Page 1 of 3
LastLast

[Anime] Looking for an Anime

I have never been much of an anime fan, but after 3 days of insane work at school I decided to take a few days off. A friend recommend that I watch Code Geass and I fell in love with it. It was easily the one of the best things I have ever seen with the best ending I have ever seen. My questions is what other animes should I watch? I have watched the usual ones like DBZ but outside of that I have no experience with them, so what would be a good starting point?

Any advice would be appreciated.

What sort of anime are you looking for?

10+ Year Old Account
    Puella Magi Madoka Magica
    The Melencholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    Evangelion
    Last Exile (NOT Fam the silver wing)
    Stiens;gate
    Death Note
    Black Lagoon
    Welcome to the NHK

That should keep you busy for a while , btw they're in order so start with Madoka then work down to NHK. They're all of varying genre, so if you don't like one skip on to the next and it may be more to your taste.

little tip though, FINISH MADOKA the ending is even more epic than Code Geass, and I didn't think that could be topped for me (it's actually been beaten a few times now , Stiens;gate being another series to top it.)
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    if you loved codegeass youll also love death note. it has the same kind of psychologial warfare and a very good thought out story.
    some other things i personally would recomend is Full Metal Alchemist 2/Bortherhood (the seond version that keeps the mangastory, much better then the first/ "original" show)
    Its more like classical fantasy stuff.

also Btoom! and Zetsuen no tempest is good, but not yet completed, still some episodes left till its finished

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Stiens;gate being another series to top it.)
    Loved Steins;Gate too, but the ending felt a little too rushed, i would have loved if they would have done about 10 episodes or so more to clarify some more things and/or show the different futures.
    Last edited by mmoc7197d3f1cb; 2012-12-09 at 01:53 AM.

Ty for all the advice guys Ill take a look at them all
    Quote Originally Posted by Sythari View Post
    What sort of anime are you looking for?
    And honestly I don't mind I have no real experience watching them in the past so I am up for anything

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Are you really from Ireland? Just curious is all.

I love doing recommendations for anime. I got hooked on the first big wave of anime to arrive in America (early 2000's) when Dubbing series was still an unpolished art. Since you're unspecific in your tastes for anime, I will cover most of the bases, skipping gag series that lack plot, fanservice series that lack character depth.

The old School

Trigun. Dubbed in English, both the dub and subbed version are incredible, it's EVERYTHING good about anime all in one 26 episode run. Guns, gals, heroes, villains, and good acting from start to finish. Seinen niche (Seinen is term for series aimed at late teens)

S-Cry-Ed: Not a series praised for smart dialogue, it's pretty much non stop rivalry driven fighting, but hey, that's entertaining too. Does the Red Guy Blue Guy trope better than any other anime I can think of, good superpower fight scenes. Action niche.

Eureka 7 Psalm of the Planets: I'd call it the foil to Neon Genesis Evangelion, it's more light hearted. Teenage coming of age story, with aliens, giant robots, and sky surfing. Shounen niche (Shounen is young man in Japanese, it's a common description for anime for teenage males, typically these are the most popular series)

Ouran High School Host Club: Geeky girl gets into rich kids school on scholarship, walks into the school's "Host Club" (kind of like a dating service, guys take care of ladies), shenanigans ensue. Comedy/Drama/Romance. Someone else called out Haruhi so I'd better throw this in.

Full Metal Alchemist, Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood: One of the most beloved series in anime both in and out of Japan, the original series was remade almost a decade after the original run due to popular demand. Shounen fantasy adventure, one of the best. Shounen niche

One Piece: Anime about Pirates and following your dreams. One of the Shounen Big Three and the only one of those that I think has stood the test of time. It's a terrific series for comedy, but can pull of top notch fight scenes as well. Shounen niche.

Newer (2008 ~~)

Toradora!: A high school romance between a thug-looking nice guy, and a palmtop tiger (short girl with raging anger management issues). Everything you can do RIGHT in a television comedy/drama/romance. Romance niche.

Angel Beats: When you die, heaven is apparently a Japanese High school with a killer student council president out to shank you with a beam sword. Just kidding, Angel Beats is a moving Shounen series that looks at life, death, the afterlife, and just what is meaningful in everything. I cried like a sissy, laughed like a hyena, cheered, and hissed throughout, it is an anime that covers ALL good elements of the art, the only downside is how incredibly short the series is.

Katanagatari: Loosely historically based, Katanagatari throws conventional anime drawing style to the curb and kinda just does as it pleases. Snappy dialogue, over the top characters, and brutal and bloody action sequences in each episode. A personal favorite of mine for breaking the mold. Historical niche

Anohana, The Flower we Saw that Day: A group of teenagers are visited by the ghost a friend of theirs who died many years ago, who helps them in little ways to keep moving forward in life. Another series that made me cry like a bitch. Coming of age niche.

Basquash: Basketball, PLAYED BY GIANT FREAKING ROBOTS. Enjoy. Sports??/Mechas niche

Future Diary: God is "dying" and decrees that a bunch of humans must play a survival game using diaries that can partially predict the future to determine who will take over as God. This series is proof you don't need superpowers to be shit-your-pants terrifying, you just need a psychotic stalker girlfriend with a wood cutting hatchet ... Mystery/Horror niche.

