Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

[Finland] Happy Independence day to us all!

95 years of well deserved freedom and still counting. Long live Finland! :]

PS. Also still in debt to all those men (including my late grandfather) who fought to defend this great land of thousands of lakes so that we could live independently and be a proud small nation on our own. RIP veterans.

For a northern country, your ancestors sure picked a rotten time of year to get into a war.

Jokes aside, Happy Independence Day Is there something traditional you guys do to celebrate, like the way we go nuts with fireworks displays in the US?
    Last edited by Liagala; 2012-12-06 at 08:14 PM.

Deleted
    Happy birthday, brothers of the east! I also wish to pay my debts to your Finnish veterans for not only defending Finland, but also for protecting the rest of the Nordic countries from the Soviets by showing them that Finland is not to be triffled with.

Here's to another century of prosperity for Finland and another century of continued friendship between our two countries.

Deleted
    Not really related, but when I think of Finland, I remember this guy: Simo Häyhä

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    Let's build a giant sauna and play hockey in it >:3
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Good us wee
    Ban-Hammer
    Binds when picked up
    Two-Hand* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Mace
    1336-1337* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Speed 1.337
    (133.7 damage per second)
    +100 Owning Noobs
    Chance on hit: Bans a Noob/Troll.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    Also not to forget the consuming of lots and lots of alcohol while doing those 8)

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 12:33 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Liagala View Post
    For a northern country, your ancestors sure picked a rotten time of year to get into a war.

Jokes aside, Happy Independence Day Is there something traditional you guys do to celebrate, like the way we go nuts with fireworks displays in the US?

The time of the year actually kinda played a part in the course of the war because the russian army was not that well prepared. The "red army" thought it would be a quick war and that they would just crush us and get back home for dinner..kinda. Instead they lost many men just due to the fact that the soldiers didn't have equipment against the cold. So many died in the snowy woods and freezed to death when surrounded by small Finnish patrols skiing around to make the enemy think there were more. So they would either make a run and got shot or froze to death..

As for the traditions our president is atm having a great "ball", or whatever it is, in the presidential palace where many of the leading ppl from the government and business side, actor, writers etc are participating in the celebration. I think there is also some fireworks and it's all shown in TV and the whole nation watches it and laughs at the horrible looking dresses some women wear and so on =) My personal "tradition" is to watch the movie called Tuntematon Sotilas (the Unknown Soldier) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuntema...281955_film%29 B&W film that tells the story about 1 of the wars between us and the Russians. It really makes me feel sentimental every time and I wasn't even in the war.. Especially the part where the torn landscape is shown and the song Finlandia by J. Sibelius is played..

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 12:38 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Diesta View Post
    Not really related, but when I think of Finland, I remember this guy: Simo Häyhä
    That's kinda cool read. I remember the guys name and that he was a "war hero" but had forgotten the specifics. Thanks for sharing the link :]

Typical "modest" Finnish guy who just did something he was asked.. cool to know he got to live and even go hunting with the president
    Last edited by ShadowOfThePast; 2012-12-06 at 08:41 PM. Reason: double post wtf :o

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MasterHamster View Post
    With the ice being made out of frozen beer (that we would later melt and drink)!

Meh, id rather live in Sweden. I hope no-one here is watching the bad soap opera "linnanjuhlat".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nalle View Post
    With the ice being made out of frozen beer (that we would later melt and drink)!

Sir! I like your way of thinking!

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 12:45 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Meh, id rather live in Sweden.
    If our grandfathers hadn't won the war you'd be "rather living in Russia" ;D

I WAS watching the "Linnan juhlat" for a while but heard that my uncle isn't there this year so I couldn't laugh at his eye glasses so I stopped watching..
    Last edited by ShadowOfThePast; 2012-12-06 at 08:47 PM.

Happy Independence day to you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speaknoevil View Post
    This is good, be a man about it.
    Have a cigar in your mouth and a shot of brandy in your hand and tell her to get out of the guild and get into a kitchen.
    Mists of Pandaria Beta Club ~World of Warcraft Annual Pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowOfThePast View Post
    Sir! I like your way of thinking!

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 12:45 AM ----------

If our grandfathers hadn't won the war you'd be "rather living in Russia" ;D
    Cheap booze and hot women? Count me in.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlon View Post
    Cheap booze and hot women? Count me in.

Or hot booze and cheap women?!

From a Swedish- and Finnish-American, Happy Independence Day! Thank you, Finland, for giving me my favorite hockey players Mikko Koivu and Mikael Granlund.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tok-meister View Post
    From a Swedish- and Finnish-American, Happy Independence Day! Thank you, Finland, for giving me my favorite hockey players Mikko Koivu and Mikael Granlund.
    You're welcome. There's plenty more from where they came from 8)

Deleted
    Finland, the most anti-social and depressing country in the world

Say you are a media person and the slightest "damn" or "hell" on TV and old people are rolling in their graves.
    The parlament the pinnacle of stupidity.
    The youth is retarded in every way.
    A Finnish person kills someone, no big deal. A foreigner steals a candy from the store and everyone goes batshit how the Somalians are raping our women and taking our jobs.
    Winters are depressing, unless you live in Lapland.

So yeah, hooray for 95 years

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sameen View Post
    Finland, the most anti-social and depressing country in the world

Say you are a media person and the slightest "damn" or "hell" on TV and old people are rolling in their graves.
    The parlament the pinnacle of stupidity.
    The youth is retarded in every way.
    A Finnish person kills someone, no big deal. A foreigner steals a candy from the store and everyone goes batshit how the Somalians are raping our women and taking our jobs.
    Winters are depressing, unless you live in Lapland.

So yeah, hooray for 95 years
    I like how you seem to despise Finland yet your location is "Winland". :P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tomatketchup View Post
    I like how you seem to despise Finland yet your location is "Winland". :P
    Busted. Only country you can put win to ^^

Deleted
    Gloomy bunch of bastards, merry independence day!

10+ Year Old Account
    I had no idea finland was only 95 years old.

Time to go read some history.

Were you guys just part of the swedish kingdom until then? Or some other slavic country? Russia?

What about Norway and denmark, so many questions now.