Poll: Do you suffer from clinical depression?

Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Question Do you consider yourself in depression?

Clinical Depression or severe depression that is. Not short-term depression. I just realized most of the people in my life (friends & family) are depressed including me. I've already suffered from clinical depression but seeing everyone around me depressed as well is so hard to live with. Is anyone seeing this with them?

It's all in your head.

Quote Originally Posted by Choptimus View Post
    It's all in your head.
    What such an ignorant thing to say. Clinical depression is a very real thing.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as clinical depression is a real thing, there's so much perceived depression in our everyday lives. We currently live in an era where we're expected to be happy which is actually making us more depressed as ever in history. The most common form of depression is the Single Causation fallacy where one thing leads to another... as example, and mostly in teengers in highschool or university such as myself:

I'm really sad and feeling low, depressed people feel sad and low, therefore I must be depressed.

To get back on topic, no I'm not depressed, but I assume you'll find that this pool contains a large variety of yes for multiple reasons... I just wrote an essay on perceived happiness, I highly recommend googling the author of one reading kotchmedova (? spelling).
    Hydrogen the Undying
    Ry, Hellscream's Downfall
    Economics, Champion of Ulduar
    Dissonance - We raid mornings and stuff. Dissonanceguild.com (US 186, US #3 morning guild)
    Twitter: Ry_walk. Economics Major

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bigfootbigd View Post
    I think you missed the obvious joke.

No, I wouldn't consider myself depressed - I once did, and was diagnosed as being depressed... Turns out all I needed to do was stop blaming chemical imbalances, other people, the time of year or circumstances out of my control and get a grip of myself. Took ownership of my problems, realised that I was in the situation I was in because of the decisions that I was making and turned my life around.

I'm now rather happy!

Ok.

Depression comes from your toe.

Stop mad.

It's all in your head.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm very sorry to put it bluntly to you, but this is a GAMING forum...What did you expect from people here ?!

Clinical depression is a serious problem, you just came to the wrong place to have a serious conversation about it.

Not to mention people have recovered from "clinical depression" through sheer willpower alone, instead of medication.

It is actually all in your head though, that's fact.

Not to mention people have recovered from "clinical depression" through sheer willpower alone, instead of medication.

It is actually all in your head though, that's fact.
    Thread wasnt about whether depression is in your head or not, but whether if you are in that situation. And you're getting actual depression with short-term depression mixed up. Im not talking about a bad breakup, but what if your whole family was murdered and lost everything? All in your head still?

Quote Originally Posted by Somebodyelse View Post
    I'm very sorry to put it bluntly to you, but this is a GAMING forum...What did you expect from people here ?!

Clinical depression is a serious problem, you just came to the wrong place to have a serious conversation about it.
    Except this is the off-topic forum and this forum also talks about relgion, politics, war, etc which are all pretty serious subjects as well if you ask me

10+ Year Old Account
    I think he was making a funny. It IS in your head. (Chemicals in your brain)

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Deleted
    Thread wasnt about whether depression is in your head or not, but whether if you are in that situation. And you're getting actual depression with short-term depression mixed up. Im not talking about a bad breakup, but what if your whole family was murdered and lost everything? All in your head still?
    That would most likely be diagnosed as PTSD not depression and yes, the root of your depression would develop in your head. Depression isn't something you catch from an external source, it also doesn't manifest in some far flung corner of your body. It starts within your head, and is treated as such.

Just because "it's all in your head" doesn't mean it isn't real.

I'm not depressed. I might have been at some time. But never anything serious. Never really seen anyone be truly depressed either. To me, if you can display emotions other than sadness then you aren't depressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by raechuul View Post
    I think he was making a funny. It IS in your head. (Chemicals in your brain)
    Except I was not asking whether depression is in your head or not? Since it's been researched.
    Point being clinical depression isnt something you cant just snap out of your head, because it just comes back for most people. But for the most case most people do make out of it with some help. but thats not even the point of the thread, point is to see how people are in this economy and lifestyle
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2012-12-09 at 08:36 PM.

As someone who's been diagnosed as clinically depressed for nearly a decade, I'd still have to agree with Chop that it's all in a person's head. That's not to say they don't have reason to feel the way they do, and it's not an easy thing to get through either way, but medication is just a weak temporary crutch, not a fix. The only fix is personal willpower.

Deleted
    As I see it, depression comes from undeserved emotional pain. And since my gf left me without a reason and I'm one of those introverted people, there you have it.

I've lost family and friends over the years, a few to natural stuff a few to far more malicious/nasty things.

It's post-traumatic stress, and is a form of shock.

Depression is in your head, and is an internal battle.

The fact you even mention "bad breakup" within your serious post about depression shows that you're either trolling, don't understand what depression is, or just don't have a lot of experience in life with anything. Why do I say this? If you think "bad breakup" = depression then you are completely trivialising "clinical depression" as a real diagnosable disorder.

10+ Year Old Account
    Except I was not asking whether depression is in your head or not? Since it's been researched.
    Point being clinical depression isnt something you cant just snap out of your head, because it just comes back for most people. But for the most case most people do make out of it with some help. but thats not even the point of the thread, point is to see how people are in this economy and lifestyle
    Right... that is the point of joking.

I have been depressed before for several years, and I never got treatment but I myself "snapped" out of it. It was gradual. Once in a blue moon I feel depressed, but only for like 10 minutes, and then I find a way to distract myself and forget about those feelings.

Icon made by leia06 from livejournal.com.

Deleted
    It's all in your head.
    Yes, it is. That's why it's called mental illness.

And, yeah, I'm on a prescription for it at the moment, but I'm actually not feeling depressed at all really. Largely thanks to the happy pills. It's supposedly genetic and both my parents got it so it was bound to happen eventually. Especially when you consider that 1/3 people are going to suffer clinical depression at some point in their lives.

The fact you even mention "bad breakup" within your serious post about depression shows that you're either trolling, don't understand what depression is, or just don't have a lot of experience in life with anything. Why do I say this? If you think "bad breakup" = depression then you are completely trivialising "clinical depression" as a real diagnosable disorder.
    Did you even read what i wrote? I said "I'm NOT talking about a bad breakup." derp

Quote Originally Posted by Baiyn View Post
    Yes, it is. That's why it's called mental illness.

And, yeah, I'm on a prescription for it at the moment, but I'm actually not feeling depressed at all really. Largely thanks to the happy pills. It's supposedly genetic and both my parents got it so it was bound to happen eventually. Especially when you consider that 1/3 people are going to suffer clinical depression at some point in their lives.
    Have you tried changing your lifestyle?

Dump the PC, change your diet, get involved in new hobbies, get out and meet people?

Works 9 times out of 10.