Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Quote Originally Posted by AiAtola View Post
    Nothing new, if you take wow has an example, the game is being going downhill since TBC.
    BC was regarded as casual compared to classic. Nothing new indeed.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

h
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    ...you seriously believe hardcore raiding is "mental stimulation"? o_O

Knowing when not to stand in fire, while hoping a bunch of other people also know when not to stand in fire, is what you find "good mental stimulation"?

Running around in pre-determined set patterns and repeating set patterns in perfect execution is "good mental stimulation" to you!? o_O

Dude... if you want good mental stimulation, go read a mystery novel or try painting a picture or composing a piece of music. You get all the mental stimulation challenge you want without ANY of the stresses/pressures/monotony of raiding. Proof positive that you don't need to slam a car-door on your head in order to have a fun mental challenge.
    Hardcore raiding is as far as it gets from mental stimulation since realistically speaking, even if you do everything right, the rest of the group can fail you. I'd say games like super meat boy, V6, many old classics( But not all of them ) along with some of the newer stuff like dark souls and Super hexagon are examples of difficulty done right. But when it comes to most newer shooters or rpgs or so, there's no risk of the player running into any challenge that will stop them from finishing the game aside from pure boredom, which is the case for most modern shooters.

Also some rather annoying and frustrating components are having too long of a restart gap from where you were last. Those can be alleviated with instaload f5/f6 though.

The only reason i see for the lack of challenges are the heavy-on dialog games, although these games can be fucking awful from time to time - for example, dragon age 2 or the first witcher.

But when it comes to that, i'd say that old text-based RPGs were pretty damn competent, if you want your dialog choices to make an impact, make a game based solely on dialog choices.

Honestly, World of Warcraft is not a game most people would want to be hardcore in, only a small handful, but that does not mean that there shouldnt be challenge - it should only be moderate, like wow has been doing on the normal and first few heroic bosses since wrath.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    BC was regarded as casual compared to classic. Nothing new indeed.
    This is very true... so many people forget that BC was the very expansion that coined the term "Wellfare epics".

40 mans going down to 10/25 man... reputation increases going from 10 rep per quest turnin to 250 rep per quest turnin. Kara itself being panned initially because of how small the raid sizes were, and then conversely praised later because after about 6+ months and its' attunements getting removed, it became the FIRST raid zone ever that could actually be successfully pugged.

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jaakkeli View Post
    I do indeed feel entitled to have fun when I'm gaming since, duh, I'm paying money for it. I'm not getting this stuff for free. I am trading the money I earned with hard work for some relaxing fun. If I wanted another job, I'd pick one where *I* get paid for doing the work, not where I get to pay for doing something that I don't enjoy.
    Here is the core of the problem I think.

No you are not entitled to enjoy a game just because you buy it. You enjoy a game because it is a game you enjoy. If you don't enjoy a game it's because you failed to see if you would like it before had or not.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by neccowafer View Post
    This whole article reeks of grasping for any possible reason why "those damn kids today" are "those damn kids today" while drawing correlations where there exist none.

That's mostly what this is. A few good points but nothing we're not highly aware of and isn't making sweeping generalizations of character.
    I have eaten all the popcorn, I left none for anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by slozon View Post
    Here is the core of the problem I think.

No you are not entitled to enjoy a game just because you buy it. You enjoy a game because it is a game you enjoy. If you don't enjoy a game it's because you failed to see if you would like it before had or not.
    ...and what you failed to see is that the complaints come from players who enjoyed the game (some for MANY years), but had the game changed from what they enjoyed into something they no longer enjoyed - and want it changed BACK to what they enjoyed previously - or adjusted in a new way to offset what they didn't like that was changed.

Nobody came to these forums and said "I just started playing WoW and I hate this game. It should play more like Medal of Honor... in first person perspective with crossbows and guns".

10+ Year Old Account
    ...and what you failed to see is that the complaints come from players who enjoyed the game (some for MANY years), but had the game changed from what they enjoyed into something they no longer enjoyed - and want it changed BACK to what they enjoyed previously - or adjusted in a new way to offset what they didn't like that was changed.