Current (2012 and ongoing series)

Sword Art Online: Anime about mmorpgs, based on the light novel series written by Reki Kawahara (worth reading). Incredible novels, incredible anime. Fantasy/Romance/Shounen.

Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun: Smart but socially frigid girl meets Smarter socially backwards guy, shenanigans ensue. Romantic Comedy.

Psycho-Pass: CSI some 30 years in the future, where man's daily lives are instructed by machines and you can be thrown in jail just for being "psychologically unstable". Futuristic/Seinen.

I also second everything listed by Gallahadd but didn't want to sound redundant. Just giving you a bigger list of options to work with.
    Last edited by Tsuna; 2012-12-09 at 02:16 PM.
    Naftc, "Hunters are the cheapest class in game and when played right are more deadly than a train plowing through a field of bunnies covered in napalm"

@Tsuna, Yes I am. I am studying in Sligo atm. And ty Ill start to check some of them out

10+ Year Old Account
    Basquash is probably one of the most epic series ever.
    I'd like to add Full Metal Panic to the give it a go list.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tsuna View Post
    Sword Art Online: Anime about mmorpgs, based on the light novel series written by Reki Kawahara (worth reading). Incredible novels, incredible anime. Fantasy/Romance/Shounen.
    i have to disagree on that. i love sao too, but its more a lovestory and mmo is just the setting where it takes place. at least it shifts to that after a couple of episodes.
    still good show and some nice swordfights but its realy more about love then mmo/swordfighting

Quote Originally Posted by Syl3r View Post
    i have to disagree on that. i love sao too, but its more a lovestory and mmo is just the setting where it takes place. at least it shifts to that after a couple of episodes.
    still good show and some nice swordfights but its realy more about love then mmo/swordfighting
    I must admit, I'm semi-disappointed by SAO's second half of the series. It kind of threw every possible trope into a sister-that's-not-actually-your-sister blender and went afk.

First 12 or so episodes were grandiose as hell though. I was just hoping it would have expanded on the SAO premise even further, perhaps have an even more expansive 'end game' to it with tangible losses and victories. I even liked the first half's conclusion, but since Alfheim, it's just been 'meh'. Aside from the delicious battle sequences anyway.

Deleted
    Movie called Sword of the stranger, amazing film

Deleted
    Go watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, it's worth it! :P

Quote Originally Posted by Terralon View Post
    Go watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, it's worth it! :P
    That's not an anime.

That's a direct invitation for psychological molestation.

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Quote Originally Posted by Yogg-Saron, God of Death View Post
    That's not an anime.

That's a direct invitation for psychological molestation.
    I thought the god of death would approve. Though I suppose it could do with more tentacles.

People have to remember that what is epic to yourself doesn't mean OP will like it.
    Though I have to agree with Death Note, can't go wrong with that one if you liked Code Geass!

To get back in the thread.

You should try Fate/Zero, it's amazing.

Guilty Crown is also decent, and so is Deadman Wonderland. (inferior to its manga though)

Thanks for the awesome sig, Lady Amuno.

Seeing as DBZ is on your list (of two anime) I bet you'd enjoy Fairy Tail. It's an anime with a lot of action using magic and I love it, it does have a lot of fan service though (read girls with big, big boobs but not too perverse) On the same note Dragonball (before Z) is pretty good too, a lot less yelling but more fun and it helps understand some of the characters that are present in Z but don't actually do anything.

I second Death Note and One Piece loved them both. Death Note has a lot of intellectual battles like Code Geass, but then without the mecha. One Piece is kind of goofy like DBZ with lots of action and extreme character development.

Of course there's also Naruto, it has some good arcs but found it rather boring at times and stuff didn't get explained properly from time to time. But I enjoyed it when I just turned off my brain, the same thing I have to do to watch most Hollywood movies without starting to cry pitying humanity. If you want to use your brain and something that's about as long as Code Geass, go for Death Note.

Ty guys for all the advice. Started watching death note and I am really enjoying it. Due to recommendation from friends and this thread going to watch fairy tale next!!

Ty again

I'm surprised the thread made it this far with no Ghost in the Shell nod. Both the movies and the series are awesome. That and FMA made my entry to Anime.

I saw Fate/Zero recommended above, but I honestly wouldn't jump into that without watching Fate/Stay Night first. Zero is a prequel, but a lot of it is done under the assumption you've seen Night. Zero will also spoil some of the good points of Night if watched first. Fate/Stay Night was originally a Visual Novel with multiple endings, the TV anime only follows one of those routes. There is a movie called Unlimited Blade Works (again, should be watched after "Night") that shows one of the other routes and reveals a lot of backstory one of the other important characters.

A lot of people are hitting on series, I'll hit a couple movies instead.

Eve no Jikan (Time of Eve) - Philosophical elements similar to Ghost in the Shell (discussing Androids and Sentience). There is a movie and a OVA version of the series, it tells the same story but the movie is newer and a bit more "complete".

The Girl Who Lept Through Time - Love story with time travel

Grave of the Fireflies - Just a classic, emotional movie.

Kara no Kyoukai (Garden of Sinners) - This is a 7 movie "series" I found it very enjoyable. It works out similar length to a 25 episode series, but the production value was noticeably higher.

some of the recommendations here are not healthy for someone who is stressed from work. (Evangelion, Grave of the Fireflies, Welcome to the NHK)