Page 1 of 2
LastLast

10M Garalon (normal), help needed!

Hey all,

Our guild has been stuck on Garalon for the last few weeks now, so I've decided to see if anyone can give us some tips. Our main problem seems to be healers not being able to keep people up, so we switched to a 1 tank 3 heals 6 dps setup, and we still are having problems. The three healers and the mage are on the Pheromones rotation.

Can anyone give some tips to try and improve our performance on the whole?

Overview can be found here:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/1fy16y281lph3ryc/

Healing done:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/1fy16y281lph3ryc/sum/healingDone/
    Last edited by Inthrall; 2012-12-10 at 02:20 AM.

Deleted
    Have 4 people assigned to kitting, switch at around 20 stacks. Having your range not running about bunched up in the center can alleviate healing, if you chose to do this your range will just be turrets aside from kitting (this method does however increase the duration of the fight). Call out a raid CD for every stomp. Don't hesitate to have your tanks do the kitting.

I'd avoid having healers on kitting, I'd suggest your tank/s (don't forget 2 people must take his cone attack) and 3 worst dps do it. Your hunter is doing pretty poorly on dps I'd definitely get him doing some of it.

Your mage although kitting could do a whole lot more by jumping on legs and spreading combustions (have him only focus the legs towards the inside of the room to ensure he doesn't wander out of healing range.).
    Last edited by mmoc472a5d728c; 2012-12-10 at 02:34 AM.

Okay, with tanks running the Pheromones, what was the easiest way that you found to perform the switch? We kept getting our tanks running too close together and causing early crush wipes, or the switcher getting hit by the cone attack.

Deleted
    Have one tank hug the boss and the other one with pheromones stay as far back as possible in range for his cone attack. When they trade all they have to do is switch positions by crossing over each other. Cone attack I believe is on your boss mod timer so its really up to your dps to use common sense when picking it off the tank.

Cool, thanks for the quick replies. Does anyone have some tips for our healers to help with keeping the raid up through crushes?

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 03:08 AM ----------

Apparently I can't reply to the PM's until I hit 10 posts, but thanks for the tip I'l have a chat with the disc priest and see what I can do to help his heals out.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    I really don't think you're going to have the DPS to 2 tank / 3 heal this with your current comp (unless your DPS step it up). Looking specifically at attempt #4, #25 & #26 (your longest attempts) your highest raid DPS was 460k. You're going to need around 530k raid DPS to beat enrage.

You need 4 people you can reliably trust kiting Pheromones. Since you're 3 healing this one of the healers has to do it, or drop a healer (the priest) and 2 heal it. I'd probably recommend your priest kite Pheromones with your Guardian tank, the mage and hunter. I would probably keep your DK as dps for this fight and make a decision on whether he or your warrior soaks swipes. Basically who ever is the better DPS between the 2 doesn't get stuck on swipe soaking duty.

To help your healers your Pheromone kiters need to communicate and make sure they're always passing Pheromones around 15-20 stacks. Your healers could also use a heads up on when a switch is coming so they can prepare for a crush, although with 3 heals (especially a resto druid) this shouldn't even be an issue. Just get more DPS...it will make this fight a lot easier for you.
    Last edited by rated; 2012-12-10 at 03:14 AM.

Deleted
    Tank first 20 stacks > ele shaman > shadow priest > mage > hunter > repeat from ele shaman (only use tank again if shit hits the fan because LOL TANK CD's).

Kite in a square pattern, make sure dps understands he stands still during cleaves, so sometimes it's better to stand still for an extra second, once cleave starts, move.

People never TAKE debuff from kiting player, kiting player GIVES debuff to next person, it takes one application of the pheramones debuff to pass it along, sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes a whole second. So don't run around.

Rest of raid stack in middle on top of assigned healer (if you're kiting clockwise it's between Garalons RIGHT legs, while if you're kiting counter clockwise, it's between his LEFT legs)

???

Loot.

edit: also, your rogue must be doing something wrong. Tell rest of raid to tunnel Garalon (not legs) and let rogue go Bam Ham City on legs for maximum cleaving damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Inthrall View Post
    Hey all,

Our guild has been stuck on Garalon for the last few weeks now, so I've decided to see if anyone can give us some tips. Our main problem seems to be healers not being able to keep people up, so we switched to a 1 tank 3 heals 6 dps setup, and we still are having problems. The three healers and the mage are on the Pheromones rotation.

