Poll: Who would you vote for for this year's Hesman Trophy Award?

15+ Year Old Account

[Poll] Who's your Heisman?

The three Heisman Trophy finalists for the 2012 BCS college football season have been announced. They are the following (complete with some basic stats and team W-L).

Collin Klein : QB - Kansas State

Team record : 11-1

Stats : 66.2% completion rate, 2,490 passing yards, 890 rushing yards, 37 total TDs (15 passing, 22 rushing)

The primary force leading Kansas State very close to a shot at the BCS championship, if not for a booming hiccup against Baylor.

Johnny Manziel : QB - Texas A&M

Team record : 10-2

Stats : 68.3% completion rate, 3,419 passing yards, 1,181 rushing yards, 43 total TDs (24 passing, 19 rushing)

In his first year in the SEC, he led the Aggies to one of the most booming upsets this year in college football versus undefeated #1 ranked Alabama.

Manti Te'o : LB - Notre Dame

Team record : 12-0

Stats : 101 total tackles, 1.5 sacks, 7 interceptions, 4 passes defensed

The leader of a defense ranked 1st in college football in points allowed (10.3), Te'o was a driving force in Notre Dame's major BCS victories. His best game came against their toughest opponent, then #6 Oklahoma, where he recorded 11 tackles, a sack, and an interception.

So, who do you feel would get your Heisman vote of these three finalists? Discuss!

Statistics provided by ESPN
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

10+ Year Old Account
    well, best team and best defense

and reverse bias against QBs always winning, Te'o has a shot

15+ Year Old Account
    Te'o. He is the leader of one of the best defenses in the country that is the only reason ND went undefeated and made it to the Championship game. Johnny Football had a great year. He wasn't great in the Florida loss, he was awful in the LSU loss, and frankly he wasn't that great after the first quarter in the Bama game. Klein isn't even in the discussion for me anymore.

The argument against Te'o is going to be that he wasn't even the best defensive player in the country. That was Clowney down at SCAR.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's hard to pick Te'o when I haven't seen him play. His stats don't really say much outside the seven interceptions, and that doesn't really seem that magnificent. Given that there hasn't been a defensive player win it that didn't return kicks, I don't see him winning it. Manziel's stats are better than Klein's in every way, and given all his records, I don't see it going anywhere else.

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    Manziel's stats are better than Klein's in every way
    Sorry, I usually don't like just posting pictures but saw this on another site.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Sorry, I usually don't like just posting pictures but saw this on another site.
    [IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8q3SxGCQAAMWBo.png:large[IMG]
    And even without those 500 yards, Manziel's stats blow Klein's out of the water.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Like I said in a different post if they give it to Johnny Manziel then they need to call it an offensive MVP award and quit calling it the best all around player because they always give it to the offensive player. Of course his stats are better then Tao's stats he doesn't have the ball every every snap but if you use that logic then no defensive player will ever win. I think it is just custom for people to vote for the best offensive player esp when Tao hasn't even had a bad game but Johnny Manziel has had bad games.

15+ Year Old Account
    Those stats are wildly misleading. By my calculations in games where TAMU was leading by 30+ points (not including the TD that put them past that 30 point margin) Manziel put up the following scores:
    vs SMU: 1 TD pass
    vs Arkansas: 1 TD rush
    vs Auburn: 1 TD rush
    vs Sam Houston: 1 TD pass (it was an 89 yard TD the defense completely blew)
    vs Missouri: 1 TD Rush
    vs SCAR St: 0 TDs

Those are all the games they led by 30+ points at some point in the game. So Manziel put up 2 passing TDs and 3 rushing TDs (I can not find that third passing TD the graphic claims unless they are including scores that put them across the 30+ threshold in which case re-title your damn chart). That is 5 total TDs good for 11.6% of his total TDs on the season, not the 20% claimed on the graphic. Hell even if you take their number and only use his passing TDs it is still only 12.5% of his season passing TDs. I won't argue the yards since that is way too much effort to look up. Even if you reduce take those yards away and the 5 garbage TDs, Manziel still ends up 700+ combined yards and 1 TD ahead, even greater if you remove Klein's garbage stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by skarsguard View Post
    Like I said in a different post if they give it to Johnny Manziel then they need to call it an offensive MVP award and quit calling it the best all around player because they always give it to the offensive player. Of course his stats are better then Tao's stats he doesn't have the ball every every snap but if you use that logic then no defensive player will ever win. I think it is just custom for people to vote for the best offensive player esp when Tao hasn't even had a bad game but Johnny Manziel has had bad games.
    I have to think they yearn for the opportunity to do something different, and that opportunity is being presented to them in such a way as it seldom is, a Senior defensive captain of the #1 defense of the #1 team, versus some icky freshman

at least that's how I imagine them seeing it, I can't imagine Klein getting it over Te'o when his season was nowhere near as remarkable

It has to be Manziel, his numbers are just out of this world... Regardless of being a freshman or not.