What happened to WoW detox ?

I used to enjoy those stories on that website.
    I am trying to find it but it gives me "404" error.
    Did Blizz send its suits and silenced that website ?

Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    Is the website exactly what its title implies? People trying to return to homeostasis after the long term substance abuse of the drug known as World of Wacraft?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vpywow View Post
    Or it just closed on its own. Hosting a well-used website isn't cheap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    Oh pfff, how would you know?!

oh right
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    I am sorry But that is as far as i have heard Bull S... accoring to a homepage i just looked up cost from 2 dollars each month to 200 dollars. So isn't cheap really?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    I am sorry But that is as far as i have heard Bull S... accoring to a homepage i just looked up cost from 2 dollars each month to 200 dollars. So isn't cheap really?
    Yip and if its "popular" then those costs go way, way, up. Its also not uncommon to use Dedicated servers for large and popular sites, and even then the site can be spread across many servers to lighten the loads.

It can be like $200 a yr for a basic site with a few hundred hits a month, to $20,000+ a yr for a popular site with many thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits a month.

You can damn well bet that even if 1/100th of the people who play wow visited that site the numbers and costs would be reasonable to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckd View Post
    to $20,000+ a yr for a popular site with many thousands or hundreds of thousands of hits a month.
    Holy shit, lol.

Please do actually run a website before you post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Assumi View Post
    Holy shit, lol.

Please do actually run a website before you post.
    I'm a software engineer, with a lot of experience in web applications and hosted sites.

What you're looking at is virtualized server space. What is this? Well a big-ass computer is split apart into multiple virtual machines that run multiple sites at a time in a cluster, slicing out a tiny bit of processing power, memory, space, and bandwidth for each. That's fine for mom & pop stuff like your personal blog or your most basic "I sell homemade soaps!" site.

For larger sites? It gets more expensive as the need for bandwidth & space increases. From one slice of that virtual machine you might need two. Or 3. Perhaps eventually you take over the entire machine, which gives you license to run things like your own web/windows services (a former client of mine has a Windows service I made that converts all of the most recent resumes on their site into a digest email, then sends that out to their clients) or sub sites...but costs a lot more. Depending on the size of the site, the need for security and redundancy, and the amount of data necessary (a database for one our current clients is 4 terabytes, or 4,000 gigabytes), you can end up needing multiple full servers that can cost tens of thousands in order to set up, license, and maintain. Tack on cost of employees to monitor that kind of thing and here we go...

Don't forget software costs. Most smaller stuff uses a license out of a set of licenses for Sql Server or Sharepoint or anything else you might need, but what happens if you own the server itself? You have to pay for that software. A common installation of Sharepoint is $40,000.

...now "wow-detox" was not one of those. Most likely all that happened is the owner decided the cost and time necessary to keep it up wasn't worth it and he closed it. Even if it was $20 a month, it was his/her choice that it was too much for him/her.
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2012-12-10 at 05:16 PM.

A common installation of Sharepoint is $40,000.
    Hah. Now I know why my boss ignores me when I comment that our version of Sharepoint is so old :P.
    ~ flarecde
    Reality is nothing; Perception is everything.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by flarecde View Post
    Hah. Now I know why my boss ignores me when I comment that our version of Sharepoint is so old :P.
    Yeah it can be expensive. Sql Server 2012, quick quote from Microsoft's Licensing is $7,000 for a single license, enterprise. For a small site, standard, price level D, no assurance or open license it's $700. Still, imagine that - costs of developing + Sql + servers...

It's a shame ******** is gone, I'm an ex wow addict and used to read up stories about people quitting and it helped me keeping out from playing Wow.

Oh and for all you guys still playing the game... I advise you do it casual. Real life > Pixel life