Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

So if you're through with the raid content already

you'll have to wait 4 months for a new raid now. And again I fail to see the reason why someone wants to plow through the content as fast as possible.
    I'm raiding 3-4 days a week for 4 hours each day and if I had to guess I'd say that we still have 2-3 months of progressing to do before we'll kill the last boss of T14 in heroic mode.
    But for some people there's nothing to do other than farming the same bosses again for 4 months. That's double the time that MoP has been out already. Sounds fun I guess?

I think Blizzard did a good job with the difficulty this time. You can't tune encounters to block guilds that probably raid 24/7. There's no way anyone other than those will ever kill such bosses. And for this "rest" 5.2 will probably arrive while they're still progressing or are just done with Sha HC.

I made this thread because it really perplexes me what someone who goes raiding every single day for god-knows-how-long has to be thinking to make the decision to spend most of this time in some dungeons in some game. Or to phrase it more general - to do the exact same thing all the time for weeks if not months or maybe even years (Diablo2 anyone?).
    I can understand people that are playing for such a long time but are mixing it up a bit. Some raids, some PvP, some dailies, some pet-battles. But usually there's a point when things start feeling like a chore and most people call it a day. And that's the thing - I can't even believe that people raiding so much or playing things like Diablo2 for years doing the exact same grinding (seriously wtf? there's no new content coming out, what's even the point?) are having fun anymore.

Okay, there's that feeling of competition with raiding in WoW. Being the first to clear the content might be nice but is it really worth sacrifing so much time? SO. MUCH. TIME?
    What do you think?

10+ Year Old Account
    The people who power through all the raids will raid for the rest of the time, getting every single piece of gear they can, before power through the next tier.

Rinse and repeat. They get their jollies from doing it "first".
    Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
    So I chose the path of the Ebon Blade, and not a day passes where i've regretted it.
    I am eternal, I am unyielding, I am UNDYING.
    I am Zethras, and my blood will be the end of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelos View Post
    you'll have to wait 4 months for a new raid now. And again I fail to see the reason why someone wants to plow through the content as fast as possible.
    I'm raiding 3-4 days a week for 4 hours each day and if I had to guess I'd say that we still have 2-3 months of progressing to do before we'll kill the last boss of T14 in heroic mode.
    But for some people there's nothing to do other than farming the same bosses again for 4 months. That's double the time that MoP has been out already. Sounds fun I guess?

I think Blizzard did a good job with the difficulty this time. You can't tune encounters to block guilds that probably raid 24/7. There's no way anyone other than those will ever kill such bosses. And for this "rest" 5.2 will probably arrive while they're still progressing or are just done with Sha HC.

I made this thread because it really perplexes me what someone who goes raiding every single day for god-knows-how-long has to be thinking to make the decision to spend most of this time in some dungeons in some game. Or to phrase it more general - to do the exact same thing all the time for weeks if not months or maybe even years (Diablo2 anyone?).
    I can understand people that are playing for such a long time but are mixing it up a bit. Some raids, some PvP, some dailies, some pet-battles. But usually there's a point when things start feeling like a chore and most people call it a day. And that's the thing - I can't even believe that people raiding so much or playing things like Diablo2 for years doing the exact same grinding (seriously wtf? there's no new content coming out, what's even the point?) are having fun anymore.

Okay, there's that feeling of competition with raiding in WoW. Being the first to clear the content might be nice but is it really worth sacrifing so much time? SO. MUCH. TIME?
    What do you think?
    I think what they meant, and I very well could be wrong is that we have something like this: (and dates aren't exact, just there to illustrate)

September 25 - MoP Release

November 25 - Small Content Patch

January 25 - New Raid Content

March 25 - Small Content Patch

May 25 - New Raid Content

and etc. If it's something like that we'll get something roughly every two months. Which if that is indeed what they hope and follow through with it I don't see how someone could run out of stuff to do unless, as you said they burn through it super quick. Some people do enjoy doing that stuff though, but ultimately only those who want to run out of stuff can and will. Those who don't can find stuff to do.

