Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Parrin View Post
    Good call. Your sith sorcerer has the best sarcasm in the game (even better than the smuggler).
    I really liked the female sorc VA.

When she talked down to and humiliated people it made me feel... stuff.
    (Warframe) - Dragon & Typhoon-
    (Neverwinter) - Trickster Rogue & Guardian Fighter -

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Temporary Poster View Post
    No idea why you would choose swtor over wow. You will only find less features, clunky mechanics, extreme keybind bloat, and horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.

Oh crap, I just criticized swtor, which constitutes game bashing aka trolling. Inc infraction.
    yeh why would you have any idea of what other people want ? I WOULDN'T SO I DON'T SEE WHY YOU WOULD.

The good news is that since you had an account, you would already receive Preferred status, which is a nice thing!

Yes, Sorc/Shadow is the way to go if you liked your Death Knight. For Shadow, Kinetic Ward and Earth Shield are essentially the same mechanic... there are a ton of similarities.

---------- Post added 2012-12-06 at 12:19 PM ----------

Oh, btw, while playing empire, make sure you choose dark side options during conversations, like everyone else in the group, or you will be called gay and republic pussy. I'm not trolling, I'm serious, don't go against the flow.
    You can go away, go back to your FPs, and keep calling people names now. Hurry, before mommy gets home from work.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    If you are going to start swtor I would do the following:
    Make a f2p account
    Buy 5+ dollars worth of cartel coins (Your account will now be "Preferred" with 4 action bars)
    Make a character that can fill a healing or tanking role (You can do infinite flash points (instances) a week, but your rolls are limited on the last boss)
    Flash points, bonus quests, bonus series, and selling low level mats on the GTN (auction house) will make your life extremely easy.
    Choose Bio-analysis and Scavenging for leveling. Gather everything you see and sell stacks of them on the GTN.
    Your credit cap is 350k, you will probably hit around level 20 or 25 if you are diligent with your GTN sales.
    Use your extra credits to buy "unlocks" and "authorizations" such as "hide helm", "unify color", "equip epics", ect.
    Continue this pattern to 50 and you will most likely have a complete account with a few "pvp weeks" stored up.
    If there is an unlock that you want/need that isn't on the GTN, try trade chat.
    or just Sub? - depends if you can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethorien View Post
    or just Sub? - depends if you can afford it.
    Nah. Don't do that.

No idea why you would choose swtor over wow. You will only find less features, clunky mechanics, extreme keybind bloat, and horrible pvp balance rulled by jedi knights/sith warriors.

Oh crap, I just criticized swtor, which constitutes game bashing aka trolling. Inc infraction.
    Perhaps he doesn't like wow, perhaps he doesn't want to play in a fantasy game, perhaps he likes the star wars IP, perhaps he likes the graphics and animations better in swtor. There are numerous reasons why one person would like a certain game over another. He is not you, so don't pretend to speak for him.

10+ Year Old Account
    i am currently playing wow but my short time in swtor was epic. pvp/raiding is a blast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    Perhaps he doesn't like wow, perhaps he doesn't want to play in a fantasy game, perhaps he likes the star wars IP, perhaps he likes the graphics and animations better in swtor. There are numerous reasons why one person would like a certain game over another. He is not you, so don't pretend to speak for him.
    Yes, he is migrating from wow, and he obviously bought wow, because he doesn't like fantasy settings and just thought wow was a sci fi.

Reading is serious business.

Are you always this obtuse?

Money is not really an issue, but from what I have read F2P option seems like the more smart option especially for someone leveling. Is it not at 50^ that it is required?

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    Money is not really an issue, but from what I have read F2P option seems like the more smart option especially for someone leveling. Is it not at 50^ that it is required?
    Depends. For pvp you can get half a year of access for 40 dollars.
    But PVE operation passes only grant up to story mode.
    So if you raid, yeah, you have to subscribe.

Deleted
    You will level slower, pay more for stuff and have horrible caps for everything(Credits, Planet commendations, warzones, Flash points, space combat.) Have fun.

I think if you haven't played the game before then the Free to Play option is probably more than adequate. However, if you have had the experience of playing before the conversion then you aren't going to like it nearly as much.

Well I appreciate everyone's input, even the negative. I will be going with a Sith Sorcerer, thank you all!

Quote Originally Posted by hk-51 View Post
    My wife is agreeing with you right now.

