Deleted

What would you like to do in the open world?

Ghostcrawler asked this question to someone who says that he hates dailies. Blizzard wants people out in the world, which I agree with. So, how would you like to spend your time there?

Doing dailies? Something else?

Can we come up with a list of viable ideas to feed back to the devs?

You start.

Deleted
    Some kind of events. Let's say a town is attacked by Mantid and we have to defend it for 5 mins. When the time is over and we successfully defended this town we get valor points as a reward.

1) Treasure Hunts
    2) Obstacle Courses, Races, etc....
    3) Phased Vision Quests (move between far away locations without any armor, food, etc... - and through perilous areas).
    4) More Elite mobs (range in strength between regular quest mobs and world bosses).

I like Ganker's idea, though I'm not sure it warrants a vp reward unless we're talking very small like the dailies. I also like something that's been used in a couple other MMO's: jumping puzzles. For those who may not know, basically they put some sort of item up in an odd place and you have to figure out how to get up to it. In the case of WoW, it could be an item with lore on it for you to read when you reach it and then you'd get some sort of small reward for finding it. While leveling, it could reward xp, at max it could be rep or something. I also like the idea of more rare/elite mobs that could spawn in random points of the world and have specific loot tables. I think they should require a group though and then the loot they drop can be more valuable. Not necessarily world boss valuable, but better than quest level items. Maybe stick a few rare mount dropping bosses in the world like they did in Cata.

To me, the most important thing is to give the player options. Right now, there really aren't any and it seems more often than not, that's the case. They put in one way of doing things and that's the only way. If we have choices, people can CHOOSE how and what to do rather than being forced to do it one way. It doesnt matter if 80% of people do it one way, people still need a choice.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love if world pvp could be brought back into the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually was thinking about this the other day, I say start a new system that is similar to the quest board in major cities, but have them be random PVE and PVP scenarios that send players to completely random places in Kalimdor/Eastern Kingdoms/Northrend/Outland/(maybe Pandaria). So pretty much if it's a PVE one you get to the random area and there's a group of NPC's you turn the quest into and then you have to fight the boss, it dies and you turn the quest in, giving you valor/justice. But IMO they should make these bosses using the kind of randomly generated technology they use in Diablo with rare/elite packs, but these bosses would actually require a 5-10 man group or something like that so people would have to pug or just get a group of friends together. I feel like this would tend the the players who say LFD/LFR ruined community.

For the PVP it would be a similar situation, you get a quest from the board and go to a random place in WoW, there'd be two bases with friendly NPCs for Alliance and Horde, you turn your quest in and get one that is "kill x amount of alliance/horde players" and "kill the main chief of the opposing faction". The cheif/leader would be an NPC kind of like the bosses in AV/IoC but players on that team would be able to heal that npc and give them buffs so the NPC wouldnt die easily and he/she would be fighting with players on the battle field(This NPC would also be a randomly generated boss, maybe it would be a different class role every day, a caster dps, tank, healer, or melee). and maybe add something like wintergrasp where players get higher rank the more enemy players they kill and it would cap at some point. Eventually one faction wins and even if your faction loses you still get honor from kills, but you would only get conquest if you won and turned in that quest.

Bear with me here im just spitting out thoughts its very rough and im not that great at sentence forming/punctuation but I encourage people to criticize and add to what I've said!

EDIT- So I guess this would be adding another daily in the game, but I feel like it wouldn't just be boring and repetitive because it would be randomly generated.
    Last edited by Cafua; 2012-12-10 at 04:58 PM.

Deleted
    I must say, I like the idea of a board with a massive list of randomized quests a lot. I would not mind grinding for rare material to craft something worthwhile either.

It is a pity that it will be abused, but I would love the board idea to be expanded so that players can create tasks or quests. But just imagine the spam we will see there...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by creb99 View Post
    I must say, I like the idea of a board with a massive list of randomized quests a lot. I would not mind grinding for rare material to craft something worthwhile either.

It is a pity that it will be abused, but I would love the board idea to be expanded so that players can create tasks or quests. But just imagine the spam we will see there...
    Yeah I was just thinking of PVE/PVP. Didn't even think of professions or maybe even class specific quests where you would need multiple mages/priests/whatever of different specs and such. Or they could even combine PVE situations with gathering professions, you know like a random gnoll/murloc guarding a mine full of precious ores or a patch or rare herbs. and these could be solo or require a group of people depending on the quest

The problem is flying mounts, they trivialize a lot of what you do in the open world. You don't have to fight more then a few mobs here and there because you can fly over them. Same issue with 'world pvp', it's pretty hard to pvp when being half an inch off the ground on a flying mount stops half the abilities in the game.

