F keys to target allys

I find it uncomfortable to use the f keys to target allys, tho i just started doing it i was wondering if its like this for everyone, do you eventually get used to it?

No, you don't get used to it - You get a healing addon!

I had to reread this and get my brain parts moving to realize you were talking about F1-F5 lol (at first I thought "F" was default "Target nearest friendly" but I'm pretty sure that's "Ctrl+Tab" =p)

But yeah, do yourself a favor and get some sort of healing addon (or nowadays the default "Raid frames" aren't all that bad). One thing is for sure - you don't want to be using F1-F5 for healing for any lengthy period of time =)

Use raid frames for targeting allies, whether it be stock frames (which are fully functional), or use VuhDo (what most people prefer now), Grid, Healbot (even), or ElvUI frames. Notice you can move them around into a more convenient places too.

You should check out some of the UI threads. I can send you a screenshot of mine, it's really not the optimal UI at this moment (missing some work) but it works for heroic raids, and it uses a VERY small amount of addons/bloat.

Get proper raid/party frames and mouseover macros so you don't actually have to change target. It's a huge waste of APM since it would require two actions over one every time you throw a heal/whatever on someone.

This is for arena, sorry for not stating that in the beginning.

Well, you could make mouseover macros.
    And then some OH SHIT macros that cast directly on your ally without the need of targeting them
    This way you can always have your enemy targeted for fast interrupts/CCs and see when they cast CCs.

This is how I do it atleast :P Mostly because I'm used to be Ret, and then I cant afford losing a autoattack by targeting an ally when tossing out a heal

Code:
    Party heal
    /cast [mod:shift, @party1] Word of Glory
    /cast [mod:alt, @party2] Word of Glory
    /cast [nomod, @player] Word of Glory
    Will heal your party members, depending on what mod button you hold in

Code:
    Focus/target CC
    /cast [mod:shift, @focus] Hammer of Justice
    /cast [nomod, @target] Hammer of Justice
    Will CC/Stun your focus target if shift is pressed, otherwise it will stun your target

Code:
    Arena CC
    /cast [mod:shit, @arena1] Repentance
    /cast [mod:alt, @arena2] Repentance
    /cast [mod:ctrl, @arena3] Repentance
    /cast [nomod, @target] Repentance
    Will CC your enemy arena targets, depending on modifiers. Otherwise your target

Code:
    Mouseover Heal
    /cast [@mouseover, help] [ ] Flash of Light
    Will heal your mouseover friendly targets, if no friendly is mouseovered it will act as you press the spell with no macro - heal your target or yourself if no friendly target is targeted.

These macros may be wrong, early in the morning :P But they are pretty basic

---------- Post added 2012-12-10 at 09:38 AM ----------

And I bet a google search with the words: WoW macro paladin
    Will give you a bunch of results
    Last edited by Noxina; 2012-12-10 at 08:36 AM. Reason: Added mouseover macro
    Quote Originally Posted by atenime45 View Post
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Phryke View Post
    This is for arena, sorry for not stating that in the beginning.
    You can still use stock raid frames or an addon, and most people would highly recommend doing so (unless you plan on competing in tournaments where addons aren't allowed)

The F keys are very inefficient

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post
    You can still use stock raid frames or an addon, and most people would highly recommend doing so (unless you plan on competing in tournaments where addons aren't allowed)

Indeed, as they take two clicks to get a heal of - losing time.

Press F2, press 5 to heal. Thats two clicks.. That can be crucial in PvP
    The 10% reward. It's was unspoken rule that you DONT attack other faction so everyone could enjoy the 10% reward. But now no one cares about that anymore

10+ Year Old Account
    I use mouse-over macros for healing and dispels in arenas and RBGs, haven't had a problem tbh. My F-keys are bound to some particular CDs that have a 1min or less CD. I use ElvUI and moved the party+raid frames to the middle of the screen for ease of access without losing much visibility. It's certainly doable not using F-keys at all, I've just gotten used to using them in the manner stated above (for all chars actually).

