Warlocks Vs. Hunters

So I am thinking about rolling a new ranged DPS class and I am torn between a Hunter or a Warlock.

What are some cool stuff that really make Warlocks stand out?

How easy is a Warlock to play in a raid environment and such?

And most importantly, how FUN is a Lock to play?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Pmunk View Post
    So I am thinking about rolling a new ranged DPS class and I am torn between a Hunter or a Warlock.

What are some cool stuff that really make Warlocks stand out?

How easy is a Warlock to play in a raid environment and such?

And most importantly, how FUN is a Lock to play?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
    asking about how fun a warlock is on a warlock forum, that's kind of amusing.

Obviously people on the warlock forums play warlocks and almost everyone will tell you it is fun ( levels of fun may vary based on the person).

As for your other questions, I cannot really give you a proper answer about warlocks in a raid environment because I mostly play pvp, though I have quite some pve experience and from my point of view it's relatively easy to play, of course performance is affected by how good you manage things etc , and it also depends on specs( some specs are rather easier to play than others ).

overall, the cool things about locks are , well we're warlocks, shadow ,fire, demons, curses... most of our spells are centered around a dark caster playstyle.
    But the best thing you could do to decide is not listen to what others tell you about the class, just look at both hunter and warlock in general and see which appeals to you most, if you find shooting arrows ( or bullets) and taming beasts that you end up building a bond with appealing then go for hunter, and if you find a dark mage type caster who seeks power above all else then warlock is the class for you.

10+ Year Old Account
    im playing hunter as main and lock as alt and after all revamps lock seems 100x more fun than hunter...

10+ Year Old Account
    Cool stuff that no other class has, or very limited classes have:

- Class mounts

- Demon pets

- Demon form (if Demonology) + Demon Tank form through a glyph (also only Demonology)

- Summoning spell to get people to where you are.

- Healthstones that heal you for a very nice amount on a 2 min cooldown

- Underwater breathing, often overlooked, but so, SO very handy when doing random stuff, especially if you still need to level your lock. There's always underwater quests and you don't always get a water breathing buff. Plus if you (minor) glyph it you also get swimming speed increase.

- Spell to bind your vision to an eye that you can steer around places to scout.

- Spell to enslave all sorts of Demons to be your temporary pet.

Anything else is just part of the class balancing act and is not really "special".

Furthermore I don't think classes are any more difficult then another. It's just that some classes play in a way that just doesn't work with you. Me for instance, I get tired spamming Crusader Strike on my Pally, same thing with Sinister Strike as Combat rogue. I don't like either spec enough to learn how to play them without spamming their main builder, so for me, I choose to only play my Pally casually and my Rogue only as Assassination. Same thing goes for everybody else. Not everyone has the mind to get in to a groove of refreshing dots on time. You can learn, but if the class doesn't interest you much, you won't do it and either give up or play another spec.

The question what is more fun is a totally objective one and can't be answered by us for you. I'd just roll a warlock and play it till 50-ish. By then you have the core of your spells and should have a decent idea if the style fits you or not.

Another thing to consider in your choice is there are a lot less warlocks around then hunters. I just got my warlock to 90 and I'm loving demo. I love it so much that even after the chaos wave hotfix nerf I'm still going to play it. As soon as I hit 90 I got into a sha group and I was the only warlock. I was the hero because I could summon everyone. Running on water, summoning people, surviving falls from any distance, forward disengage every 10 seconds, typhoon every 12 seconds, tank mode and fear fear fear fear are only a few amazing reasons to choose warlock. They are 100% better then they were in cata.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by xskarma View Post
    Cool stuff that no other class has, or very limited classes have:

- Class mounts

- Demon pets

- Demon form (if Demonology) + Demon Tank form through a glyph (also only Demonology)

- Summoning spell to get people to where you are.

- Healthstones that heal you for a very nice amount on a 2 min cooldown

- Underwater breathing, often overlooked, but so, SO very handy when doing random stuff, especially if you still need to level your lock. There's always underwater quests and you don't always get a water breathing buff. Plus if you (minor) glyph it you also get swimming speed increase.

- Spell to bind your vision to an eye that you can steer around places to scout.

- Spell to enslave all sorts of Demons to be your temporary pet.

Anything else is just part of the class balancing act and is not really "special".

Furthermore I don't think classes are any more difficult then another. It's just that some classes play in a way that just doesn't work with you. Me for instance, I get tired spamming Crusader Strike on my Pally, same thing with Sinister Strike as Combat rogue. I don't like either spec enough to learn how to play them without spamming their main builder, so for me, I choose to only play my Pally casually and my Rogue only as Assassination. Same thing goes for everybody else. Not everyone has the mind to get in to a groove of refreshing dots on time. You can learn, but if the class doesn't interest you much, you won't do it and either give up or play another spec.

The question what is more fun is a totally objective one and can't be answered by us for you. I'd just roll a warlock and play it till 50-ish. By then you have the core of your spells and should have a decent idea if the style fits you or not.
    Forgot to mention...

Soul Burn: Underwater Breathing = Ability to walk on water

I personally prefer warlock over hunter. One thing I like about hunter more: a larger variety in pet looks, as well as being able to heal your pet and still do other things (I hate health funnel being a channeled spell). But my wrathguard is a pretty wonderful tank, and I can change his weapons if I want (thanks to the glyph). It's like having my own personal fury warrior that can tank.

Also, the underwater breathing spell is definitely awesome. Went farming crab meat off the southern part of Dread Wastes for my Grill cooking, and that spell was invaluable. And Destruction makes for a wonderful farm spec, especially if you are doing the older content for transmog purposes. Gather them all up, toss out a rain of fire, and use harvest life to stay alive. Or, if the mobs are a bit more resilient, you can toss a rain of fire to bring them to you, and then toss another at your feet. And also, with Demonology, as your demonic fury increases, you get purple glow to your hands and feet, then horns on your head, and then purple swirls around you. And as destruction, the more burning embers you have, the more on fire you become. And from what I have seen, there's no special effect on you.

Also, mana > focus. And I have a lot of good self healing. Although, harvest life can be a dick sometimes, aggroing others because they were just within range. Even worse with Mannoroth's Fury talent.

hunters are rarely fun if ever

play warlock

hunters aren't good and aren't fun. if they ever do get good, they are smashed with a nerf hammer. after a while of being awful, they get bandaid buffs.

Deleted
    Personally if you are looking for a raiding enviroment as you say, warlocks are probably one of the strongest classes raiding at the moment. Hunters have a niece but in terms of parses, struggle to be competitive.
    On terms of reasons why warlocks are fun to play, they have 3 viable raiding specs, and all which are played entirely different. It's not hard to fall for one spec and enjoy it.

Deleted
    To be honest to be either a really good warlock or a really good hunter takes a fair amount of practice, why to choose warlock? Well they are quite fun in pvp, and you can cc people to death( not the old hardcast fear, on fear on fear, thats gay) and have a really cool talent tree. But to be totally honest if you are gonna raid choose hunter since cloth and conq tokens are a fucking pain, if you care about that sorta thing ofcourse.

told you this thread is biased