Can anyone give some tips to try and improve our performance on the whole?

Overview can be found here:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/1fy16y281lph3ryc/

Healing done:
    worldoflogs.com/reports/1fy16y281lph3ryc/sum/healingDone/

Your disc priest is bad, and needs to be replaced. That alone will help you get the kill.

Like omg he didn't cast Prayer of Healing even ONCE on any of your attempts....

Spamming PW:Shield. Honestly you REALLY need to replace him.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullblod View Post
    Tank first 20 stacks > ele shaman > shadow priest > mage > hunter > repeat from ele shaman (only use tank again if shit hits the fan because LOL TANK CD's).

Kite in a square pattern, make sure dps understands he stands still during cleaves, so sometimes it's better to stand still for an extra second, once cleave starts, move.

People never TAKE debuff from kiting player, kiting player GIVES debuff to next person, it takes one application of the pheramones debuff to pass it along, sometimes it's quick, sometimes it takes a whole second. So don't run around.

Rest of raid stack in middle on top of assigned healer (if you're kiting clockwise it's between Garalons RIGHT legs, while if you're kiting counter clockwise, it's between his LEFT legs)

???

Loot.

edit: also, your rogue must be doing something wrong. Tell rest of raid to tunnel Garalon (not legs) and let rogue go Bam Ham City on legs for maximum cleaving damage.

^^ His comp has no elly shaman or shadow priest

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    Your disc priest is bad, and needs to be replaced. That alone will help you get the kill.

Like omg he didn't cast Prayer of Healing even ONCE on any of your attempts....

Spamming PW:Shield. Honestly you REALLY need to replace him.
    Seriously that priest is awful. 0 Prayer of Healing casts and 7m Spirit Shell absorbs across 26 attempts is totally unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Karragon View Post
    I'd like WoW to be a single player game

I keep looking at the logs of the priest thinking, surley he can't be this bad...

Hoping to find some sort of reason to think I am missing something...

No, no i am not missing anything. I am seeing exactly what I am seeing...

Yeah, the disc priest is usually shadow, but we asked him to respec as the healers were having trouble.

We just got him/it/that down this week, after being stuck for a couple of weeks.
    We have 2 tanks, a monk and a warrior.
    3 runners, all ranged dps. (ele shaman, affli lock and mage) They swap at around 25-30 stacks. The real trick is for them to get comfortable doing good dps, while executing the pheromones perfectly.
    3 healers; a paladin healing the runner, and the tanks. A monk who heals whatever's in range, but he lurks around the middle of the room. And then a priest for the melee, but it also healing whatever's in range. Even though they nerfed it, having at least 2 melee is essential.

Our dk isnt the strongest one out there, but he pulls off 100-120k dps on Garalon anyhow.
    We spread out our raid cd's. Devotion aura first, then Divine hymn. Then the raidwide monk heal, coupled with spells like the warrior banner and such.
    It surely took some time and practise to get it down, but thats all there is too it.

We beat the berserk timer by 8 seconds, with only the shaman and the priest still standing. We had full control until the last 4-5% though.

Main difference seems to be what people are using as runners. Since im healing, I immediately thought it would be too much running and keeping people up, but the trade-off is losing dps ofcourse. Our runners are usually around 60k, but all of them says they will get higher, with more practise.

Good luck, and he will fall eventually. It just takes some time for everyone to adapt to the way of doing it.

it being an offspec is not really an excuse for how thoroughly he has no idea what he's doing. It literally looks like he's never healed before and (or at least not since wrath). Dpriests only PW:S for rapture and to prevent deaths, they basically NEVER renew (except while moving) and spirit shell makes up a HUGE portion of their healing. The vast majority of your druid's healing was from rejuv which also doesnt seem right, he should be using WG on cooldown and efflorescence on the ranged stack, plus tranq basically on cooldown as soon as the raid needs it.

Have him go back to shadow, and use dps raid cooldowns. His HPS(e) as a healer is 27k, a spriest can do about 10 with VE plus you'll kill the boss faster
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2012-12-10 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    Have him go back to shadow, and use dps raid cooldowns. His HPS(e) as a healer is 27k, a spriest can do about 10 with VE plus you'll kill the boss faster
    Odds are will do this if he can't pick it up for next time, and thanks for the replies everyone, keep 'em coming!