PS. I know this is the Pally forums, but figured the topic was relevant to really any kind of healer. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by Dubalicious View Post

I see all the pros use the F keys that is all they use. I'm really not a fan of clicking either i really don't like to use the mouse that often to click.

I see all the pros use the F keys that is all they use. I'm really not a fan of clicking either i really don't like to use the mouse that often to click.
    Are you sure? There might be macros or binds you don't know about. A gaming mouse might be there. And also you can rebind the function keys and as Nonslid pointed out you can make @arena1 and @party1 macros; I know that is what a lot of pros do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hmm... When I heal I use mouse over macros and grid = stupid easy. No need to click on your allies portrait to heal. Just mouse over their portrait/icon and click the heal button. = quick easy healing without relying on healbot to "tell" you what to do.

Using te F keys wont speed up you're play style for sure, as you need to press F2 then your healing spell - two clicks.
    Insted of making a macro:
    Code:
    /cast [@party1] Random Heal

10+ Year Old Account
    Back when I did 3s, a lot I used mouse up and mouse down to target party 1 and 2. Using the party macros Nonslid posted is good advice.
    Last edited by Freia; 2012-12-10 at 03:32 PM.

I watch Zilea stream and it his comments under the stream he said he uses f keys to target ally's and shift F keys to target enemy's O.O, I hit 2k before just by clicking, I'm trying to avoid that now, the mouse wheel idea seems good

I watch Zilea stream and it his comments under the stream he said he uses f keys to target ally's and shift F keys to target enemy's
    I wouldn't doubt that. I also wouldn't doubt there are still @arena1, @party1 macros in addition to that.

Quote Originally Posted by voidspark View Post
    I wouldn't doubt that. I also wouldn't doubt there are still @arena1, @party1 macros in addition to that.

idk im pretty sure he also said he uses almost no macros. i dont see any macros on his bars really except for like 2

idk im pretty sure he also said he uses almost no macros. i dont see any macros on his bars really except for like 2
    It's pretty simple, if you think that emulating a top player will make you improve as a player, then go for it! Personally, I prefer comfort over what somebody else has found works for them, but it's purely preference and probably something that could BECOME comfortable after working at it.

I just watched a clip of one of his streams, he most certainly has macros (I see macros for Rebuke, HoJ, SoL (not sure what this would be for lol), mounting, some sort of focus macro, etc.). He also uses a macro/script to move arena frames. He certainly isn't utilizing a TON of macros, but they're there.

I have very little high level PvP experience, so I can't even tell you if using F keys are common at that level of play. I think it's probably likely for tournament-level competitors, but outside of that I'm skeptical that's it's a widely used setup (again, I could be very wrong with my lack of PvP experience)

My advice - if you think it's something that will improve you - try it! Work at it, see if it becomes more natural and actually does improve your performance.

how many buttons or keybindings are we cappable to handle if we will have more and more spells everytime we lvl up !!

Quote Originally Posted by Matrlx View Post
    how many buttons or keybindings are we cappable to handle if we will have more and more spells everytime we lvl up !!
    Well, I got the normal setup on my keyboard (WAD for moving. 1-6, Q, E, T, F, G, C, V for spells. Shift, Alt, Ctrl as modifiers. + the Razer naga that gives me 12 more buttons.), and I need to say - I got more than enough keybindings. I rather lack macro slots : / As I love to macro everything! Cast on party 1-3 for all my hands, all my instant heals (WoG and FoL specced), Cleanse, Turn Evil auto pet cast, focus stun/CC etc etc etc.

So theoreticly I got about 70-80 keybinds avaible for me atm. Take away the naga and I got about 30-40 wich should be enough. But I dont realy like the Ctrl, find it hard to hit with my thumb in OH SHIT moments.

So yeah, we got more than enough key bindings