Thread: Hypocrisy.

Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Hypocrisy.

My toon (bloodpoop) has recently had a forced name change. My point is not that this name isn't against the terms. My point is that the terms are wrong. There are currently 12 quests in this game that require you to pick up poop, or even to poop yourself to complete them. I will list them for you.

Bravo Company Field Kit: Camouflage
    Befriending Giants
    Going, Going, Guano!
    Shizz Work
    A Rare Bean
    Funky Fungi
    Scare the Guano Out of Them!
    A Question of Gluttony
    Lupus Pupus
    Doing Your Duty
    Pooped
    Gourmet Kafa

To be clear I have no problem with these quests. I think they can be rather funny, but to say that my name is more potentially offensive is clearly an oversight. I have issued two tickets only to be answered with automated messages. I have submitted a survey. I have created 2 forums on battle.net only to have them both deleted despite the fact that I was extremely polite and have a completely valid argument.

Blizzard should either remove these quests from the game or reinstate my name.

10+ Year Old Account
    Your name may not be offensive to you, but it's clearly offensive to someone else, and that violates the naming rules against names that offend other people.

There is a big difference between a quest with the term guano and your name of "Bloodpoop"

And the quests names will not potentially offend somebody equally and in exactly the same context? What about the quest pooped? You don't suppose the exact same person offended by my name would be offended by a quest they might do everyday despite their personal disgust? Where as my character can simply be ignored if they are not fond of my entirely unoffensive name?

lol bloodpoop. That's hilarious. And which quests require the player to take a dump? I want to go do these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodpoop View Post
    And the quests names will not potentially offend somebody equally and in exactly the same context? What about the quest pooped? You don't suppose the exact same person offended by my name would be offended by a quest they might do everyday despite their personal disgust? Where as my character can simply be ignored if they are not fond of my entirely unoffensive name?
    Blizzard has more rights than player. You should realize this. NPCs can say "Bitch" but players can't. This isn't a democracy, Blizzard makes the rules.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 02:34 AM ----------

[/COLOR]
    Quote Originally Posted by phillipisawarlock View Post
    Blizzard has more rights than player. You should realize this. NPCs can say "Bitch" but players can't. This isn't a democracy, Blizzard makes the rules.
    Yeah I noticed that as they ignored me and deleted my posts without giving me any real response, despite the fact that my posts were completely valid and constructive.
    Last edited by Bloodpoop; 2012-12-06 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    In RPG games there's more strict naming polices, most of the reasons are valid for those restrictions.

Just remember to use conventional names in RPGs. Best place to find conventional names is a phone book. Best thing about it they aren't copyrightable, so can use them in other games, too.
    From the #1 Cata review on Amazon.com: "Blizzard's greatest misstep was blaming players instead of admitting their mistakes.
    They've convinced half of the population that the other half are unskilled whiners, causing a permanent rift in the community."

10+ Year Old Account
    You created a name that violates their polices.

Now, I personally see nothing wrong with your name. But it isn't hypocrisy. There is a difference between a little toilet humor and "Bloodpoop".

The next question is...why in the world would you even name yourself that? Why?

Deleted
    Without thinking rationally: I like their decision to change your name. It's just my personal opinion and with that I don't bother to question blizz and their rules :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram View Post
    Without thinking rationally: I like their decision to change your name. It's just my personal opinion and with that I don't bother to question blizz and their rules :P
    It's never good to blindly follow their edicts. If they said to someone named "Jonathan" that their name was inappropriate I'd sure raise hell.

There may be a dozen quests which have to do with poop, but as far as I'm aware there's no quests which have to do with bloody poop. I suppose if you wanted me to take a wild guess at what might be offensive about the name, it could share similarities with some illnesses/diseases.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Starfighter View Post
    lol bloodpoop. That's hilarious. And which quests require the player to take a dump? I want to go do these.
    There's a quest in Grizzly Hills where you pick up some amberseeds (whatever those are) and eat them, and the following quest requires to you go to an outhouse, make repeated grunting noises while inside (camera view is outside), and come out with "partially processed amberseeds".

Anyway I agree it's hypocritical but what can you do? Blizzard says no anatomical or bodily function names and they have 100% of discretion when it comes to enforcement. Realistically they can change your name for any reason regardless of what it is.

I normally don't encourage blind acceptance of authority, but since your participation in WoW is voluntary and there's nothing you can do to change their policy, I wouldn't stress over it if I were you.

But there is something you can do to change their policy. Policies can be affected by player imput, that's exactly what i am trying to do right now. And yes having 12 poop quests in the game and saying the word poop is a bannable offense is hypocrisy. But I thank all of you for your imput.

To be honest, I don't think those quests and your name are the same, even if they deal with the same "subject matter."

My initial reaction when I did those quests was amusement, or just kind of shrugged it off.
    My reaction when I read your name was disgust.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 03:11 AM ----------

But there is something you can do to change their policy. Policies can be affected by player imput, that's exactly what i am trying to do right now. And yes having 12 poop quests in the game and saying the word poop is a bannable offense is hypocrisy. But I thank all of you for your imput.
    did you get banned for saying the word poop?

To be clear I have no problem with these quests. I think they can be rather funny, but to say that my name is more potentially offensive is clearly an oversight. I have issued two tickets only to be answered with automated messages. I have submitted a survey. I have created 2 forums on battle.net only to have them both deleted despite the fact that I was extremely polite and have a completely valid argument.
    Your name IS "more potentially offensive." I'm slightly disgusted by it. I'm not disgusted by the quests.
    Last edited by jaykaywhy; 2012-12-06 at 03:17 AM.

"Blood-poop"? Stop pretending that they forced a namechange because of the singular word 'poop'. They changed it because it's an obvious childish insult towards people with prostate cancer and other diseases.. it's disgusting and frankly I have to wonder how sick-minded a person has to be to name themselves that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    "Blood-poop"? Stop pretending that they forced a namechange because of the singular word 'poop'. They changed it because it's an obvious childish insult towards people with prostate cancer and other diseases.. it's disgusting and frankly I have to wonder how sick-minded a person has to be to name themselves that.
    I didn't think of that, but that makes far more sense

I'd take the opportunity to come up with a better name and run with it. Just don't call yourself Snotpee or something.
    This concept of wuv confuses and infuriates us.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Actually I couldn't think of a name for about an hour so the "blood" is simply because I'm a blood elf and poop was just because I was at a complete loss. But the name has grown on me. This is basically the principle that blizzard feels that they can be very vulgar in-game but we can't even be mildly vulgar or childish without it being against terms.

Also bloodpoop can easily just refer to a person with a slight fiber deficiency. I am in no way making fun of people with prostate cancer lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actually I couldn't think of a name for about an hour so the "blood" is simply because I'm a blood elf and poop was just because I was at a complete loss. But the name has grown on me. This is basically the principle that blizzard feels that they can be very vulgar in-game but we can't even be mildly vulgar or childish without it being against terms.

Also bloodpoop can easily just refer to a person with a slight fiber deficiency. I am in no way making fun of people with prostate cancer lol.
    I'm really confused at how some bat guano quests equates to "very vulgar". There is elegance and humor in their quests (and they're optional). Your name isn't optional; everyone who sees you is forced to see it.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Im offended by offended people who take offense from being offended.
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"