Page 1 of 2
LastLast

why doesnt blizzard merge dead/near dead servers?

before you say "$15 transfer fees", which does make sense from a business standpoint, why dont they actively try to save servers with dangerously low/inactive numbers?

sure, some of these people might transfer, but that doesnt solve the problem. CRZ is a band-aid. why not merge servers when it would benefit everyone? better AH economy, more people and in turn more guilds to raid/pvp with, more people to actually do content with.

so why are they so hesitant to merge servers when they are open to the idea of CRZ?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    There is a blue response to this. Might wanna check the recent bluetracker.
    IIRC the post said they "cannot" or don't want to balance or remove realms because migrations mess them up anyway. However the population of WoW is so "small" that you could remove 50 % of realms and things would be better for everyone.

Deleted
    why don't they just proactively open up FCM to unbalanced servers until there is some semblance of balance?

most people won't move, but if the option is there, some players will move

For example:
    Realm A = dead on both sides
    Realm B = high population H/A
    Realm C = high population H, medium population alliance
    Realm D = high population A, low population horde
    Realm E = high population A, low population horde

Open up FCM for realms B,C,D, and E to realm A, but only for the high pop factions

As I said, most players won't move, but you'll get some leaving, and realm A will begin to fill up, and become more attractive for other players to move there.

Because, in the words of my guildmate, "I liked my server when I didn't have to compete for nodes/quests".

So, some people like the dead servers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shinra1 View Post
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post
    Because, in the words of my guildmate, "I liked my server when I didn't have to compete for nodes/quests".

They could ruin that with crossrealm, why not with merges?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Just because Mannoroth and Archimonde are involved doesn't mean it's Legion. They could just be on vacation, demolishing Draenor to build their new summer home.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dundebuns View Post
    Did you know that salt has sodium and chlorine in it!!!! Sodium explodes when exposed to atmosphere and you clean your toilets with chlorine!!

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyEU View Post
    why don't they just proactively open up FCM to unbalanced servers until there is some semblance of balance?

For example:

Open up FCM for realms B,C,D, and E to realm A, but only for the high pop factions

As I said, most players won't move, but you'll get some leaving, and realm A will begin to fill up, and become more attractive for other players to move there.
    You know that people with a lot of people are better, why would you move to a low pop server if you are already in a high pop server?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamber View Post

but with CRZ getting rares (like a TLPD) are near impossible.

so why not just get it over with and merge the servers?

Quote Originally Posted by Moradim View Post
    but with CRZ getting rares (like a TLPD) are near impossible.

so why not just get it over with and merge the servers?
    This is part of the reason I absolutely hate CRZ: it makes the low-pop servers even worse by destroying the only advantage they had without addressing any disadvantages.
    The night is dark and full of terrors...

Well, if you saw my quote, it was past tense, he was talking about CRZ ruining it, but, I didn't want to bring it up in the discussion. Fact is, there are people who still like dead servers in aspects that aren't x-realmed. Dead server AHs are very easy to manipulate, and some find that fun. Keeping trade chat down to a minimum and having it as a near-server-wide chat channel is another.

Blizz implimented CRZ as it was easier for them to make a new infrastructure to place people in while allowing them to keep their "tight knit server feel". Obviously, that wasn't what the masses wanted, but an investment this large couldn't have been reverted. No, Blizz needs to stick to it's guns and show some backbone to the investors, to show that they aren't weak-kneed when they spend someone else's money in a "revolutionary" idea.

Blizz won't cause server merges for quite some time, as that will admit CRZ failed, and then that infrastructure that was built is now wasted. Instead, they will ignore the pleas about having to fight competition (which I find is fine. TLPD was near impossible for the large part of WotLK as well, everyone wanted it), and instead fix the next in the line of issues, like terrible economies. Of course, that means they need to establish a new economy pool, instead of connecting various (and very obsolete) servers with PVC and duct-tape.

The reason they will do this, and not merge servers, is to keep investors happy, and then to please the players.
    ...because being black means you can't be racist only prejudice.
    ...black people have no power, privilege they cannot be racist since they were oppressed.
    Did you just compare slavery to the holocaust? Don't compare them. The holocaust lasted 4 years while slavery lasted for well over 200 years at least in the US FYI

Because realm transfers make money.

CRZ is just the first step.

Make trading and guild play cross server

And realms are going to dissapear in a few months/year anyway.

Both in WOW as in their new MMORPG.

They did, it's called CRZ. That way they don't get the bad publicity.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottsdaleHokie View Post
    They did, it's called CRZ. That way they don't get the bad publicity.
    It (cross server play) is just the future structure for any serious MMORPG in the next decade.

No longer single server play, which makes for always populated content --- whatever the level, the zone, the BG, the instance, the world zone ...

Server communities were just created because of the technical barrier...

You'll play with the world in the next generation... not with some limited server capacity...

So the OP talks about techniques already being replaced...

Character names.

Only thing I can think of at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by BoysBoysBoys View Post
    Character names.

Only thing I can think of at this point.
    John_Dragonflight is different than John_Dragonblight ... so no problem.

It is just a question of months before individual realms will just be used to log in...

CRZ is just the first step (or the 3rd one actually, after PvP instances, PVE instances, now the open world). Adding guilds and limited AH'economies access (like semi Battlegroups mechanics) and there won't even be realms anymore.

If it really bothers you, speak with your wallet.

I'm sure with enough people complaining, they'll eventually cave, but ultimately, there's a horde of people yelling at them every day who simply love to complain. Maybe it's because they feel like they're "Doing Their Part" when they complain about stuff, ultimately all they ever achieved is a wall of white noise where real issues get drowned out between people complaining that Class X is "Globaling" them in 3GCD (Even though that's not what globaling means) or complaining about the odd limitations on how they can't name their pet.

Also, there's still one big advantage to Low-pop servers. Easy access to server firsts usually.

what happens if a ton of players come back because blizzard offer a discount,

instant full server, especially if their merged,

the CRZ works well because it "stops" working if a population of a zone gets to high, as someone mentioned once cross server trading is nailed it'll all be good
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

Quote Originally Posted by AnarchyEU View Post

For example:

why would any 1 migrate form a high pop realm to a dead 1 my realm was offered a FCM for alliance coz there were so many but they were to dead realms so i doubt any1 took them

as they said, servers tend to fluctuate a lot. all it takes is some big guild or pvper moving to skew it.

for ex: my server cho'gall used to be huge, there was a world ranked raiding guild on here. then they xferred to another server when free transfers were offered (cause it was so full). BOOM dead server.

Quote Originally Posted by darenyon View Post
    as they said, servers tend to fluctuate a lot. all it takes is some big guild or pvper moving to skew it.

for ex: my server cho'gall used to be huge, there was a world ranked raiding guild on here. then they xferred to another server when free transfers were offered (cause it was so full). BOOM dead server.
    Exactly. Its far better to find a more permanant solution to the issues rather than constantly tossing people between servers with forced migrations (mergers).
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source