Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Arcane] Higher skill cap than MoP Fire.

I believe so, especially while playing with Rune of Power in Heroic Modes - cooldown management, positional awareness, encounter awareness, and planning a few steps ahead so you can be proactive instead of being proactive. I admit, I could play Fire in my sleep (pre-nerf) and it was boring. I now look forward to fights since I actually have to pay attention and your approach and strategic execution changes based on mechanics and RNG. I actually stay awake now. Due to the lower tolerance of mistakes that MoP Arcane provides, I am happy and enjoy raiding more than ever.

And to all the Arcane haters from Cata.. we are in a new era..

Seeing as fire really had nothing else than press few buttons in the right order at start and then just upkeep your bomb and use inferno blast and HS when they were there.. its really not hard..

10+ Year Old Account
    What do you mean Arcane hasters in Cata? Arcane was the most complex of the Mage specs in Cata as well with mana micromanagement, perfect burst/burn phases and mini-burn phases while using Blast as much as possible even outside of any burn phases but keeping at 90%+ mana.

Arcane being a complex spec stopped being a new thing in 4.1 when we got the buffs and became playable.

Wrath of the Lich King Arcane was just trolling 90% damage done by Blast in T10 25 HC gear.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post
    What do you mean Arcane hasters in Cata? Arcane was the most complex of the Mage specs in Cata as well with mana micromanagement, perfect burst/burn phases and mini-burn phases while using Blast as much as possible even outside of any burn phases but keeping at 90%+ mana.

Arcane being a complex spec stopped being a new thing in 4.1 when we got the buffs and became playable.

Wrath of the Lich King Arcane was just trolling 90% damage done by Blast in T10 25 HC gear.
    Yerr people mostly just forgot it, cause it became a joke with SoW and the massive ammount of mana we got in 4.3, I mean I was a gnome then.. and I just didnt go oom, ever.. Evocation became ready before my mana dropped to 35% most of the time.. But looking back at 4.1, The spec was fun to play, and if you did it right, your damage was massive and if you failed your damage was miserable

I'd argue that Arcane has a lower skill cap. In my first fight as Arcane since H Spine half a year ago I parsed #4 in ilvl 491 on H Stone Guard and I can assure you it wasn't due to optimal play since I've learned new things today on the forums. I barely knew the spec and that was enough knowledge to parse in a few other fights as well.

The reason I believe it has a low skill cap is that it simply requires you have your mana bar, an Arcane Charge counter, an indicator that you're in your Rune of Power, and a bomb tracker near each other in your interface. Go to 4 or 5 stacks, shoot missiles, Arcane Blasts, Missiles, Blasts, maybe do some Scorch weaving (wasn't doing this last night). Or, on fights like Blade Lord, AB/AB/AB/AB/AB/AB/AB/AB til he disappears or Tempests. I won't argue that fire was especially complicated but it required you to pay extremely close attention to create and then identify opportunities and it required you to take appropriate advantage of those opportunities. Much more dynamic and much less forgiving of mistakes.

Your saying that arcane is hard? If so I can't see anything hard in it. Just keep stacks up and high mana to me it's just as easy as it was before.

fires been a joke ever since mop hit.. the hardest part was learning and mastering the alter time pyro 4x macro.. after that it was pretty simple.

arcane has always been a much harder spec to play cause movement destroyed your dps way more than fire ever did.

I don't really like the lack of mobility arcane brings. You have to be perfect to be average.

Quote Originally Posted by Shangalar View Post

Again, you prove to have little to zero knowledge about your class.
    Arcane was easy later on wotlk, not ridiculous derp as cata, but easy. Now early wotlk...it require a little bit more of skill and understanding.

