Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by infernouk View Post
    i went ahead and bought the game guys. im playing a thief, though I have no idea about how builds and gear work yet.

Whats the quickest route to some cool looking gear? I hate looking default. Also, best spec for a noob thief?

Cheers!
    for a theif the majority option is stack power and crit and go glass cannon. Anything that does more damage pick it up. And use stealth abilitys for quick escapes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zito View Post
    for a theif the majority option is stack power and crit and go glass cannon. Anything that does more damage pick it up. And use stealth abilitys for quick escapes.
    thanks, anyone have any recommended places i can find a solid proven build?

thanks, anyone have any recommended places i can find a solid proven build?
    I play a Thief myself, and I could help you out a little at least. But you should start by trying out the different type of weapons and abilities you have. Use the Heart of the Mists as a playground (the mobs there work like advanced training dummies).

Some pieces of advice: Usually I recommend going full out in the precision traits. Why? Because the thief is very reliant on crit and crit damage with many builds. At least if your main goal is to deal damage and not stay alive eternally. At the very end of that tree you get two static damage boosts which works nicely. One gives a basic 10% damage boost while maintaining a given amount of initiative (resource). The other gives you a 20% damage burst when your target hits 50% of its health and until it is dead.

From there on out it depends on what abilities and weapons you pick, but I can explain the theory behind my own build which relies on Steal as a mechanic and the traits which gives my character extra utility through this ability. Whenever I activate Steal I give people around me a +20% crit boon, along with some attack power and a movement buff for twenty seconds. Add to the fact that I have specced into another tree which gives me extra initiative (helps the burst output without losing the +10% damage ouput from the Precision tree) and also reduced the cooldown on my Steal ability. I have also picked up a trait that allows me to do fairly decent damage when I use Steal on someone, which makes it a key-ability in my build.

To further advance my burst damage I rely on a skill called Haste which gives me 4 seconds of quickness. Quickness basically doubles your damage. I have also picked up the traits that reduce the cooldown on this skill.

The pros with this build is that it has some great support utility and heavy burst output, as well decent damage output on a whole. Another advantage is the fact that it works well with most weapons. Especially dual guns, harpoons, daggers, sword+pistol and so on. It really shows you how powerful Steal is as an ability, as the Steal ability also gives situational tools such as a "death coil", heal, stealth, or a "whirlwind" attack. Steal is also a gap closer for our "class", hence it becomes almost bread and butter for you with this build.

Now, this build is based on my playstyle as I often change weapons and like to control my burst while still being able to move around quick and aid others with boons, etc. You should play around with the traits and weapons and find something which suits you well.

Here's a link to it.
    Last edited by Atelniar; 2012-12-10 at 12:13 AM.
    There is common sense and ignorance. Choose one and accept the consequences.

Deleted
    hey guys, couple questions after a day of playing.

Is there a central EU spvp server like stormscale is on wow? the people i see seem to all be pretty default in their gear so wondered if theres a server for the hardcore?

Also with forging items, is the best way to do it to save and buy gold chests for whatever tier i can get (1 at the moment obviously) salvage what isnt cool and then when i randomly get 4 different things run them through the forge?

I hate looking default so want to get into new gear asap. I assume most cool stuff I cant have until im max tier?

10+ Year Old Account
    hey guys, couple questions after a day of playing.

Is there a central EU spvp server like stormscale is on wow? the people i see seem to all be pretty default in their gear so wondered if theres a server for the hardcore?

Also with forging items, is the best way to do it to save and buy gold chests for whatever tier i can get (1 at the moment obviously) salvage what isnt cool and then when i randomly get 4 different things run them through the forge?

I hate looking default so want to get into new gear asap. I assume most cool stuff I cant have until im max tier?
    1. not sure about a central EU server as GW2 sPvP is region wide regardless of what server you enter from, you are playing with everyone in EU. but i would find out what server Team Paradigm, eStars and those other kind of teams are on then go from there.

