Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Arcane] Glyph of Arcane Power

Many top parse mages (excluding Batty) use the glyph. Batty obviously doesnt. Since he is the best PvE mage in the world, is there actual math to back up the benefit of GoAP and not using it?

Thank you.

Depending on the exact length of the fight, you can squeeze in more AP up time without the glyph than with it. The glyph is more convenience than any sort of dps increase since you can line all of your AP's with AT if you glyph it.

Quote Originally Posted by munchkin View Post
    Since he is the best [geared] PvE mage in the world
    yes he's good, but not the best. edited your quote to reflect that

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by thehordemage View Post
    yes he's good, but not the best. edited your quote to reflect that
    hes not even the best geared...

It's going to be a DPS increase sometimes because you're frontloading 2 APs at once, and you'll have all DPS procs + potentially hero up at the start in that case. Still not a huge deal. On the other hand, there might be some fights where a 20 second duration is overkill if there's lots of sporadic downtime in a fight.

Deleted
    The glyph is useless simply because of the fact that you'll go low on mana (below 90% as arcane) very quickly if you spam AB for example, hence a longer lasting AP won't benefit you but it would be a major dps loss instead. That's the reason behind Blatty not using it, and I trust his assesment at least for now, and after testing this out myself I believe him to be correct here.

So even if you can stand still and nuke your brains out using the glyph will still be bad due to the basic arcane mechanics (you do more dmg the more mana you have left).

15+ Year Old Account
    If you use AP with AT correctly... (6 stacks, 2 missile procs) then you won't lose mana.. and if you do, you'll just gain it back.

Why does everyone have a hard on for Blatty the second fire gets nerfed?

Quote Originally Posted by spaace View Post
    If you use AP with AT correctly... (6 stacks, 2 missile procs) then you won't lose mana.. and if you do, you'll just gain it back.

Why does everyone have a hard on for Blatty the second fire gets nerfed?
    I think it just has to do with him being a prominent member of the mage community giving those who play arcane someone to identify with, analyzing what he does can help theorycrafters figure out optimal rotations in near BiS gear

OT: I really like the glyph just because of how well it lines up with CDs and it just FEELS better to have more length (that's what she said?)
    That being said I have not been min maxing by fight with the glyph which I really could be, as it is less beneficial on fights with downtime etc

Deleted
    Even if you can keep your mana up for the full duration of the glyphed AP there's still a lower chance of you getting the full benefit of your trinket procs etc for it. One thing is also movement requirements on certain fights. It MIGHT be better on something where you can always stand still for such a long time but I'm kind of doubtful about that. It could possibly be better if you're going full haste instead of full mastery, or when you have extremely good gear. Not sure, might give the glyph a go next week.

I prefer it because with alter time you can have arcane power up through pretty much the full duration of a bloodlust. With mana gem there shouldn't be too much scorch in there unless you're godawfully unlucky with missiles procs.

Full duration of a jade serpent potion too.

I use the following macro along with a glyphed arcane power, and the minor mana gem glyph that gives mana back over 6 seconds

#showtooltip Alter Time
    /use managem
    /cast Arcane Power
    /cast Alter Time
    /cast Arcane Blast

Glyph of Arcane Power helps with CD management
    The minor mana gem glyph feels better during AP than a massive 45k mana hit, but thats just me it might not work for you.
    Overall I do much better with the glyph.

Blatty the best? Thats a joke...look at their kill videos and he is not even usually the tap DPSing mage, let alone top DPS in the raid

I think I found my answer....Im trying the haste build....so the AP glyph is better for haste builds?
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2013-01-26 at 07:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    I use the following macro along with a glyphed arcane power, and the minor mana gem glyph that gives mana back over 6 seconds

#showtooltip Alter Time
    /use managem
    /cast Arcane Power
    /cast Alter Time
    /cast Arcane Blast

Glyph of Arcane Power helps with CD management
    The minor mana gem glyph feels better during AP than a massive 45k mana hit, but thats just me it might not work for you.
    Overall I do much better with the glyph.
    I use this same exact technique. Loose mana glyph helps offset the longer duration of glyphed arcane power. Cheers!

The answer is it varies based on the fight.

I personally use Glyph of AP for fights with burn phases and go without on fights without burn phases.

Also, this is the same strategy Blatty uses as per his 6 hour Arcane vid guide so the OP is wrong.

Deleted
    It's not hard to do the maths to work out whether you're going to benefit from using the glyph or not.

It's not a change to the damage or the mana cost, it's simply a change to the duration; use it where you will get more uptime from it and don't use it where you will lose uptime, it's really as simple as that.

There are very few exceptions as there are very few fights this tier that require specific burn phases. Personally the only fight where I take Glyph is on Windlord Heroic and that's also because of the increased benefit from actually being able to burn for longer. This might change as I get further into HC progression, but in general use it when you'll gain an increased uptime benefit from it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    Blatty the best? Thats a joke...look at their kill videos and he is not even usually the tap DPSing mage, let alone top DPS in the raid

I think I found my answer....Im trying the haste build....so the AP glyph is better for haste builds?
    http://www.wow-heroes.com/character/...Nether/blatty/

Then again, he usually is one of the first mages to clear content. easier to get higher parses when you out gear the world

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by elpadrino293 View Post
    hes not even the best geared...
    He's got BiS gear, so it's kinda impossible to have better gear than him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Serene View Post
    It's not hard to do the maths to work out whether you're going to benefit from using the glyph or not.

It's not a change to the damage or the mana cost, it's simply a change to the duration; use it where you will get more uptime from it and don't use it where you will lose uptime, it's really as simple as that.

There are very few exceptions as there are very few fights this tier that require specific burn phases. Personally the only fight where I take Glyph is on Windlord Heroic and that's also because of the increased benefit from actually being able to burn for longer. This might change as I get further into HC progression, but in general use it when you'll gain an increased uptime benefit from it.
    Longer AP whilst hero is up?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasc View Post
    Longer AP whilst hero is up?
    Depends on Hero/BL/TW usage in a fight. If at the beginning yes you'll get slightly better usage - but there's also the tradeoff that in BL/TW you cast faster and therefore use more mana. Longer burn means more Scorch weaving and therefore not the best possible use out of AP.

It's always going to be 'situational' or even preferential. It's best to use when you're going to gain increase uptime on it.