Thread: Macro question

10+ Year Old Account

Macro question

What all can be put on a macro spell wise. Like when people press one button and several things happen at once, what's the limitations and rules to this cus I'm sure you can't just have anything on it. Is it like one healing spell one trinket and something else or whatever I hope someone gets what I mean Lol

Basically anything that doesn't automate anything in game-play, and multiple (as long as it can fit) things that are off-GCD/don't share a CD. 1 key press = 1 Action otherwise.

Deleted
    One spell or item use that is on the GCD. Even if the action fails to cast (on cooldown/out of range/etc), any other GCD actions below it will fail to execute.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry I feel dumb but I'm not even sure which spells are on the gcd and i have a couple toons I'm extremely uninformed on this subject for example purpose I'm recently playing holy pally

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 04:18 PM ----------

How long is a global cool down? Just one instant spell right

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 04:22 PM ----------

So I can do anything that is instant on a macro like
    Shield
    Renew
    Prayer of mending
    Etc

Deleted
    The GCD, or global cooldown is the period after casting a spell where you cannot cast another spell. Most regular spells (PW:S, Renew, PoM etc.) are on the GCD. The GCD is 1.5 seconds (I think) baseline, reduced by haste - for example, when spamming renew, you can still only cast one every 1.x seconds (depending on haste) - that's the GCD working. You can only have one spell that triggers this GCD in a macro.

Most self-buff cooldowns do not trigger the GCD - Inner Focus, for example (do holy priests have IF? I'm going off of Cataclysm info here.) Thus, these can be macroed alongside GCD spells - for example, the following would cast IF whenever available and serve as a regular Greater Heal button otherwise.
    Code:
    /cast Inner Focus
    /cast Greater Heal

10+ Year Old Account
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Macro-Edition. This thread right here in the first page like all the rules words like unprotected scripts and stuff I have no idea what any of this is. How do I get on this roped of knowledge from the ground up plz someone point me in the right direction the only macro I've ever made was. A /yell roar or some crap for bgs

Deleted
    For holy paladins, I think Divine Favor is off the GCD, while Holy Shock is on the GCD - for example, you need to wait for the GCD to pass between casting Holy Shock and Judgment.

---------- Post added 2012-12-09 at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzin View Post
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-Macro-Edition. This thread right here in the first page like all the rules words like unprotected scripts and stuff I have no idea what any of this is. How do I get on this roped of knowledge from the ground up plz someone point me in the right direction the only macro I've ever made was. A /yell roar or some crap for bgs
    Unprotected scripts are going out of macro syntax territory and into Lua (with /run). For starters, there's a Macro syntax guide linked in the Guides sticky.

I use:
    #showtooltip Ascendance
    /cast Elemental Mastery
    /cast Ascendance
    /cast Stormlash Totem

This is obv for shaman, and i have recently stopped using elemental mastery due to having plenty of gear, but yea as long as the sequence is all on one gcd then you can do it.

As for warriors they can put damn near their entire spellbook on one button.