But if you (OP) think fire is easy: you prob don't really get the spec and is doing a simplified, not optimal rotation. Go learn a bit.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by azzgunther View Post
    I'd argue that Arcane has a lower skill cap. In my first fight as Arcane since H Spine half a year ago I parsed #4 in ilvl 491 on H Stone Guard and I can assure you it wasn't due to optimal play since I've learned new things today on the forums. I barely knew the spec and that was enough knowledge to parse in a few other fights as well.
    That's a strong parse and all but with so few people playing the spec its incredibly easy to rank on (with sub optimal gead and play I've managed to rank on every single fight I've done this week)

Also I would say Arcane currently has a lot of similar scenarios in which you can make the choice of managing procs and recognizing opportunities for vastly improver performance.

But ultimately you can boil any role in this game (out of the roughly 34 specs) down to uptimes, proc management, and filler priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post
    But if you (OP) think fire is easy: you prob don't really get the spec and is doing a simplified, not optimal rotation. Go learn a bit.
    Alternatively, it's just not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Magemaer View Post

What? Like ye, I dont get where you are coming from. The only times you had to watch anything was your ignite when you were abt to pop combustion so it werent too low due to no crits from your pyro chain, but even if you didnt it was mostly still more beneficial to just pop ur combustion rather than fish out a crit chain later when cd's were starting to drop out. And after that its just tunnel mode, you have your power auras showing if you get Heating up, and Hs a bit to the side, and act accordingly. Its so easy that I really dont get how you can even say a thing like that.. But hey thats just me I guess.

arcane is easy, fire is easy, frost is easy, mages are easy blah blah.... if you're a good player the spec wont matter cause you will adapt to it quickly

Arcane rotation is now AB, AM/Scorch, AB, AM/Scorch, AB, AM/Scorch repeating with Barrage only cast where stacks would fall off anyway. No mana management needed. Can't call that a high skillcap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alcapown View Post
    Arcane rotation is now AB, AM/Scorch, AB, AM/Scorch, AB, AM/Scorch repeating with Barrage only cast where stacks would fall off anyway. No mana management needed. Can't call that a high skillcap.
    Well that's disappointing. Arcane had so much prospect when I played it on the 5.0 ptr because it was so much more complex than it was before (in some ways) or compared to the other specs.

I had considered trying it again since the 5.1 changes but now I think I'll just stick to frost.
    MB: Asus Maximus V Extreme CPU: 3770k@4.5Ghz custom water loop GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 RAM: Corsair 4x4GB 1600Mhz 7-8-8-24
    SSD: Samsung 830 256GB PSU: Corsair AX850 CASE: Corsair 800D
    Armory

That's the wrongest thing I've ever seen.

Deleted
    Sigh, deja vu?
    Seems like we have this discussion every year.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14145691

I dont write much on this forum and the biggest reason is ppl flaming on eatchother or go into a rage post.
    Anyway, is another spec more difficult to play or does it require more skill or focus?

No

If it does you should find a class where you dont have so much trouble switching specs.

Off topic,
    I you find a spec boring there is no need to let everyone know.
    The only result you'll get is ppl responding mad.

I hope no mage ever uses this advice, christ.

once im at 6 stacks i should just keep mana between 85 and 99% with as many AB's and missles as possible right. i.e. AB then AM if it procs (assuming not full mana, cuz then i would AB one more) and a scorch if i've had 2 consecutive AB's with no missle proc to maintain mana

ive also gemmed/forged pure haste.......is this ok?

Quote Originally Posted by svin View Post
    Sigh, deja vu?
    Seems like we have this discussion every year.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post14145691

I dont write much on this forum and the biggest reason is ppl flaming on eatchother or go into a rage post.
    Anyway, is another spec more difficult to play or does it require more skill or focus?

No

If it does you should find a class where you dont have so much trouble switching specs.

Off topic,
    I you find a spec boring there is no need to let everyone know.
    The only result you'll get is ppl responding mad.
    Well first of all its not a secret that fire aside from times you use combustion is terribly boring spec.
    Secondly he didn't really say anything abt there being trouble of changing specs? What he said was he was now looking forward to the fights as arcane cause he had to actually thing abt his placements again and think before acting.

And finally if you really are saying that you dont need to focus more on stuff as an arcane mage in raid.. You might wanna check your facts