Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Does MOP have any connection to TBC or WOTLK lore?

Just a question...does anything in MOP have any connection to TBC or WOTLK lore?

It took me ages to figure out the storyline for TBC/WOTLK (since I never played any previous warcraft games)

Now with Cataclysm I had NFI what was going on story wise.

Now with MOP im even more confused with the story - Does it have ANY connection whatsoever to TBC/WOTLK lore?

Only if you go reaaaallly far back, to the War of the ancients, basically, when the Burning legion came, the Last emperor Shaohao seperated pandaria from the rest of azeroth and created the mists. this split the story to that of general azeroth and pandaria. so yes, there is a connection.

yes. garrosh was introduced in TBC as the leader of the uncorrupted orcs. in WotLK he became a great hero of the horde, which made thrall choose him as the next warchief in cataclysm. garrosh is now one of the main elements behind MoP's storyline and at the end of it, he'll be the main villain.
    Warlorcs of Draenorc made me quit. You can't have my stuff.

Deleted
    more than anything i think the main 7 problem is that so much lore is in outside media. like books and comics. when varian came out i was like who the 6 is that?

10+ Year Old Account
    Does it need to? Just curious why you would think it has to. What's wrong with the story moving on?

10+ Year Old Account
    On a greater scale, yes. Garrosh, coming from Nagrand (TBC) got most his (primarily orcish) supporters during the Northrend (WOTLK) campaign. If not for Northrend, he might've never been a good option for becoming a Warchief, which wouldnt put him in a position to become at odds with the different races of the horde (MoP), and the subsequent increasingle desperate measures to prove himself through power instead of good leadership, leading to his status as villain.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Y-shaarj, a dead old god.

The mantids are also related the nerubians and those insects in Silithus (I don't know if it's the silithus, Qiraj or Aqir or w/e, for me they are all the same ).

Ps: I know there is a difference between them I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Does it need to? Just curious why you would think it has to. What's wrong with the story moving on?
    He doesn't say it needs to. He's just trying to figure out the connections (if they exist).

Deleted
    BC and WotLK, have stories why several important characters in MoP cam too their current spot/rank.
    and it show tensions rise between both sides (in WotLK), however thats were it pretty much stops.

MoP is as a lore story basically standing on its own, and doesnt have any major lore from previous expansion, except earlier mentioned little story beginnings

Deleted
    Does MOP have any connection to TBC or WOTLK lore?
    Nope. TBC and Wotlk fed on the good stuff made for WC3. Mop is all new Wow crap.

Other than Chen Stormstout, a joke sidekick hero with no voice acting introduced mainly for multiplayer gaming in the orc mini campaign.

I don't see how you can be confused with the story.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Quote Originally Posted by Godavari View Post
    more than anything i think the main 7 problem is that so much lore is in outside media. like books and comics. when varian came out i was like who the 6 is that?
    Most of the lore for MoP is in game. The problem is people are just too damn lazy to read or listen to cutscenes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Nope. TBC and Wotlk fed on the good stuff made for WC3. Mop is all new Wow crap.

Other than Chen Stormstout, a joke sidekick hero with no voice acting introduced mainly for multiplayer gaming in the orc mini campaign.
    If that's an excuse to dislike a narrative, I guess you never read new books, only books that have ties to pre-1800's mythology?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    If that's an excuse to dislike a narrative, I guess you never read new books, only books that have ties to pre-1800's mythology?
    if thats a terrible comparison, i guess--- i dunno where im going with this one

warcraft lore =/= every other novel/short story/comic in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawless Jones View Post
    if thats a terrible comparison, i guess--- i dunno where im going with this one

warcraft lore =/= every other novel/short story/comic in the world
    That's a terrible comparison.
    And an even worse comparidaughter.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Chonar View Post
    MMO is just an awful storytelling tool compared to an RTS game. Although that's no excuse for butchering the old classic characters like this.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    In my opinion, the story is supposed to evolve, from the beginning to the end. I personally hate stories/movies/games that change their stories completely at some point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    MMO is just an awful storytelling tool compared to an RTS game. Although that's no excuse for butchering the old classic characters like this.
    'Butchering' is completely your opinion. We had a starting setting, we had events, we had characters from that starting setting evolve and react to those events.
    MoP is the Orcs VS Humans war from 1994's Warcraft 1 evolved to the point where it is now, spilling over into newly discovered territory. This upsets not only the natives but also the land that has peculiar elements to it.

The Sillithid and Aqir were a completely new addition to the warcraft story. The first War of the Shifting Sands was never mentioned in Warcraft3. Same difference, worked out fine, fond memories from classic, etc. etc. etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Worer View Post
    In my opinion, the story is supposed to evolve, from the beginning to the end. I personally hate stories/movies/games that change their stories completely at some point.
    I hadn't though of it like this, but seeing it written I have to agree. It feels to me, as an avid reader of fiction, that MoP should have been a spin-off series, rather than a sequal to a firmly entrenched story. Perhaps if the pandas had their own RTS before being introduced to wow so we could skip all the introductory stuff and just continued the Alliance/Horde story it would have stood up better(for me, I'm not projecting!).

10+ Year Old Account
    If you take a little time to read the quests, you should have a pretty good idea of what is going on. Even if you don't read, most of the significant events have voice acting in them now, which is a lot like tv or radio, just have to have the sound on.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by oplawlz View Post
    I hadn't though of it like this, but seeing it written I have to agree. It feels to me, as an avid reader of fiction, that MoP should have been a spin-off series, rather than a sequal to a firmly entrenched story. Perhaps if the pandas had their own RTS before being introduced to wow so we could skip all the introductory stuff and just continued the Alliance/Horde story it would have stood up better(for me, I'm not projecting!).
    It would be a gigantic waste of money to make a Pandaria RTS just for the hell of having one.

The purpose of a living fantasy world is that it grows over time, organically. Characters in the world explore and discover new lands, natural and magical disasters sink continents and cause others to rise, races are wiped out and new species are discovered. This happens in *every* significant fantasy setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.