2. if you want the top tier bags then get gold chests. i usually just get the gold chests for the bags i need then after that i buy silver chests. you have a lower chance of getting rare items but you can basically get 2 silver chests for one gold so that's how i roll. the best way to make better looking gear is to salvage items and then use the recipes to craft what you want.

you can start learning more about the sPvP Mystic Forge here: http://epicguildwars2.com/forum/post...ge-pvp-recipes
    "Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless anything changed in 4 months time, those guys are on Desolation.

Deleted
    ok thanks guys, i think desolation is full?

Ive used the forge to make a pretty cool dagger, so i get even more awesome looking stuff when i get up to the higher level brackets? I see people with awesome gear but assume they are top ranked?

10+ Year Old Account
    ok thanks guys, i think desolation is full?

Ive used the forge to make a pretty cool dagger, so i get even more awesome looking stuff when i get up to the higher level brackets? I see people with awesome gear but assume they are top ranked?
    that's pretty much how it goes.
    i went from this:

to this:

"Cherish the quiet...before my STORM!"

For a $5/5000 in-game credit bonus for backing
    Star Citizen (MMO) or Squadron 42 (Single Player/Co-op) use my Referral code: STAR-3QDY-SZBG
    Star Citizen Video Playlist

Quote Originally Posted by LolretKJ View Post
    If you ever played Warhammer Online, it's very close to the PvP from that game.
    I actually disagree with this... excluding the whole level-boosting thing GW2 does, there's also the gear normalization. What it essentially means is that while Warhammer allows gear to play a role in the fighting, GW2 is solely about strategy (and builds, but I'd rank those as strategy).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you live in Oceania (Aus/NZ) then PvP is mostly a joke. It's alright to have fun and even rank up a bit, but always remember to bow to your low-latency US overlords because dodging and anything else reflex-based will have no effect most of the time, not unless you can see into the future
    Paying for tunneling services can help, but not by much (and then GW2 wouldn't exactly be free would it :P).
    I learned this quickly so I stick to PvE, but even there the delay is uber-punishing on the more difficult fights.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-13 at 04:35 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Deleted
    Hello,

I am considering to buy Guild Wars 2. There's only one thing I would like to know.
    I think one of the most important parts to me of an MMORPG is the PvP system. Before I am going to read dozens of pages and hours of videos with PvP info, I would like to ask my question here.
    What I like so much about een MMORPG is that you can level your character, collect gear and weapons and progress through the game. Then, whenever you want, you can join pvp battles and fight against other players and just hope you got some good gear and weapons. If you don't, you lose and you can continue to improve and improve.

So I would like to know if this is possible in GW2 or does this game only has the maxed out PvP mode with everyone maxed to level 80, all the skills and gear unlocked etc.?
    That would be a major drawback in my experience. What I am hoping for is some kind of "pool" with equal leveled players. So you still play your own character with your current level, gear, weapons and skills and you play against other equal leveled players in a pool. Just like the match making system in WoW's battlegrounds.

Forgive me if I completely missunderstood the PvP system, but I hope someone can tell me if what I wish for is possible or not.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by mmoc6d73d04b43; 2012-12-13 at 08:25 PM.

Scryden,

In WvW you can do those things that you want. In Structured pvp, it is what you don't want. So you have both systems.

What there isn't here is a battlegrounds system like WoW/Rift/Swtor has where you can level up in pvp instances.

10+ Year Old Account
    In SPvP (structured PvP) everyone is max level with a standard set of PvP gear. It's pretty much the same as WoW Arena if you think about it, because in WoW at the beginning of every season you have to honor grind for 30-50+ hours to obtain the "standard" set of PvP gear that everyone else has before you can start competing in rated PvP.
    In GW2 there is no PvP gear grind, you are automatically dressed in the standard PvP set from the get-go. You cannot equip anything else other than the gear given to you or the gear sold by the PvP vendors. It's something WoW should've done LONG ago to avoid the fucking insane balance issues caused by PvE gear in PvP (see: trinkets, legendaries, etc).

