Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Some quick tips on Protectors Elite (super easy btw)

Took us 4 wipes and I've heard of a lot of guilds even 1 shotting the elite version. Even if you haven't killed Empress yet, find someone with the raid clear to make your Terrace group and go get this bad boy. Free 502 loot ftw. Here's some of the tips we put together for our other teams. I'm posting here in the hopes they help you as well.

Being generally horrible but helpful since Molten Core;
    When leading was more about managing bathroom breaks than boss mechanics.
    http://www.ihazlead.com - Raid leading guides, tutorials, and videos.

Warchief
    15+ Year Old Account
    We killed it on "normal" twice I think and this week we decided to try it on Elite (25m raid). First attempt we got to phase 3 and died to the first Massive Circle O-Death that dropped. Ran back, talked a little about strategy (had the Koralon tank go tightly pack the desecration in the corner near the stairs during phase 2) and then final phase we just pre-ran out of the circle and kited him around the outside. We had maybe one more location we could kite him to when we killed him.

So two-shot it without the raid really doing any research before hand.

Pretty ridiculous right? Elegon takes most guilds 60 wipes and this guy takes a kick to the balls and hands us HM loot. So stupid... c'mon blizz...

Quote Originally Posted by jfragment View Post
    Pretty ridiculous right? Elegon takes most guilds 60 wipes and this guy takes a kick to the balls and hands us HM loot. So stupid... c'mon blizz...
    Until you realise that this fight on heroic is brutal. Heroic elite? I don't think it's actually possible at the moment.

Just making a relative statement as to the bosses before him. He is the 13th (i think) in the tier and the 5th (elegon) boss is about 55 more wipes harder.. just seems silly. We've only killed 2 heroic bosses and I imagine the rest are going to be a helluva challenge but as for regular modes.. this boss seems a bit underwhelming and elegon seems a bit overhwhelming. According to WoWProgress only 53% of the guilds that killed Stoneguard have killed Elegon. And it's what, 10 weeks in?... that just seems silly to make this boss easier than that one but to not give those teams access to it.

First bosses of a raid are usually easier (usually). The right comparison would be Stone Guards and Protectors. Nice video btw I'm sure it'll help those people who are wondering if they should do elite or just normal mode.

You're assuming Blizz wants each boss to be progressively harder, which I doubt is accurate.

If you have to kill Empress to get to this boss doesn't it seem a bit weird this would then lead you to a boss that, in your words, is basically analogous with Stone guards?

I believe it's for lore purposes to require the Empress Kill. Nothing weird about having a lore component in a MMORPG But difficulty-wise, it seems right that Protectors would be easier than Empress for the reason that it is the first boss of the raid.

My guild is starting ToES this week, wondering if we should start with the Elite mode or not.

World of Logs seems to indicate that guilds actually have a higher success rate on the Elite mode than on the normal mode. Is this accurate? I can imagine the Elite mode being easy, but is it actually easier?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kultcher View Post
    My guild is starting ToES this week, wondering if we should start with the Elite mode or not.

World of Logs seems to indicate that guilds actually have a higher success rate on the Elite mode than on the normal mode. Is this accurate? I can imagine the Elite mode being easy, but is it actually easier?
    Normal Elite is INCREDIBLY easy.

If you have to kill Empress to get to this boss doesn't it seem a bit weird this would then lead you to a boss that, in your words, is basically analogous with Stone guards?
    Ragewinter Chill says hello

Deleted
    elegon and protectors elite are both so easy it would be impossible to say 1 or the other is harder.

uve prob had less wipes on protectors compared to elegon because u started wipin on elegon with blue gear, where as ur prob killin protectors with full epic gear.

elite is really easy, if you have the dps to kill garalon you can kill this

although the success rate of normal mode is skewed by the fact that if you fuck up at the beginning (let a heal through or something and go rest by running out etc), wol counts that as a normal attempt, I think if you wipe with 2 up it's still counts as normal even if you are going for elite

Why bother posting a video of a normal boss kill, while stating you're only 2/16 HM? Any good guild already has this on farm, and bad guilds aren't anywhere near to them.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodejjj View Post
    Why bother posting a video of a normal boss kill, while stating you're only 2/16 HM? Any good guild already has this on farm, and bad guilds aren't anywhere near to them.
    I didn't realize WoW had separated into "good" and "bad" guilds now, with each at totally different stages of progress and with only the "good" guilds worthy of having guide videos. I'm sure lots of guilds are just starting Terrace and will find this helpful. If it's not helpful for you, that's great, move along.

Deleted

i assume this is cause guilds who do it on normal struggle with the fight (though cant see how if they managed to do empress). and most others pretty much facerolled elite mode. took us 2-3 tries cause people didnt dodge the big aoe of death quick enough.

10+ Year Old Account
    Wouldn't be the first time.

In BC, after killing without a doubt the hardest bosses of the tier (Kael'thas and Vashj), you were given free "reward" bosses in Hyjal that were essentially free loot.

As for Elite protectors, yes it's a joke. We 1-shot it this week after doing regular the first 2 weeks (25m). I imagine it's practically impossible on heroic. We only had 1-2 kite spots left when Kaolan died, and our DPS is pretty good. Even not accounting for the extra mechanics, just the sheer health of the bosses would make the Expel Corruptions take up the whole room by the end.
    Last edited by Marxman; 2012-12-08 at 01:51 AM.

Hmm...this took us three attempts. First attempt, we had no idea what to expect and the first big circle killed half our raid. Second attempt, while trying to space them out, we accidentally reset the boss when the tank pulled him out too close to Lei Shi's stairs. -_-

Then it died.

Got a mixed impressions about this boss from what you guys wrote. (although it seemed to shine through that the boss is easy as hell, but from what standard hmm.)

So I have been so privileged to get with the more of a hardcore group in my guild, to kill all in HoF, and thereby opening up for Terrace.
    I am a part of a more casual group in the guild. We are easily clearing elegon dpswise, which so many referred to in this thread. We are on Garalon, been there for half an evening which isn't too bad, although we might be lacking some dps to get it down without sacrificing a healer or tank into dps. Until now all suggestions have been on going Terrace's first couple of bosses, and therefore of cause Protectors, instead of Garalon, to obtain some better gear so that we got a better shot at Garalon later.

So I'm really wondering, thinking of our dps might be a little bit too low for Garalon running 3healers 2 tanks setup, if we should manage Protectors like this:
    1. 1 tank, 2 healers
    2. 1 tank, 3 healers (the extra healer being disc priest, who is happy with atonement)
    3. 2 tanks, 2 healers
    4. 2 tanks, 3 healers

I myself would prefer 1. or 2. (our healing is usually really strong) Would any of those 2 be an option for us or?

(we would be going for elite normal 10man or (1. Protector Kaolan, 2. Elder Regail, 3. Elder Asani))
    Last edited by wrynil; 2012-12-08 at 03:40 AM.