10+ Year Old Account

Will This Setup Be Good For Mists?

I'm thinking of resubbing to WoW once I get a new setup which I'm in the process of gluing together now. I'm looking into an AMD Fx-6300 Six Core (no overclocking) with a Nvidia GTX 650 Ti GPU, along with a [CrossFireX] ASUS M5A97 LE R2.0 AMD 970 Chipset motherboard. Will this get me at least medium-high settings with decent FPS?

I'm kind of concerned about the processor bottlenecking the GPU. What kind of FPS could I expect on this setup while in Stormwind or LFR? Thanks in advance for any advice

Deleted
    Intel CPU is better...but yes it will run it.

You rather aim for Intel instead of an fx.

WoW only uses 3 cores, 2 cores are doing the most and the 3rd core is sometimes just taking some minor work off but isn't providing performance.

A FX xxxx performs at stock speeds 1.07 per core while an intel i3 performs 1.37 per core

Overclocking the FX xxxx to 5GHz even, gives 1.27 per core and still not beating an i3.

TL;dr you rather aim for Intel because this will be a much wiser choice and to avoid cpu bottlenecks in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the replies, I know Intel is better but what I'm really interested in is what kind of fps could I be looking at with the setup I posted on medium or high settings, and if I'd get bottlenecked?
    Last edited by RicardoZ; 2012-12-07 at 01:34 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Thanks for the replies, I know Intel is better but what I'm really interested in is what kind of fps could I be looking at with the setup I posted on medium or high settings, and if I'd get bottlenecked?
    Hmm...well I don't know about that to be honest...never had an AMD CPU. (well except an old one when I wasn't into tech at all and younger)

Quote Originally Posted by coolkingler1 View Post
    Hmm...well I don't know about that to be honest...never had an AMD CPU. (well except an old one when I wasn't into tech at all and younger)
    CPU performance in WoW between Intel & AMD is only noticeable in raids. Nobody here can tell you exactly how much fps you have.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...rmance/20.html

But they measured it while flying from one spot to another spot with a gryphon thingie? This isn't really the most realistic way to show performance.

For the price, you rather go for a 7850 which would be suitable to play ultra with 1xaa around 50-60fps in raids & stormwind slacking.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    i dont mean to sound rude but any current tech (and i mean tech thats been around for 2 years or less) most likely will not have any trouble playing WoW. that being said the game is more cpu dependant than gpu dependant so i would make sure the larger sum of my money went into the gpu department.

i have limited experience with building computers, i just built my first one a year and a half ago, but i havent had any troubles out of mine. when i bought all my components the i5 sandy bridge had just been recalled and i decided i didnt want to wait however long it was going to be before they were re-released so i went with the amd phenom II x4 and havent had any complaints with it. its overclocked to 3.7 on the stock cooler and it runs everything i play flawlessly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    CPU performance in WoW between Intel & AMD is only noticeable in raids. Nobody here can tell you exactly how much fps you have.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/A...rmance/20.html

But they measured it while flying from one spot to another spot with a gryphon thingie? This isn't really the most realistic way to show performance.

For the price, you rather go for a 7850 which would be suitable to play ultra with 1xaa around 50-60fps in raids & stormwind slacking.
    Thanks for the info. I've heard from someone on Tom's Hardware that the FX-6300 processor will never bottleneck the GTX 650 Ti (even though it would be better to spend the extra few pesos and upgrade to the 8350, in which case I might as well just buy an i5 anyway...) and GPU-wise it would be better than the 7850 because Blizzard games tend to prefer Nvidia hardware for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by RicardoZ View Post
    Thanks for the info. I've heard from someone on Tom's Hardware that the FX-6300 processor will never bottleneck the GTX 650 Ti (even though it would be better to spend the extra few pesos and upgrade to the 8350, in which case I might as well just buy an i5 anyway...) and GPU-wise it would be better than the 7850 because Blizzard games tend to prefer Nvidia hardware for some reason.
    I'd go for the i5 as well because this game only uses 2 cores and an i5 is so much faster in apps using 2 cores.