Would I Be Fine?

I recently purchased a bundled deal from TigerDirect.

It's currently at home, I was waiting until I brought my graphics card and power supply from my computer at school home.

Specs:

Motherboard: ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS 760G Socket AM3+
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 945 3.0Ghz 6MB AM3
    Memory: Kingston 4GB 1600MHz 9-9-9 DDR3 HyperX Red (x2)
    Graphics: XFX AMD Radeon HD 6770 1 GB
    PSU: Corsair 600 watt
    Case: DIABLOTEK CPA-0280 ELITE 450W ATX MID TOWER
    Monitor: Acer 23"
    Keyboard: Razer Lycosa
    Mouse: Razer Naga

As I said, my graphics card and power supply are not currently with the computer. So I've never turned on the new stuff.

I was wondering if I'd be able to run Windows 8.

The reason I ask is because my current computer (HP Pavilion p6210y) won't boot after I install Windows 8. I've talked to some HP support people and stuff, but I gave up as I'm getting rid of this one soon.

My new hardware is all fine for it, right?

I also have a few questions as it's my first build.

Also when I go to turn it on, I read reviews for the motherboard, that I should update the BIOS before even installing an OS. How would I go about this, by using the disk that came with it?

Are there like CPU drivers I need to install or anything? The first thing I'll do after installing my OS will be installing my AMD drivers, and any others that pop up (saved on a USB, ready to go).

Another question is: would I be fine taking the CD/DVD drive from my old computer and just putting it in the new motherboard?

I also want to use two hard drives that I have from two different HP computers, anything special I need to set up? One would just be for storage.

I guess that's it for now... feel free to answer any or all of the questions, I know it's a lot, I just don't want to mess anything up.

EDIT: I do have everything so far put into the new case. The motherboard, CPU, old hard drive, and optical drive are all screwed in and just waiting for my power supply. I'm also going to install all the fans I can, the case supports like 5 or 6.
    Last edited by Towstie; 2012-12-06 at 06:15 AM.

There some default cpu chipset drivers being installed by Windows, so np.

Reason why you couldn't boot with your HP was just because of an olddated bios and possibly olddated oproms etc.

As far as I can see you'll be running W8 without any problems. Asus even updated & optimized everything for W8. Check below

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD...PLUS/#download

That's your motherboard I guess?

Yeah, I actually checked that after I made the post last night, I downloaded the update.

How would I update it with the .exe if I won't have an OS installed right away, or would I be able to at least boot it to run the update?

Yeah, HP website does list any HP computer before 11/2011 wasn't "tested" by them to run Windows 8.

Thanks, I'll try installing Windows 8 first, and if it doesn't work, I'll install Windows 7 and update/upgrade from there.

Just my last two questions: Another question is: would I be fine taking the CD/DVD drive from my old computer and just putting it in the new motherboard?

I also want to use two hard drives that I have from two different HP computers, anything special I need to set up? One would just be for storage.

Quote Originally Posted by Sphexy View Post
    Yeah, HP website does list any HP computer before 11/2011 wasn't "tested" by them to run Windows 8.

Thanks, I'll try installing Windows 8 first, and if it doesn't work, I'll install Windows 7 and update/upgrade from there.

Just my last two questions: Another question is: would I be fine taking the CD/DVD drive from my old computer and just putting it in the new motherboard?

Yeah 100%. It's pretty much "plug & play".. And no you really don't have to do something special with your harddrives.

If you want to do something special, just make sure windows is installed on the fastest hdd and the slowest for storage.

Alright. I was planning on buying myself an SSD as a Christmas present. Would it be wiser to install the OS on the SSD or just install my games on it (really only play WoW)? I was thinking like 128 gb.

Alright. I was planning on buying myself an SSD as a Christmas present. Would it be wiser to install the OS on the SSD or just install my games on it (really only play WoW)? I was thinking like 128 gb.
    I would install the OS on the SSD yes, it really transforms the PC. Everything is just so much less delayed, searching etc opening CPL's. Just only install your really main games which you're playing a lot like WoW. If you play once a month Crysis 2, keep it on the HDD because it's not really worth it to put this on an ssd

And I assume to just leave all my music, pictures, and videos on the HDD?

And what about programs I download and install.... Photoshop or Ventrilo or even something like Skype? Would it be preferred to leave it on the HDD?

And I assume to just leave all my music, pictures, and videos on the HDD?

And what about programs I download and install.... Photoshop or Ventrilo or even something like Skype? Would it be preferred to leave it on the HDD?
    Photoshop is around 1-3GB? Ventrilo is just 5MB so just keep it on the SSD lol and skype as well. Do it for photoshop as well if you like.

And yes you should leave your music, pictures, installation setups, on the hdd.

I have currently Photoshop, BF3 all 4 expansions & AC3 installed and still I have 22GB free space with a 128GB drive :>

Just to mind it, tune up utilities is just very useful to clean your disk. I can do it manually but I rather like to have such a program doing everything for me because of lazyness.

Haha yeah, I use CCleaner and Windows 7 Manager.

But alright thanks for helping