The top guilds who have cleared the content already will probably only raid as much as you or less until the next raid comes out. They "only" do a few weeks of 24/7 raiding and plan their vacations around it. It's not like they raid 10 hours every day of the year. When you're competing against other guilds for a rather coveted title in the hardcore raiding community, I'm sure it doesn't feel like a chore at all.
    Ashr

I would happily trade clearing content at a snail's pace the entire tier for clearing everything at a US25 pace. #competitivedrive

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think there will be a new patch until late February or early March. The end of March at the latest.

Sorry, but id rather be done with all content right now (I'm not), than to wipe on bosses for the next 4 months that are easily killable at this moment. If it takes you an entire content patch to clear all the raids while raiding 4 hours a day, 4 days a week, that's not fun. That means you are wiping on bosses to really dumb reasons.

What hardcore raiders in good guilds do is raid for a few weeks, clear everything, and take time off from raiding. They raid a lot during that brief window, and not that much outside of it, give or take alt play and so on. Given that there's so much time to get full BiS before the next tier there's no rush right now, and you'll find that most guilds that are 16/16 presently are raiding a light schedule between now and when the next content comes up on the PTR.

There are many, many guilds out there that raid 10-20 hours a week every week, without pause. You could argue that the hardcore crowd commit more to the game but it's really not that clear cut. I definitely felt like I spent more time playing WoW in total when I was in a guild ranked 200-500 in the world than a guild in the top 20 or so, and the best guilds out there clear stuff faster than mine.
    Last edited by Gondlem; 2012-12-07 at 08:00 AM.

OP, I can ensure you that hard-core top 100 raiders, plays less than you. Atleast they raid less.

Now, some or most off thoes might also play alot outside of raids, but thats there choice/they haft to grind X thing to stay competitive.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Zethras View Post
    The people who power through all the raids will raid for the rest of the time, getting every single piece of gear they can, before power through the next tier.

Rinse and repeat. They get their jollies from doing it "first".
    Whiny baddies are at it again lol. People are used to pushing progression just like in real life they push t hrough their work and can afford to take time off to do this. Someone is better than you and it is what they like to do so go get a lot of peanut butter for all of your jelly baddie.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 08:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Ashrr View Post
    The top guilds who have cleared the content already will probably only raid as much as you or less until the next raid comes out. They "only" do a few weeks of 24/7 raiding and plan their vacations around it. It's not like they raid 10 hours every day of the year. When you're competing against other guilds for a rather coveted title in the hardcore raiding community, I'm sure it doesn't feel like a chore at all.
    Exactly, we raid a lot at the beginning of new content then it comes down to one raid night, clear all heroic. Once alts have been geared, mainly range as most content calls for range, we always gear peoples alts for those enounters. Melee sometimes comes back to clear since they are sat on some fights for progression but after that it is one raid night, clear all content. Then once people are geared, start charging for full heroic clears and heroic gear to stack up gold for the next set of content.

What do you think?
    Would they do it if they thought it wasn't worth it?

Next stupid question please.

10+ Year Old Account

What do you think?
    Considering those top guilds probably spend the same amount of time overall as you, I fail to see where you're coming from

How much time are they really spending? They clear in a single night now.

In fact, over the course of an entire tier, I bet that a guild such as, say... Method, or Blood Legion, spends less time overall than a guild that raids 3 nights a week and spends 90% of the tier doing progression.

This is one of the reasons I really like my current guild and couldn't care less that we aren't even through HoF (N), yet. A bunch of students and interns spending two nights a week progressing when they can, being replaced by less common members in when they can't, and otherwise just having a general feeling of "I know we can do this, we just have to keep trying" so the moment we finally do something great like beat Elegon for the first time (which has finally gotten down to near-farmable for us) it's a stellar achievement worth taking a short break to catch our breathe and celebrate.

Yeah, if I looked around I could potentially pug with far more progressive raids (25 mans with empty spots) because I care enough about my results to spend a lot of time perfecting my character, but honestly, the spark just wouldn't be there. I doubt I'll be 16/16(h) by the next raid release but I can live with that.
    Soothing Mist:"Healing them for a minor amount every 0.5 sec, until you take any other action."
    Jade Serpent Statue: "The statue will also begin casting Soothing Mist on your target. healing for 50% as much as yours. "
    [What's half of minor?]
    "Statue casts Soothing Mist at a nearby ally for toddler healing."