Now I don't recall if Garalon was changed to crush on a timer instead of on pheromone switch, but (as with all encounters) the bottom line is the communication. Make sure the healers know well in advance that the crush is coming, so people can be topped, and a raidcooldown can be decided. It helps to make a raidcooldown macro before, and post it periodically during the fight (/rw Tranq, Banner + Cry, Bubble, Spirit link + Cry 2, etc etc, whatever your comp is made of). This will add organization in the chaos that seems to be your healing right now.

Furthermore, I understand you're not running with world top players and that's fine - but make sure you put the right people on the right job. Typically this means that, yes, a rogue should be able to be really good here, but if he's not, why don't you go 1 tank, have the rogue feint soak, and bring an extra dps in? Just an example. I understand your priest is unsure what he's doing, for example, and in all honesty I'll be surprised if he's a very good dps. If he's not, have him kite a lot. Use him primarily for raid cooldowns, hymns, and don't give him complicated jobs like multidotting - let him sit on the body if he's not kiting (no offense mister priest, I have no idea about your skill - this is just an example). When I was leading a raid with some people who weren't sure what they were doing all the time, I didn't go "well you're a rogue/priest/warlock and therefore you SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO THIS" and bang our heads against an unkillable encounter for weeks just because we insisted on this. Instead, for example, though disc priests were arguably very good on saurfang for example, I let him play holy and tunnel 1 guy, namely 1 tank, as I was fairly certain he was clicking portraits and then clicking his spells. Not ideal for multishielding. Other healers therefore could most of the time ignore this 1 tank and focus on tasks we gave them according to their individual skills.

But, this does not mean you should ignore class advantages and disadvantages. Like, let the cleave classes cleave. Going to pull a few tactics out of my arse here to illustrate: Let the warriors, rogues and dks be on the legs that are on the inside of the room. The outer legs, that are more likely to be sitting in the pheromone pools, could be nuked by tanks/soakers and ranged. Or, you could have classes designated to be on the boss at all times, like your mage, who can spread his dots from the body anyway, and have melee only be on back legs, while multidotters multidot away on all legs. Or if you prefer to get legs down faster, multidotting will be a waste of their dps, and you let them kite or focus on the body instead while your bursty classes make short work of legs. In short: look at how your comp is and try to maximize dps and healing output by making use of everyone's individual strengths and according to what tactic you're trying to down the boss. Organize the raid, make sure everyone knows what they should be nuking and when, what cooldown should be up when, and who is kiting the boss where.

That alone should really help you forward, I'd say. I'm sorry I can't be of more specific help, I'm really horrible at dissecting logs, and besides, you know your raiders best of all anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    I keep looking at the logs of the priest thinking, surley he can't be this bad...

Hoping to find some sort of reason to think I am missing something...

No, no i am not missing anything. I am seeing exactly what I am seeing...

Seems his healing is about on par with the quality of your advice.

Deleted
    Just to add something that hasn't been mentioned yet, you had a lot of applications of Fury on the boss. I didn't look at all the tries, just the one that made it to enrage. When 2 people don't get hit by the cone, he gets a stacking +dmg and movement speed buff. This got applied 40 times over the course of the fight, if you avoid this it will be easier to heal, and you might find that you can then step down to 2 healers (which we found was needed to beat the enrage timer).

Being a Mistweaver, I make the healing of the encounter very easy for our raiding team. If you really want to get this kill, and kills further beyond have the Discipline Priest improve (Greatly) or replace him with either a Holy Paladin or a Mistweaver.

You don't have a Warlock, so you don't have any Healthstones so that isn't going to help either. One of the important things then is your careful use of raid cooldowns and keeping your team as close together as possible to make the most of your healing. Have your Druid use their Wild Growth just before the crush comes down, so that they have a HoT on the raid while stunned. This'll tick people over any Pheromone damage that is done during that point.

When you pull the boss, have your DPS start on the left leg closest to the raid (When facing the boss), and move around clockwise. Then focus purely on two legs, whichever two are on the inside of the pheromone pools, so your damage dealers don't have to walk through them.

Also as others have said, use four people to pass the pheromone around and ensure the use of personal and raid cooldowns.

Deleted
    monk healer for this fight is so good. Once we had to cover our absent member and we took monk, it was very easy to 2 heal this, he was doing 100khps, when I was doing around 60k on my pally. In our usual kills we have to use 3 healers and not one of us is taking pheromones it really hurts your healing. As for crashes - well just keep people topped before it happens.