Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Animal Control officers go door to door seizing pitbulls.

I was so shocked earlier today when I saw this video and I just had to share it somewhere. I am appalled that this is considered acceptable.

SIKESTON, MO -- Animal control officers went house to house confiscating pitbulls and anything that resembled a pitbull. The family pets were taken to shelters and many risk immediate euthanasia. Owners were not given trials, court appearances, or any form of due process. They were not compensated for their stolen property. They were simply robbed of their cherished family members, many of whom will now be killed by the state.

Some of the victims mention how they tried to be law abiding citizens, and yet they were still punished. They complied with all the onerous Dog Control laws, such as dog registration, extra insurance mandates, putting up signs, and so on. Yet in the end, it was their compliance with Dog Control laws that ultimately led to the government coming to their doorstep to confiscate their property.
    How can this possibly be legal? Even if there were laws in place that prevented pet owners from having pitbulls, some of these dogs weren't even pitbulls at all and just resembled pitbulls. That seems insane to me, and I can't believe that things like this still take place in a country that prides itself on having so much freedom. What would you do in this situation?

I'd be delighted if my town didn't have pitbulls anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    I'd be delighted if my town didn't have pitbulls anymore.
    i could pull up numerous statistics about how pitbulls arent even in the top 3 of breeds responsible for attacks, or how hose numbers are skewed because people dont report when a small dog bites them, but you wouldnt care about either of them.

OT; i would LOVE for someone to try and take one of my dogs away, i love me some 2nd amendment.
    Quote Originally Posted by tkjnz
    If memory serves me right, a fox is a female wolf.

I can get banning people from buying new pitbulls, and enforcing sterilization of existing dogs or something, but going door-to-door and stealing then killing them? That's extreme; if somebody did that to my dog I'd punch them. Probably spend a few days in prison, but it'd be worth it.

Pitbulls aren't even more aggressive towards humans than other dogs are, they're just more aggressive towards other dogs... so they're killing dogs to keep dog fights down? What kind of ass-backwards logic is that?
    "Quack, quack, Mr. Bond."

Coworker has a pitbull and her 4 pitbull pups. Possibly the nicest dogs you'll ever meet....

Dogs are like kids, if you raise them to be assholes...they generally turn into assholes.

Quote Originally Posted by herpecin View Post
    i could pull up numerous statistics about how pitbulls arent even in the top 3 of breeds responsible for attacks, or how hose numbers are skewed because people dont report when a small dog bites them, but you wouldnt care about either of them.
    Attacks? Probably not. Deaths? They're number one, and by a wide distance.

OT; i would LOVE for someone to try and take one of my dogs away, i love me some 2nd amendment.
    Nothing like reinforcing stereotypes!

10+ Year Old Account
    Eugenics, dog style.
    Good old government replicating fake science from the 1930's.
    Its a fact that Pitbulls are not violent just because its there nature, they are violent from there upbringing and there experiences, just like any other living creature especially including humans.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    -snip-
    that crap was going on here a few years back but it was for all dogs that don't have all shots/tags and really wahtever reason they could come up with to try to take ur animal.

The hot subject was spay and nudering your pets.

I think it is wrong and they should not be able to seize anything.

If they come to my door and try to get my dogs they better have 2 things with them A search warnt and god because even if they got the warnt they still not coming in.

for about 10 years or so here "Kentucky" Animal Control was really abusing there power and the head person got fired and im happy to say things have changed a bit since then.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.
    My Gaming PC: MSI Trident 3 - i7-10700F - RTX 4060 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 1TB M.2SSD

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I was so shocked earlier today when I saw this video and I just had to share it somewhere. I am appalled that this is considered acceptable.

How can this possibly be legal? Even if there were laws in place that prevented pet owners from having pitbulls, some of these dogs weren't even pitbulls at all and just resembled pitbulls. That seems insane to me, and I can't believe that things like this still take place in a country that prides itself on having so much freedom. What would you do in this situation?
    I'm willing to bet you're only getting one side of the story here.

Please prove that pitbulls are the number one in deaths

Nothing like reinforcing sterotypes right.....

Its not the pet its the owner take care of your animals and don't treat them like shit and they won't bite you.

Any dog will do it dose matter.

"Also the reason that pitbulls are called that is because they was used to lure bulls into a pit to die when they where sick or something" just food for though.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 05:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Twotonsteak View Post
    I'm willing to bet you're only getting one side of the story here.
    Dough it tho its happen in a lot of places and not just to pitbulls.
    Check me out....Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing, Im └(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┘┌(-.-)┐└(-.-)┐ Dancing.

Actually a lot of deaths don't happen by pitbulls, they are rather reported as such. Pitbulls raised properly are very very good dogs. Keep in mind any dog raised properly is a great dog.

