Thread: Hotline Miami

10+ Year Old Account

Hotline Miami

I feel compelled to put this out there after having picked the game up on Steam for 50% off (so ~5 bucks thru the weekend). I started it up after getting in around midnight from the bar, thinking it would be good for a half hour or so before bed, and damn if it isn't near 6 am now. I haven't had an experience like this with a game in a long time; if you are an old school gamer this is simply something you must pick up.

It has an incredible retro feel, with graphics that are straight out of the NES, and an amazing soundtrack. I haven't finished it yet, but so far the same can be said about both the gameplay and story...it is deceptively simple, oddly brutal, weird and amazing.

It's a top down game where each level basically consists of simply killing all the 'bad guys'. It's ultra violent, and despite the 16 bit style graphics they squeeze quite a lot of detail into various death animations. There are a wide variety of weapons that do all manage to handle a little differently. You can handle combat differently depending on what you have to work with and what your style is, and weapon placement and enemy patrols are somewhat randomized between attempts, which keeps it fresh. You can't simply memorize a whole level.

It's also fairly difficult, but in the fun, rewarding old school Nintendo style difficult. Yell at the screen, toss the controller, immediately pick it up and start again difficult. Not nearly as soul crushing as Super Meat Boy though, so that's kind of a frame of reference.

If you happen to check out reviews some say it was very buggy on release, but at least for me none of that has shown up. They have also added controller support for the 360 controller, which has felt much better for me than the keys.

All in all, amazing game...I already bought two more copies to send to some friends, I really can't recommend it more to anyone who loves old school games, or for any young gameheads willing to try something a little different. Like I said...on sale 50% off thru the weekend on Steam.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    It, Crusader Kings 2, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored compete fir goty this year imo, which is exceptional considering it's an indie game. I just wish it had a level designer or something so it could have unlimited content...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vanin View Post
    It, Crusader Kings 2, Far Cry 3 and Dishonored compete fir goty this year imo, which is exceptional considering it's an indie game. I just wish it had a level designer or something so it could have unlimited content...
    I saw some internet chatter indicating the developer is considering making a map editor.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shokter View Post
    I saw some internet chatter indicating the developer is considering making a map editor.
    That'd be awesome, I would be all over it.

I just purchased the game all I can say is its epic....Love the music

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda liked the gameplay but the visuals... i'm not too comfortable looking at the screen that's kind of slowly waving, makes me a bit dizzy, I'm still thinking wether to buy it or not, or wait for a posible sequel (afaik it is in process)

Though Hotline Miami was fantastic. Very close to being my game of the year. I can't find fault with Hotline Miami's gameplay. Of course they nail the aesthetic and feel of a what is essentially a 1989 video filtered through Drive.

Kind of a brilliant video game.

[Extremely addictive too! You are always left with the sensation of, "I could do that better. Let me try again."]

Amazing game surprisingly. First time I've actually laughed repeatedly at dying only to try harder to do better.

Such a great game for 5 bucks.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by JustintimeSS View Post
    Amazing game surprisingly. First time I've actually laughed repeatedly at dying only to try harder to do better.

Such a great game for 5 bucks.
    Awesome awesome game! I did feel the 'throwing kills mask' was a bit overpowered, but I had great great fun with it =)

10+ Year Old Account
    So glad this game got brought up. I've put in about an hour in a half so far and the short levels and effortless respawns make it really hard to walk away without completing the level once you start it. The only downfall for me was after about an hour my eyes started to hurt a little bit. But SOOOOOO much fun once you get the hang of the controls and can move around like you want. I would recommend this game to anyone looking for some cheap fun.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dPwnShop View Post
    The only downfall for me was after about an hour my eyes started to hurt a little bit.
    So funny. I don't know why...but old school style video games hurt my eyes too, while I can play any new gen game for hours on end without this problem. But anyway...you KNOW a game is good if it makes your eyes hurt.
    "Brevity is...wit"

Quote Originally Posted by Waervyn View Post
    Awesome awesome game! I did feel the 'throwing kills mask' was a bit overpowered, but I had great great fun with it =)
    I like Tony the Tiger. Fists of fury was just too powerful, especially against dogs. I don't have the throwing kills mask! So many of thems!

Also, the music is just fantastic.