Best 15 inch gaming laptop?

Looking to get a 15 inch gaming laptop as I cant stand desktops and I need it to be small enough to be portable to work. I want a SSD. Best I can come up with is one from originpc but I am not a fan of their keyboard or mouse pad (from a visual perspective the fingerprint analyzer in the middle of the mousepad looks like it could be annoying and the keyboard is not chiclet).

Deleted
    http://usa.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming...specifications

Can opt to buy it with a 128gb SSD. I have to say it's not the best looking laptop in the world but I am a personal fan of Asus products.

Deleted
    budget? also asus machines are usually the way to go with good gpu power and screen quality.

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    MSI makes a good Laptop I like them and haven't had a problem with mine.

Money is not that big of a concern of mine as I have plenty but I would prefer not to spend more than 2k.

I noticed the asus has only a 660m which is pretty poor performance. I was looking to get a 675mx or better.

Also, the asus does not look professional. As a lawyer, I have to be concerned with appearances and cannot go into a meeting with that thing. Origin PC can look professional which is a big plus. What I was looking at was the following:

DESCRIPTION
    EON15-S
    Details
    Laptop Platform: EON15-S
    The ORIGIN Difference: Truly Custom PC's. Want a component that is not on our site? Call or email us and we will include it in your system.
    Display Type: 1920 x 1080 15.6" FHD LED Backlit Matte Display
    Customizable Backlit Keyboard: Customizable Backlit Keyboard Software with Three Lighting Zones and Seven Color options
    Graphic Cards: Single 4GB GDDR5 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX
    Processors: Intel Core i7 3740QM Quad-Core 2.70GHz (3.70GHz TurboBoost), 6MB Cache
    Memory: 16GB DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)
    Operating System: Genuine MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit Edition
    Optical Drive: 8X DVD+/-R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive (No DVD Playback Software for Windows 8 Included)
    Hard Drive One: 120GB Corsair Force GT
    Optical Bay Hard Drive Caddy : None
    Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio with THX TruStudio Pro and up to 7.1 Channel support
    Networking: Wi-Fi Link 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module with Bluetooth - Up to 300 Mbps
    SuperSpeed USB 3.0: SuperSpeed USB 3.0 Ports
    Media Card Reader: Media Card Reader
    Finger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Fingerprint Reader
    Web Camera: Built-in 2.0 Megapixel Video Camera
    Warranty: 1 Year Part Replacement and 45 Day Free Shipping Warranty with Lifetime Labor/24-7 Support
    ORIGIN Recovery: ORIGIN Recovery Media
    No Dead Pixel Guarantee: 45 Day No Dead Pixel Guarantee Free
    Free ORIGIN T-shirt: ORIGIN PC T-Shirt XLarge
    Web Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer

Price is 1945.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-12-10 at 04:45 PM.

How about the MSI 16F3 from XOTICPC?

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerzzzz View Post
    How about the MSI 16F3 from XOTICPC?
    That one is good but costs an extra 200 for the same specs. 10% increase in price doesnt seem fair for what is essentially a chiclet keyboard upgrade.

Actually, it does have the 680m instead of the 675 mx so thats a bit of an upgrade... whether the difference is worth 200 is something I have to think about.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-12-10 at 04:55 PM.

It's because you get the 680M instead of the 675MX which is a fair bit more powerful.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm trying to post less just to call people stupid because they frown upon that sort of thing here but come on.

As soon as you see that in the description of the laptop, it should throw red flags up all over the place. The web browser should not be in the description considering you can download whatever browser software you'd like.

If you honestly need a laptop for gaming, and that is your last option to play games on, what you linked is a fair machine to handle whatever game you want at high settings. Ignoring the fact that "gaming laptops" are the new users of the Apple business plan to overcharge hardware like crazy, gaming on a laptop is still inefficient in so many aspects.

Deleted
    The Dell XPS range is great for gaming capability, whilst now not looking quite so flashy gamer laptop. I have the 17" version and its really good.