Different strokes for different folks

What herecius said tbh.
    This week if we had a bit better raid setup we would be done with all 16 bosses in 2 days, sadly we had to wipe on sha at 0.4% leaving him for sunday. At the same time people, who are still progressing, raid at least 3 days a week.
    The only thing that might be questionable is the fact that some guilds run mandatory alt raids which usually cover at least another 1-2 days.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Banzhe View Post
    Considering those top guilds probably spend the same amount of time overall as you, I fail to see where you're coming from
    Usually, people who are done with progression by now, don't spend "only" 3-4 times 4 hours a week on progression. Depending on guild obviously.

But still, I don't really see the OP's point either, since those guilds don't raid 24/7, they raid a little bit more than him (some may even raid the same amount he raids, but are just plain better), mostly 4-5 nights a week during progression, again it's dependant on the guilds themselves.

What do you think?
    I , personally , think you are frustrated cause you are not done with the tier and at times talk to your friends in written/voice chat about how "uncool" it is to raid at the level Method/ Blood Legion does. And i, personally, have had enough of envious people that seek understanding .
    You ask "is it really worth sacrifing so much time? SO. MUCH. TIME? " . what do you understand by SO . MUCH . TIME ? taking a few days off work (usually up to a week ) , then pushing hard in order to : a) stay at the top of the WORLD guilds b) get it over with so you have time for other stuff . Is raiding at your pace better in any way,shape or form ? 90% of the tier you progress. they (method/BL/scrubbusters etc etc) invest 4-5 more days when the tier is released but progress lasts 5% or 10% of the tier .
    You know what they do after they are done with progress ? level alts, play other games, focus more on real life or simply nothing much.
    You know why? You are NOT ment to progress 95% of the tier. Blizzard Entertainment/activision w/e will NOT create a new tier content every time 5 or 10 guild just cleared the current one . why ? cause that would mean overburn for top guilds players, it would mean most of their players will eventually quit due to continuous boss kills frustration .
    It`s same as in every day life : so many "haters" saying crap about rich people/super-stars like : "i bet he is really ugly in real life/ i bet he had a crap childhood/ i bet the rumor about her/him being gay is true !" . Reality is : people are envious when they see someone else doing something they can`t do due to : a) incompetence b) lack of power of will . Reality check also says some humanoids have a a greater will-power, are more determined and stay on top of alot others cause they have the "balls" to try, to achieve, to accept failure as part of the process and to enjoy their succes while others , less gifted , less determined live their whole lives wishing, envying , talking crap but NEVER trying or loosing determination at the first sign of failure .

There are leaders of the wolf pack and there are hungry wolves who are glory-starved. It`s called natural selecion.
    I, personally, think you are starving and you should try and be better at what you do in every aspect of life and gaming, accept nothing but the best and work your ass out to get / achieve what you want . Spend more time saying "my god i actually did that one time" instead of "i wish i had tried doing that " .
    But you have your rights to an opinion , and society defends weak people , and frequently we see talk shows/reality show about frustrated/dumb/alcoholic people that tell everybody about their said stories and seeking understanding / hand shakes.
    I`d rather see more media-coverage of human-evolution facts and less tards crying on tv .Same with wow. More topics about how to be better and succes stories and less moaning about others who are better by miles . enough . become better.work your ass out do achieve it. period.

here`s a start : http://youtu.be/lsSC2vx7zFQ

10+ Year Old Account
    my guild spends about 8 hours raiding a day, 6pm-2am 7 days a week. tbh we do it for fun/compete for oceanic first. Also clearing faster allows us to gear up for alts to have the strongest possible comps if required for the next raiding tier.

Sig by the amazing Shyama! <Ascension 16/16 H 25man oceanic>

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    I think what they meant, and I very well could be wrong is that we have something like this: (and dates aren't exact, just there to illustrate)

September 25 - MoP Release
    November 25 - Small Content Patch
    January 25 - New Raid Content (...)
    I don't think so. It would mean you're expected to clear a 16 boss tier in 4 months. That's pretty much the largest tier ever, rivaled only by T7, which was absolutely trivial. And it'd become useless the day 5.2 hits, unless they figure some way to keep people playing old heroics. Which I doubt.

If that happens, it will be the repeat of ToC - release new instance too early, while lots of people still progress in previous one, killing old tier in the process.

Also, even if that was the case, it should be on PTR already - assuming it's not 5 boss instance and actually decent size raid.