Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    We'll being from a family that both had/has the poor, with the middel class, Ive gotten mixed results.

The worst is likely from my mom whoes now dead. I got a T-shirt that really sucked (Actually think it was for my birthday) and a pair of jeans that werent much good.

Besides that Im not sure. Then again I also rate presents off what I got out of them...The best 2 presents Ive ever gotten was my TV for my 18th birthday, my old Game Boy coulor from my grandmother maaaaaaany years ago, and my dads girlfriends bother gave me Diablo2. All 3 Ive used alot.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    There is no such thing as bad free stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzzie View Post
    what about the free polution that comes out of my car?

negative externalizes can be seen as bad. There is even a name for them, they are called bads.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    here have this free dog turd.

Deleted
    worst gift i ever got was a passport holder... when i was about 14 and my family was too poor to go on holiday. it was from an aunt, she knew full well that we were too poor to ever go on holiday outside the country.

my sister once got sellotape though, that was really funny.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 06:51 PM ----------

i like your festive avatar!

but yes, there is plenty of bad free stuff :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I went a solid 22 years without receiving any Xmas gifts or regarding Xmas as anything more than another mark on the calendar people used to guiltlessly get fatter.

Now that I'm away from the shithole I called a hometown and the infection I called a family, I openly accept and give just about anything during the occasion. It's the time of year to hear a song and become shamelessly happy for no apparently reason. It should be celebrated.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

I can't complain because it was a good present, but it got boring after a while. Lots and lots of money spread across the carpet that I had to pick up.

10+ Year Old Account
    every one of my key strokes is actually a brush stroke on the canvas that is the off-topic forum
    Santa has permanently banned me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    For the last few years, my older brother, with his family and nice home and sweet job, who makes the effort to tell how great his life is, for the past 3-4 years now, has shown pretty much the true nature of the stingy bastard bastard, or perhaps thoughtless goon.

For years now, like i do everyone else, I like to spend time thinking of a good gift to get someone. Even if I know it won't be much to spend, I try to find a nice gift and put a lot of thought into it. For example last year, I put money together for both my brother and sister in law, and brought them a Christmas hamper in lots of christmas goodies and wine and cheese and other stuff. And for christmas, what did my brother get me? A cheap deorderent set I saw in my local chemist on sale for a few pound.
    Likewise, the year before, I brought them a cook book cause he liked to cook Italian meals and his wife a first season of one of her fav series, and they got me a game for a console I didn't even own, and he even asked me when opening it 'hope you can play it dunno if you got console'.
    The question is: why do you still submit to your kind of petty-minded and hypocritical practice of that whole christmas craze when you guys are obviously pretty short on family bliss. Must be a fun bunch to be around.

10+ Year Old Account
    gotta love all the "my folks are rich/well off therefor i am entitled to something good" posts. you are not entitled to anything, be grateful for what you get, some folk dont get anything at all.
    Baa weep grahna weep ninny bong.

Deleted
    I've been getting decent Christmas presents in the past, most notably my current computer system, even though it was, what, 7 years ago?
    Last year was the worst regarding presents for me, actually. I got the latest Guinnes Book of Records (Like pretty much every year), a LED-flashlight-keychain-thingy and an AXE shower gel/deodorant set (Like pretty much every year).
    I turned 18 today, and my mom is planning to get me a tablet, (ASUS transformer is what I told her I'd like, I hope she doesn't bail me and get the Google Nexus 7 instead).

I guess that tablet will be my Christmas present, too, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post
    I've been getting decent Christmas presents in the past, most notably my current computer system, even though it was, what, 7 years ago?
    Last year was the worst regarding presents for me, actually. I got the latest Guinnes Book of Records (Like pretty much every year), a LED-flashlight-keychain-thingy and an AXE shower gel/deodorant set (Like pretty much every year).
    I turned 18 today, and my mom is planning to get me a tablet, (ASUS transformer is what I told her I'd like, I hope she doesn't bail me and get the Google Nexus 7 instead).

I guess that tablet will be my Christmas present, too, though.
    And what did you get her?

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    People (who are emotionally sensitive/intelligent) don't like giving money because gifts are supposed to be thoughtful, tailored to who the receiver is.
    People (who are emotionally sensitive/intelligent) might realize that for some people in some situations, plain old money is more thoughtful than objects or vouchers. It depends entirely on the giver and receiver of the gifts. Naturally this doesn't work for everyone, but the reverse (that plain old money is NEVER acceptable) also doesn't work for everyone. My husband gets a gift card to a store he NEVER GOES TO from a woman who insisted gift cards were a cheap cop out for years - which is less thoughtful than straight cash he'd use toward a larger purchase at a store he does frequent. She's pretty good at making that, "Oh, this is a shit gift, but I'll paste that awkward smile of a 7 year old getting socks on her face so you can tell I don't like this but it looks like I'm trying to be appreciative," face, too.

I can't remember a "worst gift ever" sort of thing, unless perhaps you might count silly disappointments as a small child (I wanted one particular toy for Christmas, ONE, and instead I got several things I had absolutely no interest in and cost more than the one toy I'd wanted to begin with; this was sort of a life long chain of single want/variety of "What were you thinking?" gift events which I've basically worked out with the other person involved because people grow up... sort of, eventually).

Best gift was a bottle of perfume, last year. I don't use perfumes, really, they often set of an allergic reaction for me, but I was able to try one out and really, really liked it. He made a special trip to a store he was quite uncomfortable in and got the right scent in the smaller, full sized bottle (very affordable, I'm picky about being wasteful with money).

Which reminds me, I need to find a sharp, pointy gift for him soon - he wants a certain game for Christmas and he'll be getting it, but that can't be all he gets from me!

Clothing from the grandparents =P
    it's not that the gift of clothing is bad...just as a kid disappointing lol
    And the grandparents always got me and my brother stuff like 2 sizes to small lol....meaning I got nothing and my brother got mine xD

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 02:26 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Purlina View Post
    I don't even care about presents anymore. If someone asks me what I want, I usually can't even decide...

Am I weird?

lol...this is me now.....my girlfriend get sooooo pissed at me too

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    i like your festive avatar!

but yes, there is plenty of bad free stuff :P
    If it's bad, then it's good to go to the garbage.

Omg. Just realised. No one gave me even one single christmas present in all my entire life.

A little disadvantage of not inventing jesus in time.

*Hands Fuzzie his Pink long johns.

Might have to get a Pink Santa Hat so they match.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    And what did you get her?
    I got her a car for my birthday of course.

Arguing for the sake of arguing, right?

When I was little, my sister and I would get these homemade crocheted sweaters and hats from our grandparents and they we thought they were hideous. Every year the same thing just a new design my grandmother made. We'd always have nasty faces when opening them. And then we would get in the car and joke about them. Then one year about the time we started highschool we just started getting money but all the other cousins kept getting the sweaters. After about 25 years old my sister had told me that our step dad had ratted us to our grandma and upset her so she just started giving us money. As an adult I looked back and felt so horrible not even thinking about being a snotty little kid and just being happy for what I got. Now I dont even care what people get me. Its not a big deal if I dont get anything or what I want Ill just go buy it myself with my hard earned moneys. Id rather a a drawing from my daughter than some fancy cookware or video game.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by turskanaattori View Post

Arguing for the sake of arguing, right?
    Sheesh, we have a sensitive one. Someone was arguing?