High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Overclocking CPU questions?

Hello everyone I recently bought a new computer and was looking into overclocking it for some extra speed and smoothness. I do however have 2 questions?

Is my processor good enough to overclock? (AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz)

If I did overclock what is the risk of my computer blowing up or some other horror story I've heard?

That processor you can OC to 4.2 with auto settings. Just change your multiplier so it reads 4.2 - my old comp had that. Max temp I had was 30c @ 4.2 with Prime95

If you start messing with too high of a clock and messing with voltages you can damage your CPU, but beyond that you don't have much to worry about.

Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    Hello everyone I recently bought a new computer and was looking into overclocking it for some extra speed and smoothness. I do however have 2 questions?

Is my processor good enough to overclock? (AMD FX-4100 3.6GHz)

If I did overclock what is the risk of my computer blowing up or some other horror story I've heard?
    I have or we have one question, what cooler are you using? If stock, just forget overclocking.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    I have or we have one question, what cooler are you using? If stock, just forget overclocking.
    TBH, I don't really know. I bought a cheap pre-built off newegg on cyber monday.

Here's the build http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227437

Quote Originally Posted by -KeenaM- View Post
    TBH, I don't really know. I bought a cheap pre-built off newegg on cyber monday.

Here's the build http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883227437
    I just checked, seems like it's the amd stock cooler and this one should be a little bit more capable of overclocking than intel's one. Just changing the multiplier and saving & rebooting, this isn't a way really. The motherboard will overvolt it for a certain frequency and you can run into heat issues. So you have to be very precise with the voltage. I would say test for now your temperatures with prime95 small fft's with coretemp as monitortool. Use cpu-z to check what the Vcore is like.

Give us the voltage during prime95 and your temps.