Poll: Which Era Was The Best?

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    For me it is Classic. The game was new and the content was huge. Tenths of zones to explore and quest in. Very little hand-holding. Things to actually discover and not lead to. Racial campaigns, content that was not almost all about raiding,, class quests, lots of things to do and not just grind stuff. It was the best time for me. Raiding is nice, but nowhere near as satisfying as just playing out in the world. And that is what Classic did the best.

Have to vote vanilla. Not because I thought it was the best expansion. But it was my first mmo, and nothing will ever beat the feeling I had during the first part of vanilla! Nostalgia ftw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kissme View Post
    Rose tinted glasses were used on chickens so that they wouldn't kill each other. They effectively made the world seem to be a better place than it was as they masked blood and thus bypassed certain instinctive responses. Literally, there were rose tinted glasses.

There are also studies that show that people tend to forget minor inconveniences as time goes on, but hold on to good memories.

Whether or not that mentality matters is more important than whether it exists. Basically, nostalgia simply means you remember more of the good than the bad from a period of time so your overall opinion of the time may be more positive than the actuallity deserves. However, nostalgia should apply equally over time to many periods of time. The lack of nostalgia for certain periods of time is far more condemning of those periods than it's existence for others. Nostalgia is a good thing, if you don't remember a time nostalgically, that probably means that time had less good than bad, or at least less memorable good than bad. And if something isn't memorable, then it's far less important than that which is.
    The truth is Blizzard Entertainment backs every argument about the past with this mentality that peoples view of their past experiences isn't the same as reality. Blizzard uses this phrase as an excuse to produce worse content and still please it's mindless fan base into believing that the past was worse than they remembered it.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Peso View Post
    The truth is Blizzard Entertainment backs every argument about the past with this mentality that peoples view of their past experiences isn't the same as reality. Blizzard uses this phrase as an excuse to produce worse content and still please it's mindless fan base into believing that the past was worse than they remembered it.
    im not going to jump into a consipracy theory rant or anything but this sort of makes sense. just about any post i read on the official forums from someone saying they enjoyed this xpac over that xpac is usually met by a blue saying they simply have rose tinted glasses on.

That's why they bring witnesses in on court cases: because anyone worth their salt in law knows that both sides involved in the altercation are going to be biased for their own personal gain. As a personal example: I loved BC. It's when I started, it's when the game mystified me and I had a lot of good times in BC. The lore was unbelievably good, and the content was incredibly variant. I didn't vote for BC because I do my best to lean one way or another, and I distinctly remember the absolute beast of trying to cull enough people together to get a steady, decent twenty-five man group together because of the content gating, the absurd length of the attunements, having to switch my main because being a class with reliable CC was paramount to everything else and the utter broken state of PvP.

The reality was that BC was decent, and I had an overall decent time with it. Did some people love it way more than me? Duh, and obviously others hated it. We don't have to agree on how it 'felt', but we should at least come to some kind of consensus that there was bad stuff and good stuff, and work on hashing out which side won out over the other. As for the actual 'worseness' of the game, each expansion is mechanically, graphically and auditorily better than the previous one, which means by default each new expansion is 'better' than the old one; parts of the player-base might not agree on the direction or style that Blizzard went for, but it's illogical to think Blizzard wouldn't update the game at every major expansion.

This is a change in the industry as a whole though, not something exclusive to Blizzard.
    It's actually nothing to do with gaming at all; the industry is reacting to the societal changes which are forcing ease on everything that can be eased up, which lowers collective skill/intelligence on average. If Blizzard didn't follow the trend, they'd lose a bulk of their revenue. You can't make a niche game styled like the games back in the 80s with relentless (but fair) difficulty like Super Meat Boy when modern games like CoD and Battlefield have setting for 'auto aim' (because in war, guns aim themselves). I could go into a dissertation about this, but I'll spare everyone the boredom.

Suffice it to say, it's not going to change until the populace starts to buck up and bring a little Darwinian evolution theory back. I'm not saying we should start casting off potential morons in droves, but there has to be a definitive limit where someone sucking won't be tolerated, which forces the person in question to grow or wither away. Sure it's a cold viewpoint, but it does society and, by extension gaming, no good to keep handing out trophies/achievements for things that are essentially participation.

I love Wrath of the Lich King. The zones were awesome, I loved going back to Naxx, Ulduar was amazing and so was ICC. DKs are cool, not my main class or even really one of my main alts but their skills are enjoyable. Just an overall good expansion.

