Thread: How is Arcane?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

How is Arcane?

I'm thinking of trying it out. How is the dps in comparison to other specs and what is mobility like?

It's fantastic and a lot of fun on most fights, but there are some that are incredibly difficult and just not made for arcane in this tier. On decent fights, I'm still top dps by a fair margin in 25's.

After they nerfed fire into the mother fucking ground, I've been playing arcane myself and it fucking sucks. The rotation is boring as shit and you have one of the worst mobility specs in the game. The damage seems to be okay, although nothing compared to what fire was before they nerfed the shit out of combustion and critical mass. Mages are really fucked right now. I hope they fix it soon or I'm switching my main.

Deleted
    Nice, just out of interest how do you use Arcane Power, on CD and with regular rotation or is there anything special?

Edit, that was in reply to Dream but in reply to radoria:

I'm sticking with my mage as my main and we all have to agree that fire damage was out of proportion. I'm actually looking slightly forward to playing arcane tbh. I can pull good numbers as frost if I need to aswell.

I love it. Embarrassed a bunch of fire mages 5-9 ilvls higher than me to convert them. Lol @ CM nerf, lol @ RNG. Id rather take consistent dmg over huge variances.

---------- Post added 2012-12-07 at 05:30 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by khedgey View Post
    Nice, just out of interest how do you use Arcane Power, on CD and with regular rotation or is there anything special?

I'm sticking with my mage as my main and we all have to agree that fire damage was out of proportion. I'm actually looking slightly forward to playing arcane tbh. I can pull good numbers as frost if I need to aswell.
    AP on CD.

If you use AP Glyph always line it up with Alter Time.
    If no glyph, use the first AP with AT and every even cast standalone at 6 stacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Radoria View Post
    After they nerfed fire into the mother fucking ground, I've been playing arcane myself and it fucking sucks. The rotation is boring as shit and you have one of the worst mobility specs in the game. The damage seems to be okay, although nothing compared to what fire was before they nerfed the shit out of combustion and critical mass. Mages are really fucked right now. I hope they fix it soon or I'm switching my main.
    Fire is still parsing as the top dps spec in the game, so idk how that is the ground.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    Just the replies I've been hoping for Gonna try arcane soon and where are you getting that from Gamdwelf cos I've been seeing completely different.

Just the replies I've been hoping for Gonna try arcane soon and where are you getting that from Gamdwelf cos I've been seeing completely different.
    Raidbots since the nerf still has it as the top spec, while, now that arcane has been played by more people is meteorically rising, even though there are no mechanical changes to arcane.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

You use arcane power when u have several stacks of arcane blast and missles up. Make sure you use it with alter time whenever possible to get another 6 seconds out of it as well. There's a whole arcane guide in these forums, it should be very helpful to you. While I agree fire needed a nerf, nerfing both combustion and especially critical mass as much as they did was a massive overkill. I'll be the first guy to admit that fire was OPed before but now it just sucks. And yeah frost is pretty cool. i pull respectable numbers with it and it's a lot of fun. Looking forward to another pet ability soon, hopefully in 5.2. That waterjet thing sounded cool

I was going to reply, but Munchkin already have you the right answer, just to add, always pop alter time at 6 stacks with 2 AM procs and if you use the mana gem minor glyph user it right before AT as well.

Many of those parses are all old, prior to the nerf. Who knows how long they will stay there.

Deleted
    arcane suffer alot on heavy mov fights like the 2 bosses in heroic hof
    in a stand still situation its ok but not as fun as fire at least not for me.
    personalty i love fire and hate arcane

Since the hotfix I made a frost and an arcane spec and I switch spec depending on the encounters.
    I haven't tried both specs on all fights but I will usually switch to arcane for fights like Gara'jal, Elegon, Ambershaper, Grand Empress, Lei Shi, Tsulong, etc...
    Tried Arcane for Garalon this week, didn't work out very well but it was my bad, might work out if I don't die like an idiot (sucks for legs tho).

Edit: I have to say Arcane suprised me, especially since I didn't play it since the end of WotLK and my reforge isn't optimal for arcane (reforged for frost, so I do have a lot of haste at least)
    Last edited by Tartuk; 2012-12-07 at 06:02 PM.

Arcane will probably give you better feedback as to whether or not you're doing it well. If you play Arcane properly and consistently, you should usually see pretty similar numbers. That's a plus over Fire. With Fire you can play well but if you don't get big crits that warrant Combustion often enough, you'll see more swings in DPS fight to fight, or even pull to pull. Personally I think Frost is more about proc management. On movement fights or fights were you need to get from A to B, Frost gives you 3 GCD's to move without breaking your priority system. Ice Floes feels a little clunky. The 1 minute cooldown on it feels a little too long. Personally I take Scorch with Arcane.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Fire is still parsing as the top dps spec in the game, so idk how that is the ground.
    Sorry, but that's a load of rubbish. Fire in it's current state can't come close to evenly skilled/geared affliction warlocks or survival hunters for example.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    like why the hell you even write stuff like this without any source? you just like to spam and get that post count up?
    next time look something like http://simulationcraft.org/510/Raid_T14H.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mokal View Post
    like why the hell you even write stuff like this without any source? you just like to spam and get that post count up?
    Yeah cus fights are actually patchwork style on live, oh wait.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Sim is nice and all but it never got combustion right, or half the specs.
    Expect fire to still sim as top spec under perfect conditions if it actually simmed combustion right.
    Last edited by Skadovsk; 2012-12-07 at 06:46 PM.

Deleted
    Parses. PARSES. Not sims. Furthermore, don't ever look at sims for balance reasons. I thought people knew that by now.

If you're still topping your raids dps as fire, either you vastly outgear your team or they are doing something wrong.
    Your persistence of vision does not come without great sacrifice. Let go of the tangible mass of your mind, it is only an illusion. There is no escape.. For the soul burns on everlasting encapsulated within infinite time. A thousand year journey at the blink of an eye... Humanity is dust..