Poll: rocs as a flying mount

10+ Year Old Account

Roc as a flying mount

Just wondering if anyone else would like to see roc mounts?

A roc or rukh (from the Arabic and Persian رخ rokh,[1] asserted by Louis Charles Casartelli[2] to be an abbreviated form of Persian simurgh) is an enormous legendary bird of prey, often said to be white.

The roc had its origins, according to Rudolph Wittkower, in the fight between the Indian solar bird Garuda[3] and the chthonic serpent Nāga. The mytheme of Garuda carrying off an elephant that was battling a Crocodile appears in two Sanskrit epics, the Mahabharata (I.1353) and the Ramayana (III.39). The roc appears in Arabic geographies and natural history, popularized in Arabian fairy tales and sailors' folklore. Ibn Battuta (iv. 305ff) tells of a mountain hovering in air over the China Seas, which was the roc.[4]

Western expansion

1690 painting by Franz Rösel von Rosenhof showing two roc-like birds carrying a deer and an elephant
    Rabbi Benjamin of Tudela reported a story reminiscent of the roc in which shipwrecked sailors had themselves carried off desert islands by wrapping ox-hides round them and letting griffins carry them off as if they were cattle.

[5] In the 13th century, Marco Polo (as quoted in Attenborough (1961: 32) stated "It was for all the world like an eagle, but one indeed of enormous size; so big in fact that its quills were twelve paces long and thick in proportion. And it is so strong that it will seize an elephant in its talons and carry him high into the air and drop him so that he is smashed to pieces; having so killed him, the bird swoops down on him and eats him at leisure". Marco Polo explicitly distinguishes the bird from a griffin. Doubtless it was Marco Polo's description that inspired Antonio Pigafetta, one of Magellan's companions, who wrote or had ghost-written an embroidered account of the circumglobal voyage; in Pigafetta's account[6] the home grounds of the roc were the seas of China.

Such descriptions doubtless captured the imaginations of later illustrators, such as Johannes Stradanus ca 1590[7] or Theodor de Bry in 1594 who showed an elephant being carried off in the roc's talons,[8] or showed the roc destroying entire ships in revenge for destruction of its giant egg, as recounted in the fifth voyage of Sinbad the Sailor. Tommaso Aldrovandini's Ornithologia (1599) included a woodcut of a roc with a somewhat pig-like elephant in its talons,[9] but in the rational world of the 17th century, the roc was more critically looked upon.
    Last edited by Benomatic; 2013-04-21 at 09:12 AM.

whats a Roc? is it some sort of eagle?

Deleted
    Its a huge bird from Arabic mythologies, also knowns as Rukh. It was said to be so big it could carry an elephant with its talons.
    Last edited by mmocb13165abed; 2013-04-20 at 11:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spelle View Post
    whats a Roc? is it some sort of eagle?
    its basically a giant as bird. imagine a bird a bit bigger than a proto drake

and yes, i wants dem

---------- Post added 2013-04-20 at 07:03 PM ----------

HAY BLIZZ

you should totes use this as "inspiration" for the roc mount

"I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Could even be a new playable race flying mount akin to wyvern and hippogriff

http://www.wowhead.com/npc=5430
    Those things? Adds to variation I guess.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or closer in theme with those seen in the hobbit and lord of the rings

i feel like everything that can fly in the game is being turned into a mount.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

10+ Year Old Account
    But rocs have been used as mounts in other literature and other media, why should wow be any different?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    I want a zeppelin mount!

WTB Blood Queen Lana'thel mount pst
    "Tell them only that the Lich King is dead, and that World of Warcraft died with him."

I want a wasp/firefly mount!

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder how many people are going to come in this thread yelling that you can't fly on a large boulder.

( A roc would have been cool in Cata with all the elemental stuff going on. )
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

Quote Originally Posted by Shedeo View Post
    WTB Blood Queen Lana'thel mount pst
    I support this

also: WTB succubus mount. they have wings
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by manicwrath View Post
    Just wondering if anyone else would like to see roc mounts?
    Two headed vultures as rook for ogre's mount!