"Rocket punch is the coolest move in the game. I don't care how many credits you save. The bounty hunter experience isn't complete without it" - My wife.
    As a guy with a 50 Merc and a 50 Powertech, I agree with your wife. The best move of the best class in the game.
    There were around 7,000 Greeks in total at the Battle of Thermopylae.
    Not just the Spartans and a few inept imbeciles to play clean up.
    Friends don't let friends listen to Zach Snyder/

I'm partial to Death from Above as the coolest ability in the game. But yeah, Bounty Hunters have some cool tricks.

Well I appreciate everyone's input, even the negative. I will be going with a Sith Sorcerer, thank you all!
    Since I know earlier in the thread you said you were interested in something more akin to DK tanking you should be looking at the Sith Inquisitor/Jedi Consular base class with Assassin/Shadow advanced class (unlocked after starter planet). Sorcerer is the other Inquisitor AC focused on healing/ranged DPS. If you're looking for a tank/melee then just make sure you pick Assassin/Shadow when you get the option.

I'm pretty new to the game, started all repub side about a month and a half ago. Personal taste thus far is the Jedi Consular side. I currently have a 46 Jedi Shadow and a 41 sage.

Personally, based on what you said, I think you'd like the Sith Inquisitor Assassin side. It will give you the tanking option, but you'd also have the capability of stealth, the ever too-cool double-bladed lightsaber, and decently fast refresh on knockback ability as opposed the sentinal side.

The sage side, in terms of healing reminds me a lot of a disc priest in WotLK, which I actually thought was pretty fun. The sith side might actually be cooler because of the lightning as opposed to rocks. Currently I started a sorceror to get my HK51 and it seems like the story might be pretty cool, though the starting planet story was actually kinda lame, though near the end it got a lot better.

As far as leveling whichever you way you choose. Listen to Hk-51 here, he knows what he's talking about in terms of f2p model. His advice is spot on. The only possible extra advice I could give would be maybe, just grab slicing as a profession. It's basically a pure credit profession. You gather boxes and computers that just have credit in them. Though in terms of comparison sake between a true gathering profession and slicing, I don't technically know which will make you more creds.

The difference between the 2, IMO, would be if you are, as HK said, diligent with the GTN, you can easily make money selling stuff. If you are not, slicing would be a better way to go. 2nd thought here, and it bears weight, if you go f2p, you will have a 350k cred cap, thus in that respect, having a true gathering profession where you can keep have back up stock of parts/gems/etc... in your cargo bay slots that you can sell on a whim, might actually be a better way to keep cash readily available.
    Last edited by anyaka21; 2012-12-06 at 10:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by anyaka21 View Post
    I'm pretty new to the game, started all repub side about a month and a half ago. Personal taste thus far is the Jedi Consular side. I currently have a 46 Jedi Shadow and a 41 sage.

Personally, based on what you said, I think you'd like the Sith Inquisitor Assassin side. It will give you the tanking option, but you'd also have the capability of stealth, the ever too-cool double-bladed lightsaber, and decently fast refresh on knockback ability as opposed the sentinal side.

The sage side, in terms of healing reminds me a lot of a disc priest in WotLK, which I actually thought was pretty fun. The sith side might actually be cooler because of the lightning as opposed to rocks. Currently I started a sorceror to get my HK51 and it seems like the story might be pretty cool, though the starting planet story was actually kinda lame, though near the end it got a lot better.

As far as leveling whichever you way you choose. Listen to Hk-51 here, he knows what he's talking about in terms of f2p model. His advice is spot on. The only possible extra advice I could give would be maybe, just grab slicing as a profession. It's basically a pure credit profession. You gather boxes and computers that just have credit in them. Though in terms of comparison sake between a true gathering profession and slicing, I don't technically know which will make you more creds.

The difference between the 2, IMO, would be if you are, as HK said, diligent with the GTN, you can easily make money selling stuff. If you are not, slicing would be a better way to go. 2nd thought here, and it bears weight, if you go f2p, you will have a 350k cred cap, thus in that respect, having a true gathering profession where you can keep have back up stock of parts/gems/etc... in your cargo bay slots that you can sell on a whim, might actually be a better way to keep cash readily available.
    At what level can I get professions?

you can them as soon as you reach your side fleet. So whatever level you finish the initial questline on your toons starting planet. For some it might be only 8-10. For others it might be 12 or 13 depending on how long it takes you, if you use rested xp, xp boosts, side quests, bonus questing, etc...