Nobody came to these forums and said "I just started playing WoW and I hate this game. It should play more like Medal of Honor... in first person perspective with crossbows and guns".
    Diablo 3? need I say more?

You don't like the current game stop your sub. Don't pay anymore.

You are still not entitled to like a game just because you paid for it. I could buy all the shit I want and still not like the smell.

I'm going to play some NES now.

You are still not entitled to like a game just because you paid for it. I could buy all the shit I want and still not like the smell.
    We're talking about entitlement in regards to Warcraft. What does Diablo III have to do with World of Warcraft?

EDIT: And I'm not sure what D3 has anything to do with it at all? Many both D2 fans and new players hated D3 equally. D2 fans hated it because it changed fundamentals from D2 (thousands of nitpick things I'm not familiar with as I didn't play D2), and new players to Diablo 3 didn't "get it" because it was an outdated 12-year-old endgame philosophy game built with today's graphics... the idea of "replaying the same game, but on multiple higher difficulties" died out in the SNES era of gaming. Today, MOST games (particularly ANY in the fantasy genre) have an "endgame". Diablo's old-school concept of repeating the same game on higher difficulties isn't "endgame content" by today's standards.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2012-12-06 at 07:37 PM.

...you seriously believe hardcore raiding is "pleasure/relaxation"? o_O

Knowing when not to stand in fire, while hoping a bunch of other people also know when not to stand in fire, is what you find "relaxing after a hard day's work"?

Running around in pre-determined set patterns and repeating set patterns in perfect execution is "pleasureable" to you!? o_O

Dude... if you want good relaxation, go read a mystery novel or try painting a picture or composing a piece of music. You get all the pleasure you want without ANY of the stresses/pressures/monotony of raiding. Proof positive that you don't need to slam a car-door on your head in order to have a fun mental challenge.
    I've made some changes to your post and put them in bold for easy recognition. Hopefully the point is obvious.
    <WHAR LEWTS PLZ HALp>
    I'm bitter by default. Don't take it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stir View Post
    Either give an argument, or be automatically wrong. Your choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can only sustain a civilization that gives everyone what they want for so long when you still have finite resources.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

10+ Year Old Account
    We're talking about entitlement in regards to Warcraft. What does Diablo III have to do with World of Warcraft?
    I could have sworn this was a general entitlement thread not just WoW?

Point still stand don't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Firecrest View Post
    I've made some changes to your post and put them in bold for easy recognition. Hopefully the point is obvious.
    Ummm... no. Mostly because I don't see how any of that is remotely relaxing or pleasurable... unless you're a masochist. The only "pleasurable" moment I could see is when you get a shiny piece of loot.

One could say you gain pleasure after you defeat the boss after a week of fighting it... but to me, that's not pleasure - that's just flat-out RELIEF... the same relief you get after slamming your head in a car door for a week and finally the car door breaks off its hinge... with you now knowing you won't have to hurt yourself anymore.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by SourceOfInfection View Post
    You can only sustain a civilization that gives everyone what they want for so long when you still have finite resources.
    part of the reason why many nations in the world have such heavy debt
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

I could have sworn this was a general entitlement thread not just WoW?

Point still stand don't it?
    No... your point doesn't still stand

This is a Entitlement Thread in a WORLD OF WARCRAFT general forum fan site, implying the context is towards WoW.

If this was about gaming in general, it would've been put in the Video Game forum section of this web site... not the primary WoW general forums.

Incidentally, you made your post while I was typing out my rather lengthy edit. Go back and re-read the edit for clarification about D3. :P

Deleted
    Every time somebody uses the word "Entitlement", a Republican gets hit with a pie...

...in the face...

...usually thrown by me. :P

- it's when they COMBINE a video game that one plays for general pleasure/relaxation after a hard day at work/school and treat the Warcraft society like they should be playing a video game at the same stress-level as their real-life jobs (ore real-life in general)... that's what frightens me.... >_<
    Yeah so many masochists

OT : the article was hilarious, especially when he mentioned Rift's talent system, soviet russia and his grandmother.
    Guess he's unable to adapt to the new world and blames it on others.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 09:28 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arnorei View Post
    To be honest, if anything sounds like a whiny b***h, it's the author of that article.
    Yeah, he's the very subject of his own article

10+ Year Old Account

No... your point doesn't still stand

This is a Entitlement Thread in a WORLD OF WARCRAFT general forum fan site, implying the context is towards WoW.

