Refreshing DoTs When Dark Soul is Ending

As affliction if there is around 2-3 sec left on Dark Soul and I recast my DoTs, will those Dots receive the haste benefit through their whole duration or just till Dark Soul ends?

According to the tooltip on the Dotted mob, the haste does not last the whole duration just when Dark Soul ends.

For example, when I cast Agony it ticks every 1.71 sec and with Dark Soul it ticks every 1.31 sec. I recasted agony right before Dark Soul ended under the impression that it would tick for 1.31 sec the whole duration but it did not, it reverted back to 1.71 sec once Dark Soul ended.

Is this just a tooltip error or does Haste update dynamically? I was under the impression it did not.

tooltip error,
    As affliction if there is around 2-3 sec left on Dark Soul and I recast my DoTs, will those Dots receive the haste benefit through their whole duration
    yes until you reapply the dots.

DoT's benefit from buffs from when you recast them with the buff active to when you recast them without the buff active.

With debuffs they benefit for the duration of the debuff without needing to recast.

Deleted
    Mmm everyone seems pretty sure so most likely I'm completely wrong. But when i lose haste buffs the durations between ticks on my dots resets. Eg when hero/time warp fades my doom ticks on a mouse over go from 9.6 secds back up to 12.37 seconds. Is that just the game being wrong?

Yes your tooltip will update dynamically to haste changes like that. The actual dots took a snapshot of your buffs when they were applied and will act as if those buffs were up for their duration.

Deleted
    Right, so even if the haste buff falls off and tooltip updates dynamically, the dot will still be ticking as if i still had the haste buff. For instance, if I pandemic-stacked a dark soul'd doom in the very last second of heroism. Would I still get doom heroism hasted for the next minute 30 seconds?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you haven't seen it yet, the AffDots addon is amazing - it shows you the damage your current dots are doing as well as what they would do if you were to recast them. It factors in trinket/lightweave/windsong procs as well as DS to inform your decision on whether or not to reapply,

Quote Originally Posted by Euphonious Monk View Post
    If you haven't seen it yet, the AffDots addon is amazing - it shows you the damage your current dots are doing as well as what they would do if you were to recast them. It factors in trinket/lightweave/windsong procs as well as DS to inform your decision on whether or not to reapply,
    Well not from Dark Soul, all the other yes but when I pop Dark Soul the colour remains "red" on Affdots.

Thanks for the clarification guys! Looks like it was just a tooltip error.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavalheiro View Post
    Well not from Dark Soul, all the other yes but when I pop Dark Soul the colour remains "red" on Affdots.
    Perhaps you have a bugged version or you're using a version that doesn't update the colour if the increase in DoT damage is under a certain percentage.

Affdots doesn't look at buffs or procs it looks at the damage of your DoT's (which are inherently based on procs/buffs) so it should always turn blue/green when you pop Dark Soul.

Also if you have a Dark Soul/SB:SS macro, your original DoT's are already buffed by Dark Soul, therefore your Affdots window would remain red/yellow until you receive more procs/buffs
    Last edited by Xandy; 2012-12-11 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Xandy View Post
    Perhaps you have a bugged version or you're using a version that doesn't update the colour if the increase in DoT damage is under a certain percentage.

Affdots doesn't look at buffs or procs it looks at the damage of your DoT's (which are inherently based on procs/buffs) so it should always turn blue/green when you pop Dark Soul.
    Dark Soul (Misery) doesn't change the damage of your dots only how frequently they do it. I believe Affdots looks at the damage of your next dot not your dps.

Hmm... I thought it looked at ticks as well, because my windows always turn blue/green the moment I pop Dark Soul. I'll have to test it later

Quote Originally Posted by Xandy View Post
    Hmm... I thought it looked at ticks as well, because my windows always turn blue/green the moment I pop Dark Soul. I'll have to test it later
    Maybe you are really good and ALWAYS pop dark soul with a damage buff!

Quote Originally Posted by Ddeaderthanu View Post
    Maybe you are really good and ALWAYS pop dark soul with a damage buff!
    Actually I just remembered that I have Blood Fury macro'd into Dark Soul so.. yeah derp

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddeaderthanu View Post
    Dark Soul (Misery) doesn't change the damage of your dots only how frequently they do it. I believe Affdots looks at the damage of your next dot not your dps.
    This is incorrect. As far as I understand DS Misery increases damage of your dots by means of "adding" additional ticks for almost the same dot duration. In other words during the same 18 seconds your corruption ticks 13 times instead of 12 and thus the overall damage increases - that is why affdots changes the color.

Quote Originally Posted by David Cavalheiro View Post
    It could happen when despite casting DS affdots shows your dots red or yellow. This happens if your current dots were cast under BL, thus their damage is higher and/or your dots were buffed by intellect procs/potion.
    Last edited by Daggot Ur; 2012-12-11 at 04:11 PM.

AffDots not showing DS as damage increase is most likely because of "Color switch" option, by default your stats have to be 20% better for red to turn into blue. It is calculating dot dps, so DS should always show as damage increse, even if no additional ticks are gained.