I remember I went through a list of EVERY killing done by a dog. Most of them were done by dogs reported as pitbulls. When I decided to go and search for the actual story for more details, often times they were done by dogs similar to, but not, pitbulls. Some were even great danes, and there were a few cases of pinchers being classed as pits.

Out of the killings done, most were the fault of the owner, such as leaving their child with the dogs alone, and this was for all breeds.

The number 1 cause of death by dogs is a bad owner, not a bad dog.

I've been raised around everything from mutts , to Boxers, to Pitbulls, to Basset Hounds, Standard Poodles, and even one wolf-lab mix. Of all the dog's I've seen there was only ONE that was mean by nature. It was a Shepherd-mix and the vet said something in his breeding produced a chemical imbalance.

It's my experience that mean dogs are the result of mean and/or abusive owners.

This.

I am not currently a dog owner (the dogs that I grew up with sadly passed away in the last 2 years at the ages of 13 and 14), but when I was I would have defended them the same way I would defend any other member of my family.

Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    Actually a lot of deaths don't happen by pitbulls, they are rather reported as such. Pitbulls raised properly are very very good dogs. Keep in mind any dog raised properly is a great dog.

I remember I went through a list of EVERY killing done by a dog. Most of them were done by dogs reported as pitbulls. When I decided to go and search for the actual story for more details, often times they were done by dogs similar to, but not, pitbulls. Some were even great danes, and there were a few cases of pinchers being classed as pits.

Out of the killings done, most were the fault of the owner, such as leaving their child with the dogs alone, and this was for all breeds.

The number 1 cause of death by dogs is a bad owner, not a bad dog.
    Couldn't agree more its always the owner not the dog plane and simple.

To many owners out there miss treating there dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Please prove that pitbulls are the number one in deaths
    Here's a CDC study.

Nothing like reinforcing sterotypes right.....

Its not the pet its the owner take care of your animals and don't treat them like shit and they won't bite you.
    Indeed, and someone saying they'll shoot anyone that tries to take their dog away reinforces the stereotype that pit owners are violent.

Couldn't agree more its always the owner not the dog plane and simple.

To many owners out there miss treating there dog.
    Most of the deaths were children by the way. Left alone with the dogs, some were children who were left alone with multiple dogs.

I also remember a few cases were a rottweiler was counted as a pitt bull, which it is clearly not!

Quote Originally Posted by Vuljatar View Post
    (the dogs that I grew up with sadly passed away in the last 2 years at the ages of 13 and 14), but when I was I would have defended them the same way I would defend any other member of my family.
    Sorry to hear that mine of if i remember right 13 years passed away last year due to cancer and about a year before that my 11-13 year old cat. The animals i got with me now are the last ill have.

I have grew up with many dogs of many types and only one dog has bit me in my life time and it wasn't even ours it was our nabors chow. He attacked me 2 times total the 2nd time he bit me.

---------- Post added 2012-12-08 at 05:41 AM ----------

Most of the deaths were children by the way. Left alone with the dogs, some were children who were left alone with multiple dogs.

I also remember a few cases were a rottweiler was counted as a pitt bull, which it is clearly not!
    Many dogs have been called a pitbull just because of there look hell i have heard domations "can't spell that word to save my life LOL" being called pitbulls

Actually a lot of deaths don't happen by pitbulls, they are rather reported as such.
    That's the assertion that I've heard quite a few times. There's a pretty broad range of data indicating otherwise though.

Really, in the end, people are quite emotionally invested in something that I think is a very weird idea, which is that all breeds are basically the same. Anyone that's spent much time around dogs, or knows much of anything about their origins, knows that this just isn't the case. Breeds don't exist because of natural selection, they were bred for specific purposes, and some are quite aggressive. Pitbulls surely aren't the only example, but they're one of the big ones.

Get some up to date info please thats all from 2000. also 9 times out of 10 in pitbull attacks it is because someone left there 2-5 year old alone with the dog and they where pulling and all at it.

If i came to you and started slapping you in the face over and over you would hit me right...... same thing if something is pulling and slapping at a dog over and over.

Here's a CDC study.

Indeed, and someone saying they'll shoot anyone that tries to take their dog away reinforces the stereotype that pit owners are violent.
    How do they determine the breed? If they go off of what police reports say for instance, often other breeds are called pitts because people just kind of assume dog bite, pitt.

staffordshire for instance often get counted as pits, even though they aren't.

Also the fact of the matter is that dogs and cats are treated as family members. Like I said before on this forum, if a person attacked, or hit my cat, I would punch them in the face.
    Last edited by Themius; 2012-12-08 at 05:46 AM.