If this was about gaming in general, it would've been put in the Video Game forum section of this web site... not the primary WoW general forums.

Incidentally, you made your post while I was typing out my rather lengthy edit. Go back and re-read the edit for clarification about D3. :P
    My comment about diablo was only directed at the part where you said people don't buy and and start complaining right away. That shows they do that.

The rest of my comment still is about wow.

If you bought cata, you bought cata, not wow for the rest of your life. If you bought cata and didn't like it thats because you didn't look to see if you would like it or you don't know yourself good enough to say what you like. When the next expansion is released you need to decide if you still like the game. If you purchase it and don't like it you can only blame yourself.

Point still stands if you buy shit knowing it smells don't bitch about the smell

If you buy shit and don't know it smells you are the only one to blame.

Not going to read it but I hope it isn't inferring that people playing games are out looking for entitlements in the pejorative sense. After all, nobody got the game for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Synstir View Post
    I would have agreed with it if somebody was paying me a salary to participate in WOW.

But, that is not the case. Instead I pay to play it. I PLAY it... so it is something I do in my spare time, if I choose to. As it is a game, it should be entertaining (that being the main-purpose of a game in my opinion). Entertainment is subjective, so nobody but me can decide if something is entertaining for me or not. A company selling entertainment and wanting me as customer, will be interested in knowing what entertains me, so I will be providing some kind of feedback, in some way. If that game becomes something I don't find entertaining, I won't pay for it anymore; it is as simple as that.
    Yep and you can do that perfectly fine by answering a few questions when you cancel your account. There is really no need to spam threads on forums like some people do in the hopes something changes. There is big difference between not enjoying something and then stop paying for it and giving some feedback or spamming the forums like a 10 year old crying for toys.
    There is also nothing wrong with wanting to help to improve the game by giving GOOD feedback or to voice your opinion. It's only the way people do it that is completely wrong and looks like they are all infants.

So when changes are made to the game, which causes them to not be able to achieve anything valueable in-game, they will loose interest but will also get angry. They already have invested quite a lot and now suddnely, without them having any say in it, things change in a (for them) unacceptable way. This makes all investment of the past, a waste. So they will vent their anger.
    Also when the game-philosophy changes, this will happen.
    This is very understandable but from my experience of sitting on the official forums multiple times a day for a few weeks now this is really not the case in most situations. Most of the time it has nothing to do with the game changing. Most of the time it's that Blizzard give us something great and then people complain but are being very unreasonable. We get LFR, a great tool to experience content and gear up through. Some person does LFR for one week and gets no drops and makes a thread on the forum without any good arguments, it's just a big whine thread. This has absolutely nothing to do with wasted investments in the past and roughly 75% of the threads are like this.
    This has nothing to do with you being entitled because of your investments and having the right to vent. These are just people being extremely unreasonable. If you think this behaviour is right then good luck defending it. I will never ever in my whole life give something to someone when they act like that.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 11:36 AM ----------

And plenty come to the forum with useless unreasonable rants. "Hey *!@#!@# Blizzard. I used this stupid coin and didn't get anything." We should really support this behaviour by saying: "You are entitled to enjoy the game when you payed for it."

Ummm... no. Mostly because I don't see how any of that is remotely relaxing or pleasurable... unless you're a masochist. The only "pleasurable" moment I could see is when you get a shiny piece of loot.

One could say you gain pleasure after you defeat the boss after a week of fighting it... but to me, that's not pleasure - that's just flat-out RELIEF... the same relief you get after slamming your head in a car door for a week and finally the car door breaks off its hinge... with you now knowing you won't have to hurt yourself anymore.
    After a hard days work, I can easily look forward to an entire night of progress raiding, and I value my spare time very much. It's just obvious you don't play games for the entertainment in challenging yourself, and that means you're not even on the same page as some of us others. I for one can't fathom the idea of playing a game like you would read a book, ie just mindlessly taking in experiences rather than making your own experiences.