People that rage at having a "gaming laptop" are so funny. Most of us that have the gaming laptop have a rig at home as well, the laptop is for mobility.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jbhasban View Post
    as I cant stand desktops
    I have one as well, it did what I needed it to while I was at college and now while I'm at work. It's not the greatest, I regret the purchase, but I also recognize the fact of how much they overcharge for them.

It's one thing to blindly hate something. It's another to hate it because of how poorly informed some people can be that buy them.

Most common computer sites are blocked on this work computer, so I can't recommend a specific laptop, but I haven't ever gone wrong with an Asus product.

Deleted
    define how a gaming laptop should look professional? (or rather how a asus one is not?)
    ultrabook is also an option if mobility takes prio over performance. (15" zenbook is expensive though)

Quote Originally Posted by Aceda View Post
    I'm trying to post less just to call people stupid because they frown upon that sort of thing here but come on.

As soon as you see that in the description of the laptop, it should throw red flags up all over the place. The web browser should not be in the description considering you can download whatever browser software you'd like.

If you honestly need a laptop for gaming, and that is your last option to play games on, what you linked is a fair machine to handle whatever game you want at high settings. Ignoring the fact that "gaming laptops" are the new users of the Apple business plan to overcharge hardware like crazy, gaming on a laptop is still inefficient in so many aspects.
    You can select what browser origin installs. They allow you to choose from around 5 and you can get whatever you want. It is a matter of convenience for you (they don't charge for it). So it seems you are the stupid one here.

I hate desktops because I don't like sitting in chairs when I am home and prefer to be laying in my bed most of the time. It isnt realistic to play on a desktop from my bed. Yeah, I know I would play better if I were seated with a proper mouse and keyboard set up. The thing is, I don't mind dealing with the lack of precision I get by putting the mouse pad on the bed and playing with the computer wresting on my knee/leg.

I work 8-12 hours a day and go to the gym for a couple hours every day. When I get home, after making dinner it is around 8-9pm, I just want to lay down and I generally don't have the energy to play games so I tend to just watch tv on it. I play video games RARELY (maybe 5 hours a month) such that it makes little sense for me to own a machine dedicated to playing games. But I want something for the rare situation where I have time to burn. Also, I commute every weekend to my parents house to spend the weekend there. Bringing a desktop with me every time would be silly.

A laptop is professional looking if it is nondescript. It should not be flashy. The Asus one, with what I can only assume is an automobile inspired chassis, draws attention.

---------- Post added 2012-12-11 at 12:49 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Aceda View Post
    I have one as well, it did what I needed it to while I was at college and now while I'm at work. It's not the greatest, I regret the purchase, but I also recognize the fact of how much they overcharge for them.

It's one thing to blindly hate something. It's another to hate it because of how poorly informed some people can be that buy them.

Most common computer sites are blocked on this work computer, so I can't recommend a specific laptop, but I haven't ever gone wrong with an Asus product.
    I use to build my own desktops all throughout high school and college but I use to play video games 5-8 hours a day at that time too so it made sense to have a machine dedicated to that type of thing. I had a laptop that was functional for word and shit but couldn't do much multimedia. What a gaming laptop provides is a computer that can run multimedia applications well, games every now and then, and portability.

I tend to spend around $1500-2000 every few years on a new computer. It isn't that big of an expense for me. And yes, I realize laptops cost around 2x as much as a desktop (probably more) for the same speed. But it is the same speed whether I am in my house or whether I am in a hotel.
    Last edited by jbhasban; 2012-12-11 at 12:54 PM.

How about Lenovo Y580? 15.6-Inch with 1920 x 1080 Display Resolution. It add a 16GB SSD. Check here
    Last edited by carson11; 2012-12-12 at 04:30 AM.

Keyboard Turner
    1+ Year Old Account
    Most nursing schools in the United States advise their students to get a good-quality laptop computer when they enroll.