Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cattaclysmic View Post
    With babies ofc.
    lol I figured. I don't know why, but I just pictured packs of empty baby carriages parked all over the country.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Regennis View Post
    Technically, the US was selling supplies to both sides.
    A lot of people seem to forget that part.

Deleted
    America is interested in Europe because it would be stupid not to be.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiffums View Post
    Well after having to save the collective asses over there, we like to have a heads up to know when we might have to do it again.
    no need..... unless the US Military is utterly stupid..... USA still maintains 74.000 troops in Germany today...... 67 years after the war was over..
    That's 50% of the size of the German Army on duty.
    I mention it, because it's a key reason why Europeans love to see Americans, from behind....
    American civilians = very welcome.
    American soldiers = gtfo
    that's the common perception in Europe, and Germany in particular.

You might also want to look at the expenses and the countries debt in relation to the luxury of maintaining such unnecessary army numbers abroad.
    74K is the number still now... And that after the size was dramatically downgraded when Germany officially reunited.
    According to the Pentagon, as stated on the Pentagon Website, the maintenance of an American Soldier abroad costs between 800k and 1.4 mio per day.
    That accounts the weaponry and logistics involved with deployment. Since they are in a peace situation in Germany, and their main job is to decimate the beer count in the German bars, it's save to use the lower number.... And now start the math 67 years and counting

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildtree View Post
    no need..... unless the US Military is utterly stupid..... USA still maintains 74.000 troops in Germany today...... 67 years after the war was over..
    That's 50% of the size of the German Army on duty.
    I mention it, because it's a key reason why Europeans love to see Americans, from behind....
    American civilians = very welcome.
    American soldiers = gtfo
    that's the common perception in Europe, and Germany in particular.

You might also want to look at the expenses and the countries debt in relation to the luxury of maintaining such unnecessary army numbers abroad.
    74K is the number still now... And that after the size was dramatically downgraded when Germany officially reunited.
    According to the Pentagon, as stated on the Pentagon Website, the maintenance of an American Soldier abroad costs between 800k and 1.4 mio per day.
    That accounts the weaponry and logistics involved with deployment. Since they are in a peace situation in Germany, and their main job is to decimate the beer count in the German bars, it's save to use the lower number.... And now start the math 67 years and counting
    It's probably a fair boon to the German economy, honestly.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Again you cocky arrogant people make me think less of America every post at a time, just be quiet.
    I understood a Scotsman!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Again you cocky arrogant people make me think less of America every post, just be quiet.
    Why do you do this? When I hear a European being stupid or arrogant, it doesn't make me think less of Europe. It makes me think less of that person.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    Why do you do this? When I hear a European being stupid or arrogant, it doesn't make me think less of Europe. It makes me think less of that person.
    That's is the correct way to think.
    Unfortunately most don't

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    So you sent over material, dont claim you saved the world because you did not. There were a few American volunteers, but still, not many yanks were flying spitfires over the south of England hunting Nazi's. If England fell, really think the USA could have taken out Germany solo?
    England very well defended itself. The Luftwaffe was superior by technology, but the RAF was just better trained, and gave Hitler literally a run for his money.
    The Luftwaffe lost the Battle of Britain. Well, not quite lost. But the invasion failed, the Luftwaffe retreated the mission was abandoned.

Europe, fuck yeah.

I think the government care about the eu

The people? they generally cant find it on the map from what i have read in news articles, even on these forums Americans refer to Europe as a country.

Which part of Europe are we talking about here?

10+ Year Old Account
    It's probably a fair boon to the German economy, honestly.
    Probably, not as much as you may think tho

Cars..... Americans drive cars somewhat cut lose from the German law. They use their Drivers Licenses. The cars aren't subject to German tax codes. They use their own gas from the military bases. Daily living... Americans go shopping at the commissary, duty free.
    The money spilling into Germany's economy is from things like restaurants outside the bases, and cultural events, and the like.
    After all, the USA would be much better off at home, if those troops weren't maintained to that extent.
    I mean, Germany is just one country of many where US bases are maintained, rather less than more necessary.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 11:32 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bearshield View Post
    Which part of Europe are we talking about here?
    Good Question....... I assume it's the common reference, Western Europe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender View Post
    Funny, I've always had the impression that most Americans doesn't give a shit about Europe, almost to the point that they can't find it on the world map.
    That's just called ignorance. I don't have any personal interest in most African countries yet I can point them out on a map.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the right way, as said... yes...
    I understand however if someone gets tired of it, and starts giving up, when the content repeats on and on. one can still think it's an individual problem, yet the amount of individuals like that are shockingly high.

But it applies to both sides... I know Germans who have a mindset and intellectual world view that makes me hesitate to let them near a brick, in fear of the brick losing it's more useful purpose than they have in life.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's the right way, as said... yes...
    I understand however if someone gets tired of it, and starts giving up, when the content repeats on and on. one can still think it's an individual problem, yet the amount of individuals like that are shockingly high.

But it applies to both sides... I know Germans who have a mindset and intellectual world view that makes me hesitate to let them near a brick, in fear of the brick losing it's more useful purpose than they have in life.
    I think that's true of everywhere though. I think Europeans see it more in Americans because of confirmation bias, while they forget about all the relatively worldly and erudite Americans on these boards. A similar thing happens with Americans having confirmation bias towards the arrogance of Europeans.

Deleted
    If it cheers you up, you've bettered my perception of Texans. :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    If it cheers you up, you've bettered my perception of Texans. :P
    Thanks.

England very well defended itself. The Luftwaffe was superior by technology, but the RAF was just better trained, and gave Hitler literally a run for his money.
    The Luftwaffe lost the Battle of Britain. Well, not quite lost. But the invasion failed, the Luftwaffe retreated the mission was abandoned.
    yeah i saw a documentary on danish television and according to that the soldiers and volunteers had the AA-guns up and firing relatively fast after the air-sirens sounded ( don't kill me if that is grammaticly wrong ). So while they may not have been ready they sure as hell didn't just cower in a corner while the luftwaffe pelted the country with bombs, the documentary focused largely on London though which i assume was the main target for the air-raids.

I personally do not care about Europe. At. All.

10+ Year Old Account
    Because Europe is an interesting place.

Plus, more countries in the surrounding area means more conflict and news interest. We here in the U.S have Mexico and Canada. The only really big stories coming out of EITHER country are the drug cartels and illegal immigration in Mexico.
    PEPE SILVA, PEPE SILVA