Voted MoP, because it's objectively the only correct answer.

i'm surprised that wotlk is leading this thing. Always felt that the totc/icecrown period which lasted a year and a half was an absolutely dreadful time for the game.

Deleted
    Classic/Vanilla By far!

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by wildemu View Post
    i'm surprised that wotlk is leading this thing. Always felt that the totc/icecrown period which lasted a year and a half was an absolutely dreadful time for the game.
    The only part of Wrath that was bad was the 3.2 patch cycle imo. People only remember ICC at the 35% buff, but up to the 10-15% buff range the raid was still decently challenging for the average raider. If you take 3.2 and add the 2 shelved raids (Balargarde Fortress raid, Zul'Drak raid) then you've got a great patch, but they didn't add them in causing that patch cycle to be terrible.

Wrath of the lich king! Hands down!

Quote Originally Posted by errosync View Post
    It's actually nothing to do with gaming at all; the industry is reacting to the societal changes which are forcing ease on everything that can be eased up, which lowers collective skill/intelligence on average. If Blizzard didn't follow the trend, they'd lose a bulk of their revenue. You can't make a niche game styled like the games back in the 80s with relentless (but fair) difficulty like Super Meat Boy when modern games like CoD and Battlefield have setting for 'auto aim' (because in war, guns aim themselves). I could go into a dissertation about this, but I'll spare everyone the boredom.

Suffice it to say, it's not going to change until the populace starts to buck up and bring a little Darwinian evolution theory back. I'm not saying we should start casting off potential morons in droves, but there has to be a definitive limit where someone sucking won't be tolerated, which forces the person in question to grow or wither away. Sure it's a cold viewpoint, but it does society and, by extension gaming, no good to keep handing out trophies/achievements for things that are essentially participation.
    I call BS ... why are MOBA games so popular these days ? If you suck at them you get trash talked by your own team into oblivion. All it takes is 1-2 mistakes in line that snowballs enemy player. Also I get the feeling that the new generation of players when they hear you have to grind this and this to get to raid in this game they will laugh at you ... grinding is very much what MMOs were about in the past and it's not what will carry them into the future.

My part in this story has been decided. And I will play it well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since MoP is a little too young at the moment, making it uncomparable with the rest of the expansions, I think Wotlk would be my favorite. It had awesome athmosphere and great raids (except ToC, which was a little meh. The boss fights were nice though). I had the best experiences and most fun in the earlier versions of wow, especially vanilla, but that's thanks to everything being so new.

For me its a really tough choice. One part of me wants to say BC and the other wants to say Wotlk. I think for the sake of the poll I am going to pick Wotlk because of the people I raided with at that time.

However if MoP keeps going in the direction that I think it is, it might end up being one of my favorite expansions.

10+ Year Old Account
    The only part of Wrath that was bad was the 3.2 patch cycle imo.
    Only time I took a break from wow in 6 years... and I still adore the game. So that says something, I guess. ^^

Going with Wotlk in terms of atmosphere [sceneny/setting+music], and storyline. Best one so far imo.

TBC, Kael'thas + Lady Vashj. Most epic raids and first (guild) kills I ever got. Nothing can compare to this anymore.

WotLK was is my favorite expansion. Would have been perfect if DK's weren't disgustingly OP for the length of it.

But I started in BC so that xpac will always have a special place in my heart. I just wish I was a better player back then. If I had what I know now back in those days I would be a multiglad by now.
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldjman View Post
    Warriors viable in multiple comps? lolno. Any high rated warrior falls under the following;
    1) wintraded.
    2) very high mmr at the start of the season, so they fought their way to glad at 5 am vs 2k teams.
    3) has their connections from previous seasons carry their class.
    Also, we most certainly weren't the most op in S9. Dk's were a better warrior in every aspect. Thanks for trying though.

I still miss vanilla WoW. I picked the game up mid '06 and fell in love with UBRS runs, the epic 5-man BRD instance, I just loved it. I wish I could do it all over again, except this time I wouldn't waste time trying to validate my DPSadin, I'd just go mage

Quote Originally Posted by Dacien View Post
    I still miss vanilla WoW. I picked the game up mid '06 and fell in love with UBRS runs, the epic 5-man BRD instance, I just loved it. I wish I could do it all over again, except this time I wouldn't waste time trying to validate my DPSadin, I'd just go mage
    Being one of the few with the seal of ascension enabling you to actually do UBRS, that was truly epic.