to spend the valor points you get from dungeons or tillers dailies, there was no way around doing dailies for the factions who offer gear (in 5.0). Thats why dailies felt/feel mandatory.
    With the upgrade system in 5.1 this is a bit better, but just a bit.
    There is not one single thing that Blizzard has done to make dailies feel mandatory. It is all a creation of the players who are still stuck in the Cataclysm mentality of being required to cap and spend VP points every week.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Callei View Post
    To be fair, that's very much the attitude she had in Warcraft 3's Sentinel campaigns. If the enemy was there, you bet your biscuits she was going to attack; she even raided a Warden-run prison to free Illidan just on the off chance he would cooperate and bolster her forces without giving thought to what would happen if he turned traitor or what would happen after the war was over, for better or worse.

The problem is, the intention's there (I could see it between smacking around waves of cannon fodder) but the execution makes her feel more petulant than headstrong. It's like they tried to give her back her spine, but put it in upside-down and skewed kind of funky.
    Except back then when she said she was going to do something she damn well did it and executed her strategy well.
    The Scenario features the "gung ho" (Which I feel is a good way of putting it) attitude, except it had no planning involved and she in the end didn't go ahead with her wishes. So it isn't like WC3 at all in the way people enjoyed her.

Lets be honest rushing to attack a fortified temple with hostages in them is dumb. There is nothing about it that gives you the impression she had even the slightest bit of forethought about making a move. In the past she may have been quick to act on such a situation, but she was always decisive when she acted not going in blindly as they've set her up as.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 04:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    A housewife or a bad military leader. Great character .

Deleted
    In WC3 Tyrande leads the last stand against Archimonde and the legion to give Malfurion enough time to assemble enough wisps to take Archimonde down.

In WoW she derps around that silly new king character with anime hair they made up for wow.

Now that's going back to the characters roots for sure.