Flyers are useful, but they really really really hurt a lot of the open world experience. They trivialize questing, exploring, gathering, or anything else you can do since you just fly over anything you don't want to fight or go around.

Just my two cents.

Im out in the world for:

farming
    rare NPCs
    dailies
    world bosses
    desirable rare items (Kafa Press <3)
    going places I like to immerse myself in because they are more aesthetically pleasing than sitting in a city, though Shrine is beautiful, Stormwind was definitely *not* on par.
    World PvP would be nice if you weren't required to have pvp gear for it and certain classes couldn't one shot you as soon as they closed the gap unless you have resilience cap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spraxle View Post
    The problem is flying mounts, they trivialize a lot of what you do in the open world. You don't have to fight more then a few mobs here and there because you can fly over them. Same issue with 'world pvp', it's pretty hard to pvp when being half an inch off the ground on a flying mount stops half the abilities in the game.

Flyers are useful, but they really really really hurt a lot of the open world experience. They trivialize questing, exploring, gathering, or anything else you can do since you just fly over anything you don't want to fight or go around.

Just my two cents.
    I agree with this so much, personally I feel like they should only make flying available in the current content zones. This would probably piss people off but at the same time its like, SLOW DOWN, I used to have so much fun running to and from places on foot and on my ground mount because I would just see everything and every once in a while I would come upon a rare, now its just like oh Im going to go do this and i need to get there ASAP. I dont understand why blizz caved in with azeroth flying, just because flight paths got people where they needed to be and still work fine.

I really loved the idea of having all those rare mobs everywhere and giving an achievement for that. I had a lot of fun hunting them all down. I would love to see more stuff like that, maybe on an even bigger and more complex scale. I would like to see even more hidden stuff, events and stuff like that.

I also don't have this paranoid aversion against dailies like some people have. I like the fact that there's so many factions out there. I do them one at a time.

Blizzard really DID manage to take me out into the world a LOT more than in Cata, I gotta give 'em that.

10+ Year Old Account
    What I loved on a private server was GM's playing Hide 'n Seek in the world with the players, that could work in retail also.
    Rairu - Mage
    gnomemasterrace

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zephid View Post
    I would love if world pvp could be brought back into the game.
    Its not like Blizzard can bring it back but people that actually play it. Anyway IMO world PvP is back, you can see fights all over Pandaria.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Some kind of events. Let's say a town is attacked by Mantid and we have to defend it for 5 mins. When the time is over and we successfully defended this town we get valor points as a reward.
    How is that not a daily? Just curious...if it's regularly repeatable, it's a daily quest of some sort.

I'm not against events, of course, but I like choosing that they happen, with scenarios, though I wouldn't mind a Rift-like invasion event that occurs randomly in high-level areas (to prevent it from interfering with low-levels).

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Errr, have you tried GW2?

Its a valid question. People squak about dailies, and squak about world pvp happening on a pvp server thanks to CRZ, I think people need to just go play a single player RPG if they don't like daily quests and pvp on a pvp server.

GC version of an open world RPG: you go out into it and do the same things, every day, for weeks.

everyone elses view of an open world RPG: you go out into it and do whatever the hell you want. fishing. collecting herbs. talking to NPCs. following long interesting chains of quests that you havent done before. exploration. puzzles. highway robber. saving people. killing people. finding lost things. fixing broken things. making a home. finding a husband/wife. the list (should be) endless.

if it were down to me, i would get player housing in, right now. then make it so it can be decorated using trophies and items and materials that you need to collect from around the world. then get a competition going for people to take screenshots of their amazing homes to win a years free subscription. if that doesnt get people out in the world, give up. let people just stay in instances, if thats clearly how they want to play the game.

which leads to the big point; what exactly is so wrong about players wanting to decide how they play the game? what is it in the psyche of Blizzard that means they have to TELL people how they should play?
    When challenging a Kzin, a simple scream of rage is sufficient. You scream and you leap.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Carlin
    Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Douglas Adams
    It is a well-known fact that those people who must want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it... anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.