New old build - what to do?

Ey guys. I've got a problem -i recently sold my amd 9750-based am2 machine which also happaned to be my gaming machine. Now i'm torn on what to get - on one hand, i've got an unused MSI 880GMA-E45 motherboard that's ready for an AM3 CPU, on the other hand, i've got just about enough money for a 6300 + 990FX Extreme3 Asrock mobo, which begs the question - do I go for the AM3+ CPU / mobo or do I just get an AM3 CPU the like of the 965 or 1045T, and plan my next build for 2014/2015 when DDR4 memory comes out, since that seems mostly like a good idea, mainly since i get to feed my RGAS till then.
    "Marketing is what you do when your product is no good."

If its ideally for gaming you might want to look at getting an i3 3220 and an h77 board which you can get just as cheap. If its intended to be gaming+ more multithreaded actions you good go the fx4xxx or fx6xxx route. Or you could save up a little longer and get an i5/z77 combo . I really wouldnt wait on building a computer for years for one part (the ddr4) lol. If it was waiting a month or 3 or 4 months I could wait but waiting possibly 2 years for the market. Plus its bound to be a tad expensive. I remember my sticks of 4gb of DDR3 was like $135 bucks when it came out lol then like a year later the 4gb dropped down to like $25 so i bought another set.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

Quote Originally Posted by demonskies View Post
    If its ideally for gaming you might want to look at getting an i3 3220 and an h77 board which you can get just as cheap. If its intended to be gaming+ more multithreaded actions you good go the fx4xxx or fx6xxx route. Or you could save up a little longer and get an i5/z77 combo . I really wouldnt wait on building a computer for years for one part (the ddr4) lol. If it was waiting a month or 3 or 4 months I could wait but waiting possibly 2 years for the market. Plus its bound to be a tad expensive. I remember my sticks of 4gb of DDR3 was like $135 bucks when it came out lol then like a year later the 4gb dropped down to like $25 so i bought another set.
    Im looking towards the 6300 + a lower end 970 based motherboard right now.

So im just not gonna pitch the intel idea anymore because i feel your pretty set on a cheaper amd setup . By lower end are you saying by price, its seems most the 970 boards are all between the 70-100 dollar mark right now. Out of those boards found id probably pick this Asrock 970 extreme 3 $84 or Asus m5a97 $89 in the lower end and get a decent cooler and oc the 6300 if you feel comfortable. I wouldnt go to low end because you kinda get what you pay for.
    CPU:i5 4670k@4.3Ghz GPU:Gigabyte GTX760 WF3 Mobo:Asrock Z87E-ITX RAM:8Gb GSkill Ares@1600MhzCase:Atomic Orange Bit Fenix Prodigy Cooling: Corsair H100i HDD:1Tb WD Cav Black SSD: Samsung 830 128Gb PSU:Seasonic M2II620 KB:Razer Black Widow Mouse:Razer Naga 2014

So im just not gonna pitch the intel idea anymore because i feel your pretty set on a cheaper amd setup . By lower end are you saying by price, its seems most the 970 boards are all between the 70-100 dollar mark right now. Out of those boards found id probably pick this Asrock 970 extreme 3 $84 or Asus m5a97 $89 in the lower end and get a decent cooler and oc the 6300 if you feel comfortable. I wouldnt go to low end because you kinda get what you pay for.
    Yeah I know. But where i live i buy my components at a decent price (much higher than the american one, though) and i can return any faulty products in 10 minutes of walking, so if i wasnt happy with my motherboard, i'd fry it. I was set on the 990fx extreme 3 but the 970 might be a better choice - right now i have my eye on a GB-970A-DS3, which is about half of what the other board costs, are there any particullar problems with this mobo?

As far as intel goes - I thought i'd made it obvious that i'm heavily biased towards AMD
    Last edited by Keller; 2012-12-08 at 09:03 PM.

Kinda mixed reviews on that board. I would see no reason why it wouldnt work for what you are sounded like your expecting. And even if it was doa or something your 10 mins away and could easily get a refund if it wasnt up to par and order or purchase something better. It looks like a pretty solid board though with a good amount of features. I normally just tend to recommend Asrock and Asus although my wife has a biostar in her machine that came in a combo the tz77xe4 and hers runs like a champ so it actually put alot more faith in biostar for me. But gigabyte by no means is a bad company I've just never personally used a gigabyte mobo.

Kinda mixed reviews on that board. I would see no reason why it wouldnt work for what you are sounded like your expecting. And even if it was doa or something your 10 mins away and could easily get a refund if it wasnt up to par and order or purchase something better. It looks like a pretty solid board though with a good amount of features. I normally just tend to recommend Asrock and Asus although my wife has a biostar in her machine that came in a combo the tz77xe4 and hers runs like a champ so it actually put alot more faith in biostar for me. But gigabyte by no means is a bad company I've just never personally used a gigabyte mobo.
    Alright - as far as i was aware gigabyte, asus and msi were the go-to brands for mobos. Biostar and asrock, for what it's worth, seem to be a bit less for the same features ( which is good for low-budgeteers like me ! ).

One more question - are waterblocks their own system? If i have a watercooling loop i just need to get another waterblock to make it work with the current socket and not replace the entire damn thing, right?

if its something like a corsair closed loop it should have came with both brackets for amd/intel or different clips that were to be added. If the socket is the same as your old equipment you should be able to use the same block. But outside of that I dont have to much knowledge on custom watercooling setups.