You can also endlessly customize your gear/gems for free and keep respeccing for free (in WoW you must purchase/cut gems and pay for respecs). However all these items and respecs are confined to the SPvP area, when you leave all of it is hidden from you and you are restored to your original level with your original gear/talents/inventory. The next time you go back to the SPvP area, all your PvP stuff, inventory and spec will re-appear again.
    It's just like an official WoW arena tournament - everyone is given an equal chance, premade stuff with endless supplies/gear/gems, etc. The rest is all skill (and gear/talent setup obviously). You are encouraged to try out everything at no cost and find what works for you.

And then there's WPvP (World PvP), about which I know nothing and someone else will have to answer that. My best stab at an answer is that you're still made max level, but now you keep your own gear intact and it is "upscaled" to level 80-ish estimates...the better your gear, the better it scales, the better your performance...I think you can literally smash people if you have awesome gear. Maybe that's your thing. I could be totally wrong.
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2012-12-13 at 08:38 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    And then there's WPvP (World PvP), about which I know nothing and someone else will have to answer that. My best stab at an answer is that you're still made max level, but now you keep your own gear intact and it is "upscaled" to level 80-ish estimates...the better your gear, the better it scales, the better your performance...I think you can literally smash people if you have awesome gear. Maybe that's your thing. I could be totally wrong.
    Thanks. That's totally my thing. My biggest motivation in an RPG is to craft/achieve awesome gear which other people do not have and give you a big advantage in PvP.

Deleted
    Well, I bought the game today. Looks all neat and stuff except for the performance which is horrible on my machine. I have a 6 year old pc so I decided to install it on my, in 2010 high-end, laptop.
    I have a constant fps between 20-30 in open areas and sometimes it drops even below 20... I searched the internet and found alot of other people with performance issues on high-end systems.

My laptop specs:

Core i7 1.6Ghz up to 3.0Ghz turboboost (really...)
    ATi mobility Radeon 5850 with 1GB memory
    4GB RAM

I am able to run Black Ops 2 on medium with an acceptable FPS of 30 - 35. I think GW2 should be a less graphical burden on my system.
    Does anyone know a solution for this?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know why you think GW2 should be less stressful than BL2 on your system. BL2's engine is far, far older than GW2...not to mention it's not an MMO, it's a first person shooter, how can you even compare lol?

The solution is to upgrade I'm afraid. GW2 is is easily one of the best-looking MMO's today. The people who have issues on high-end systems need to get their drivers sorted.

Deleted
    Got my drivers already updated to the latest version
    The minimum requirements tell me the game needs an X1800 Radeon minimal. I know this is a minimum to even get the game running.
    I know my Radeon card is a Mobility version but it's still alot newer than an X1800. When I bought this laptop in 2010, this 5850 card was the most high-end Radeon card currently on the market so it's kinda awkward imo that I can hardly reach 30 fps with all settings on Low...

Certain computer configurations seem to have problems with the game, even if at first it would seem that your hardware would be able to run the game like a champ. Have you tried posting on the official forums? There is a tech support sub forum there. They might be able to help.

Deleted
    Their winter spvp minigame with snowball fight is really fun, too bad it's not part of the actual pvp... people want more game modes. Also the pvp community is afraid underwater combat will be added to competitive pvp

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Scryden View Post
    Well, I bought the game today. Looks all neat and stuff except for the performance which is horrible on my machine. I have a 6 year old pc so I decided to install it on my, in 2010 high-end, laptop.
    I have a constant fps between 20-30 in open areas and sometimes it drops even below 20... I searched the internet and found alot of other people with performance issues on high-end systems.

My laptop specs:

Core i7 1.6Ghz up to 3.0Ghz turboboost (really...)
    ATi mobility Radeon 5850 with 1GB memory
    4GB RAM

I am able to run Black Ops 2 on medium with an acceptable FPS of 30 - 35. I think GW2 should be a less graphical burden on my system.
    Does anyone know a solution for this?
    I play GW2 with high settings on a I7 2600, Radeon 6850, 10g ram and it runs smooth. Even with a bunch of players on the screen at once.

On the topic of this thread....I like how they do PVP in GW2, which is basically instanced, so I donot have to mess with it or worry about flagging, etc. So PVP in GW2 is great from my perspective.